Author Topic: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!  (Read 283947 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
black or really dark brown is too rich....white or barely light tan is too lean.
a light brown/tan is where you wanna be.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2015, 03:56:14 AM »
what needle and what clip position are you in?
your spark plug is an open book...it will tell you if it's too rich or too lean.
how can i tell if it is to lean or rich by looking at the spark plug? (im new to two strokes)

http://www.702sportbikes.com/showthread.php?11233-Reading-Spark-Plugs-and-Jetting-%282-Stroke-Only%29
KX 500 Rider

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2015, 04:34:51 AM »
good site Danger...nice pics and descriptions to what I was referring to.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2015, 05:26:33 AM »
what needle and what clip position are you in?
your spark plug is an open book...it will tell you if it's too rich or too lean.
how can i tell if it is to lean or rich by looking at the spark plug? (im new to two strokes)

http://www.702sportbikes.com/showthread.php?11233-Reading-Spark-Plugs-and-Jetting-%282-Stroke-Only%29
that guy made a lot of sense! i don't know what kind of gas mixture is in my tank now becuse i just got the bike, and i don't know what ''stock'' mixing rate is so to speak but im thingin about going for a 32:1, but check the spark plug first then clean it and se if i can't get the jetting rigth :-D
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
i don't know what ''stock'' mixing rate is so to speak but im thingin about going for a 32:1

the majority of us are running 40:1...and there's some running 50:1.

there's nothing wrong with running 32:1 as long as you jet to it, and stick to 32:1....don't ever change ratios unless you jet to those changes....or it could be a very costly mistake.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
i don't know what ''stock'' mixing rate is so to speak but im thingin about going for a 32:1

the majority of us are running 40:1...and there's some running 50:1.

there's nothing wrong with running 32:1 as long as you jet to it, and stick to 32:1....don't ever change ratios unless you jet to those changes....or it could be a very costly mistake.
got any idea with mix ratio i should run with stock pilot and main jet size?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
I'm only assuming that 32:1 was the stock recommended ratio in '93...
you should write down exactly what jetting you currently have, then do a couple wide open throttle plug chops, and see how your current setup is...then make adjustments from there.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
KX 500 Rider

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #458 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »
today i had a experience with the jetting wich just left me stunned, i was going to test the new clutch after all the work i've put in to the bike and found that the engine ratteld maybe even pinged (im not sure how that sounds) but the weird part is that there was excesive amout of smoke, even more that what used to be with richer jetting in warmer weahter!, i currently have 55 pilot and 165 main wheater today was 14-17 celcius a bit humid as it has been raining, i recently installed a fmf gnarly desert pipe with powercore scilencer, so what i can't understand is how come the leaner jetting in colder weahter make it seem like it's running rich and lean at the same time?
KX 500 newbie

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #459 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:30 AM »
What needle are you running and what is the position of the clip?

Something else I'm curious about, did this bike sit for a while before you started riding it?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #460 on: July 28, 2015, 03:23:59 AM »
i have not touched the needle becuse of the way the cable connects to it, but judging from the other things i've seen previous owners do to it i doubt that it's a diffrent needle in any diffrent position, the bolt for the needle does not apear to have any tool marks on it   :|

the bike has been sitting for a while ever since i started changing the linkage/swingarm bearings clutch plates and fork springs and seals and bushing, but it's only been sitting for a few days with gas in the carburetor
KX 500 newbie

Offline Candyman

• I love hot zombie chicks
« Reply #461 on: July 28, 2015, 05:18:30 AM »
Often a sudden change in jetting means a air leak.
Have you done a leakdown test?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #462 on: July 28, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
but the weird part is that there was excesive amout of smoke, even more that what used to be with richer jetting in warmer weahter

sounds like a clutch side crank seal failed.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #463 on: July 28, 2015, 06:05:36 AM »
but the weird part is that there was excesive amout of smoke, even more that what used to be with richer jetting in warmer weahter

sounds like a clutch side crank seal failed.
im going to check the coolant level maybe the oil seal behind the impeller broke, or maybe the humid wheater combined with wrong jetting is enough to make it smoke like it does, acording to the sheet that followed fmf pipe the jetting recomended for 87-88 kx500 was richer then  the others? maybe this has something to say about my jetting mystery?
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #464 on: July 28, 2015, 06:07:35 AM »
Often a sudden change in jetting means a air leak.
Have you done a leakdown test?
im gonna go ahead here and ask a really stupid question but how are leakdown test done?
KX 500 newbie