Author Topic: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE 2000 KX500  (Read 32502 times)

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
Re: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE 2000 KX500
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
Good job, that is definitely a good thing. If you had one of these bikes still all stock, still in the crate, you could pretty much name your own price for it!

I love the classic 2-stroke Kawa?s and get great enjoyment from riding a standard OEM KX500. The same way I like riding in a Model-t at the owl?s head automotive museum! :lol: Great rides, all. But, time moves on along with technology, not utilizing that technology on the KX500 would not only eventually relegate this great 2-stroke platform to the annals of motocross trivia. But would also be a sad mistake. :|
I have no problem with the ?purists? but I plan on going in the opposite direction.
O.E.M. stock.......yawn! :evil:

ok you like after market stuff on your bike(s) , thats perfectley ok. but my mission was to make my 89 look like it did in 89
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Not here to alienate any one. to each his own.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
After more thought I am thinking maybe 100LL AV may be the answer. I can prob. get it locally and store and use it rather easily. I NEED to figure this out because I have my Carb. at Dick's racing and I NEED to specifiy which fuel I will be using so they can jet it accordingly. How would I go about telling them I plan on using AV fuel? will they be cool with that? Also I am sending my head to Larry Wiechman to have his Comp. Re. done and also the head work, so I will need to specify with him also the fuel used so he can machine it accordingly. Down to the wire now so I need to figure this out this week by Wed.  :?

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
So I took off my stator cover just to take a look, and I tested the coil resistance and found that blk/wh-blk/yel = 318.4 ohms and red/wh-blk/yel = 10.3 ohms. So I think it is out of spec., what do I do about that?
Also the gasket was leaky so it is a little corroded

that kind of blows.
 same thing with a few of my head bolts but they dont look too bad.

Here are some shots of my head and cylinder, what do you think?

At least that looks like it is in good shape, it has a lot of carbon but that will come right off. And what do you think does the cylinder look glazed at all? I think it looks pretty good.  :-P

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »
That cylinder looks very usable. Check around all port edges for any plating to be chipping away. I think a light hone job and you'll be go to go with that cylinder.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
Thanks hughes, Thats what I wanted to hear.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
I got to say, when I first started the engine work on this build I knew relativly little about any of it. Thanks to this site I am learning quite a bit! I know that who is doing the engine is compitent to do it, but he does not eat, breath, and pass- KX500 like some of us do :-D. But that is o.k. for now. this is my first 500 build, and I hope it is not the last! so I am still very low on the learning curve.
I have been getting a lot of stuff situated, soon I will be on the final build up stage of this and I will be posting some very cool pics of this monster as it goes back together. I hope I can be testing/dialing it before the snow starts again next fall.
 At least I got my beat up kdx220 to ride this summer! :roll: (can't get out of it's own way! :lol:)
 I live in maine and I hate the cold :|.... I don't even own a snowmobile :?.... I belong in so. cal. :oops:....
 :? really, what am I doing up here in the sticks :?

P.S. Got another foot of snow today :x :x :x I am thouroghly DONE with winter :x :x .... Anyone want to trade places? The bike comes with me though! :lol:

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
I will say rebuilding a Kx 500 motor the right way is one of the most pain in the ass motor to do, you have some many things you have to reserve engineer. I just hope for your pocket book your guy does a great job. Make sure he looks at all the issue these motors have.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »
Your getting me uncomfortable Kaw, I hope for my sake too this guy knows what he is doing, but It will prob. go back together mostly stock. i'm sure this guy isint about to do much reverse enginnering for me, he acts like he doesnt even grasp the concept of the kips mod. I have mentioned it twice with no interest shown on his part, soo... as far as anything else goes we will see how he does. uh-oh spagettio for me if he screws it up! :|

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
 No worries Mate,
 Kaw Rider has been in business and racing for quite some time, I'm sure his shop would love to have your business in the future.   :wink:  :-D
   Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
So, things have been going a little slow latley. Still trying to wrap my head around where to go at this point. Just wanted to post some pics. Here are some things I have picked up.

Fork Bleeders

BRP Chain Guide (Sweet 8-) )

BRP Lower Triple (Holy Grail Of Triples! :lol:)

And THIS wicked cool... Carb Parts Wherehouse Keihen 39.5 PWK pre-jetted by them for kx500 + xtra jet kit:

Sweeter than sweet! 8-)

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
Here I go setting up the layout for welding the stabilizer tower...

More on the way, this will speed up soon, I hope :wink:

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
great move on getting a brand new carb. You will thank yourself down the road. Hopefully your ingition system is good too, another part that has issues too.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »
Working on the ignition thing, but it's a good$$tag to choke on! :|
Could anyone post a pic of how chamfered the window in the piston should be?
I didn't do anything to it before I sent it off to the builder, think that could end up being a problem? :?

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
great move on getting a brand new carb. You will thank yourself down the road. Hopefully your ingition system is good too, another part that has issues too.

STILL... MY orig. Carb. is still @ Dick's. Have not heard a peep out of them! let's see... its' been since um, well UPS says they recived it on the 16th of March. And get THIS I called them on the 17th and said "I think you will be getting my carb. in today and I would like to go over the work order" The guy abruptly cut me off and said- "How about I call you when I recive it O.K. we'll go over it then." I said "O.K." and that was it! They did not even know they had recived it the day before! And Nothing since! I usually send them an email every few days but I just gave up! I have been meaning to call them, but I am BUSY! my comp. is much easier for me for getting in touch! So it's been about 2 weeks and no talkie talkie. They have not even tried to call me!
Called em today(03/02/11), they said dick is gone for the week so he will call me on monday... we shall see.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:23:24 PM by delphipro5 »