Author Topic: How well do you like your KX250F/K5 conversion  (Read 64322 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: How well do you like your KX250F/K5 conversion
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
Since I had to cut some of the length off the new frame rails I used the scrap piece to test fit the new rails.
To make it fit smooth and clean I filed two of the four corners from the test piece so that it would fit the radius of the frame guide:

Once I filed a small bit from the two corners I was able slip the test piece in easily.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:57:00 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
Once I tuned up both frame rail guides I set the frame straight up to look at how well the new frame rails would fit.
Then I noticed that the frame rail guides are actually pigeon toed inward.

I took a look at the original carriage and sure enough the frame rails were bent to compensate for this.

It's hard to see but if you look close you will see the original rails are bent out.
Since the replacement rails are straight, they will not make full contact all the way back.
However, this is not a problem as there is plenty of weld surface.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:20:45 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
So, you remember this guy?

Well after a visit with Mr, Sawzall and the grinder, it looks like this:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
This gives you a really nice purchase point for the frame rails:

Offline jholt

• JMR Power SPorts Inc.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
Looking good Now get to welding so you can get this baby together.  I got to ride mine this weekend and what a blast you will be like a kid in a candy store when you get her together. I spent half the day at the track talking about it and the other half riding....  These thing really draw some attention and if they dont in the pits once you hit the track everyone starts going what is that thing cause it don't sound like a 250

all I can say it was fun building but once complete its twice as much fun..
Thanks
Joel Holt
JMR Power Sports Inc.
256-381-7556

2008 KX 500af

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
I can't wait.....
I'm trying to get mine done and out for a practice ride or two before I go to the dunes.
Unfortunately I have a lot going on right now..... but I'm getting there  8-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
Been busy with a million other things but I finally found some time to prep my engine for a rebuild.
When I originally started this project I was going to see how cheap I could do it.
As I got more into it I slowly changed my mind and decided that a full rebuild was in order.
I figured that even if I hated the bike when I got it done, I could always press in some 17mm inserts and run it in my KX5 which has a 11 year old engine that has only one ring and piston swap which was done last year.
Since I am not an engine builder I decided that I would send it off and have it rebuilt by a professional.
Unfortunately I do not know any local builders that are up to my expectations so in the mail it goes.
But, before I send it off I got thinking about if I was an engine builder, what would I like to see?
How about a dirty, grimy engine? No?
How about engine that is clean on the outside but untouched on the inside? Ok, but leaves a lot to be desired.
So, I decided that I would take it all apart, clean and inspect all the parts, and pre-order what I thought would be needed.
Of course, taking the engine completely apart means that every nut, bolt, and washer should be labeled and cleaned...
After all, do I want to pay a great engine builder to clean my parts?
So, with a little effort, every nut, bolt, and washer was cleaned and labeled to save him as much time and effort as possible.
I got as far as the exhaust valve asy today.

As you can see below, spending a few minutes cleaning can really speed up your builders inspection process.
What would you rather inspect, the valve on the left or the valve on the right?

All those engine builders out there feel free to contribute your feelings on this  :-D

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
To be honest it can work both ways

Since you taken your motor apart you know what condition its in and you will more then likely order most of the parts that you think it will need. Now you know what you have and the change of a engine builder selling you something you don't need is unlikely. The bad thing sometimes is the customer can do more harm by taking the motor apart that doesn't have the right tools or knowledge.

I would rather have a grease monkey motor that i have to clean and disassemble.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
I actually thought the same thing.
If I had not pulled a few thousand bikes apart and learned (sometimes the hard way) how to do it right without damage, I would have simply sent in in a lump.... Yes, a clean lump..... :-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
One other point, if I didn't trust my engine builder I would not send him a few thousand in parts and labor  :lol:

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
One other point, if I didn't trust my engine builder I would not send him a few thousand in parts and labor  :lol:

don't say that to loud about engine builder not beening trusted :-(

Motorrad

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
:x :x :x WOW don't even get me started on that topic...  :x :x :x

Also.. for me personaly... the dirt and grime on the parts tell Me. storys of what condition they are in.. they talk to ya in a way...

problems that may be hard to spot on a clean part... on a dirty one can stand up and SCREAM at you.. ..   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:19:28 PM by Motorrad »

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
Kx5 Power By Stewart Motorrad :?

Motorrad

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »
Kx5 Power By Stewart Motorrad :?

There is a reason there is a line through it.... with my name next to that...

EDIT:  I re-aranged it... get the point across better?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:30:36 PM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
Leave it to me to hit a nerve.
Sorry guys I didn't mean to go there.