Author Topic: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE 2000 KX500  (Read 32504 times)

Motorrad

Re: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE 2000 KX500
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
When riding cross country on the TAT (see ride reports). That d**n ethonal fuel ate the needle and seat out of 2 bikes. Had to ride across Oklahoma (top lengthwise) using pedcock as fuel regulator.. Had new needles shipped to Trinidad Colorado...   

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
YES FITZ IT'S THE ETHANOL!! I have it in 10% up here at the pumps in Maine and my weedeater just mysteriously broke last year too!! USE A MARINE GRADE STABILIZER IN ANY GAS YOU GET WITH THE 10% E, EVEN IF YOU ARENT STORING IT! TRUST ME
This last season I rode the 500 on:  91 Oct., 10% E Pump gas with K100-MG stabilizer, lucasoil octaine boost, and golden Spectro 50:1
And the frickin' thing was pingin' and poppin all over the place! It's definitly jetted too rich I think too, it backfired one time kicking it over and I swear it was louder than a shotgun blast!! I had to make sure I didn't blow the exaust gaskets out of it !! RETARDED, NEED BETTER FUEL AT THE PUMPS AMERICA! There is a dragstrip a town or two over, maybe I should go ask some of the drivers what they are using.
WILL HAVE MORE DEVELOPMENT ON THE BUILD SOON, NEW PICS OF MY SHOP TOO!BEEN A VERY BUSY BEE LATELY  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:05:30 PM by delphipro5 »

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
O.K. I think I finally have time to begin building again! The holidays killed me and work has Sucked, but I got my work area cleaned and sort of organized.

And have gotten my first shipment of parts in.

Nothing major just bars, controls, cables ect.,ect. I got my head bearing install/remover tools a while ago too.

Need to get going on the big stuff soon...

And there it sits, just waiting to be reborn
More cool stuff soon, I know I was out of the loop for a while but hopefully i'm back! :mrgreen:

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »
Welcome back. Parts pile is looking good. Nice benches. They made of 3/4" osb?
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »
A note on that kickstand.  Get the top tapered bolt 5mm longer and grind a nut thin so it clears the swing arm.  Double nutting the top bolt is cheap insurance!

Fitz

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:47 AM »
Welcome back. Parts pile is looking good. Nice benches. They made of 3/4" osb?

yeah, we make em' out of 3/4" advantech, they are tough as nails. We were thinkin about sellin them as a pre cut kit.
Cutting them correctly so they are perfect level is the toughest part, then they are pre-drilled and screwed with deck screws, nice bottom shelf that's removeable too. I'm not sure what the kit would go for if I made it?? but if yer' good :wink: go get some fresh advantech sheet and see what ya come up with!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:28:55 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »
Nice thread, keep it coming.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
Well, I finally have gotten a little further into the teardown and have found some really excellent parts for this build too! I had posted on T.T. the beginning of the week that I wanted the engine on the desk by wed.

Well it's fri., so a little longer than expected but I am VERY happy about how things are going so far.

The swingarm pivot bolt came out no prob.

I have not had to force a single thing to get this bike apart. It's in awsome shape!

My Shock before all the work.

As far as parts go for this thing, I got a Scotts st. damper w/ weld on tower and the BRP top clamp and bar mounts. (Scotts steering damp. triple tree combo pack.)

I had not known BRP made a lower triple too! Now I do, and I am sending my OEM lower with the stem in it to them to press out the stem and press it into thier lower, so my trees will be all BRP. They make a nice rear chain guide too, far better than stock.
Also got my silicone hose kit.

My rear sharkfin.

That's it for parts I have so far.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
where are the kawasaki genuine parts? you gettin any :?
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline alward25

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »
New parts are cool.  Sometimes it is hard to figure out where to start.
"Let there be light"

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
I had to make this two posts because this dialog box does weird things when you get to the bottom? It keeps jumping up and down when I type?? :? weird.
Any how, I will also be sending out my Carb. to Dicks racing very soon for them to do thier boring, and jetting, and upgrades. Also sending the head off to larry soon for comp. re. and polishing. The stem pressed into the new lower by BRP, and Bringing my forks and shocks to Fac. Conn. for them to do thier rework magic! LOTSA CASH! Been waiting a LONG time for this, definitley! Have not even begun to dive into the motor work yet, I may have to take a financial breather first 8-)! BUT not for too long :lol:! This thing is gonna be freakin' amazin' when I'm done with it! It is going to be somewhat of a frankinstien though, not really a one company scheme like U usually see for a caliber build like this.

I am convinced I need to run race gas in this thing, but does anyone know where I can get it? I live in northern Maine, And I want to run VP's U4.4 - I belive is what it is called. I would go to the extent of ordering,PROPERLY storing, and dispensing   a 55 Gal. drum of this stuff if I knew where to get it. Do I just order it direct from VP east and have it shipped to me? Is there any way to get it in smaller more manageable containers?
Look. I'm a newbie when it comes to race gas so a helping hand would be more appreciated than a scolding. But I can take constructive criticizim :-).
Thanks guys, enough for now :-P

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »

Why would you when there are far better parts out there??
I'm not rebuilding to restore to factory cond. I'm rebuilding it to FAR BETTER than factory condition.
If anyone want's the factory part's for this bike when they get it then they can have the one's that came off it! :lol: :lol: :-o just jokin' I know I know  :-D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:32:37 PM by delphipro5 »

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
I ordered the windowed wiesco from JFAB, hope to see it soon!!  :cry:

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »

Why would you when there are far better parts out there??
I'm not rebuilding to restore to factory cond. I'm rebuilding it to FAR BETTER than factory condition.
If anyone want's the factory part's for this bike when they get it then they can have the one's that came off it! :lol: :lol: :-o just jokin' I know I know  :-D

i rebuilt my 89 to factory, the ONLY non genuine parts i did not get were , crank bearings, rod kit, gasket / seal set, and wiseco piston kit , and suspension/wheel bearings, and bolts
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Good job, that is definitely a good thing. If you had one of these bikes still all stock, still in the crate, you could pretty much name your own price for it!

I love the classic 2-stroke Kawa?s and get great enjoyment from riding a standard OEM KX500. The same way I like riding in a Model-t at the owl?s head automotive museum! :lol: Great rides, all. But, time moves on along with technology, not utilizing that technology on the KX500 would not only eventually relegate this great 2-stroke platform to the annals of motocross trivia. But would also be a sad mistake. :|
I have no problem with the ?purists? but I plan on going in the opposite direction.
O.E.M. stock.......yawn! :evil: