Author Topic: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!  (Read 283626 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2004, 03:06:27 PM »
Hi Kawdude, the 45 pilot did help the idle, but it still had NO responce, as in, it would just bog and lug down low. So, I did try the choke, which just made it puff more and turned the small idle off. It would puff like 5 times then die, with the idle on it just dies. :-)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »
Just for an update, I did call the dealer on Sat. just to find out what was going on, the mechanic said he felt comfortable with the changes he made and thought it was finished and said to come and get it. So, I was like, cool! So, I decided I would take off work early to get it, but then I thought I would call back and ask what he did and if he tested it.

So, I called and the idiot said that he did not test it nor started it to see if it was fixed or whatever. So, I ask him what he did, he said the Main was too fat, went down to a 160 main (WTF), left the needle as I had it, cleaned and reoiled the airfilter (was too oiled he said), and turned the reeds over cause there was some play in it. So, I told him to test it. Anyway the bill is $180. And will change as he has to RIDE it now..

:shock: I'm not too happy.. Why? Cause, I changed the reeds and they were fine, the previous stockers had NO gap in them and it did the same, so I'm knowing that it did not fix it. Oh yeah, they charge me 2 1/2 hours. This is screwed up. I will be charged MORE cause they have to test it and then I know they will have more tweaking. I told the service guy EVERYTHING I did and what worked and what did not.  :x

kawdude

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2004, 04:47:54 AM »
...or maybe bend over!!!  How about you testing it there?  You know what needed to be corrected.  Either way I wouldn't let the bike leave until it's correct.  

I would also mention that the 2.5hr charge is bit steep.  Unless he included his lunch or taking a crap in the billing time.  I wouldn't pay until this thing is 100%.  Testing the outcome of the change should be included and not be an additional fee...jfc!  

I would ask him what the stock jetting should be and ask if he knows that teamgreen runs a 170m.  I think the 160 is way too lean.  What about the floats?  WTF...The main jet doesn't help the idle.

Bet it still isn't right :evil:

Quote from: gowen

So, I called and the idiot said that he did not test it nor started it to see if it was fixed or whatever. So, I ask him what he did, he said the Main was too fat, went down to a 160 main (WTF), left the needle as I had it, cleaned and reoiled the airfilter (was too oiled he said), and turned the reeds over cause there was some play in it. So, I told him to test it. Anyway the bill is $180. And will change as he has to RIDE it now..

:shock: I'm not too happy.. Why? Cause, I changed the reeds and they were fine, the previous stockers had NO gap in them and it did the same, so I'm knowing that it did not fix it. Oh yeah, they charge me 2 1/2 hours. This is screwed up. I will be charged MORE cause they have to test it and then I know they will have more tweaking. I told the service guy EVERYTHING I did and what worked and what did not.  :x

mikesmith

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2004, 07:17:50 AM »
I was going to buy a pilot jet for a quad that was running rich at idle/ low speed and had the parts guy was wanting to know why I wanted a pilot jet and not change the main or move the clip on the needle?Just goes to show because they work at a shop doesnt mean they know everything.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2004, 04:41:25 AM »
Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said they found the problem.  :roll: They said the stator is putting out about 33/100 what it should be putting out. So, there for a weak spark. So, they are putting in a new stator and I could not be more happy. It will take like 3 days to get the stator and another day so, I should have it by early next week! Does this sound right? Would the stator being weak kill the jetting?

I already can tell this ***** is going to be pricy.  :?

kawdude

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2004, 04:59:21 AM »
300+ for stator depending on the dealer.  Yes, weak spark would cause the engine not to run correctly and throw off the ability to jet it.  I would think this issue resolves the mid and and above lack of power but will it help the idle??? I don't know.  What does 33/100 mean?  Is this 33% of what it should?

Hope this fixes the issues but test it before you take it.  Did the dealer test the jet job and realized there were additional problems?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2004, 05:30:56 AM »
33% is what I ment. :-) I'm hoping this will fix it.

Folke

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2004, 07:03:11 AM »
For me it looks to be a Ignition coil trouble not stator,you have to check what he have done, there will be much moore expensiv to change stator insted of coil.

Sharc

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2004, 08:48:44 AM »
Sorry to hear your stator went out....My 2002 died 3 months after I bought it. 30 days at the dealership and 4-5 phone calls got the part free and cost me $150 labor...
My bike ran lean prior to dying completely....I have main jets from 165 to 180....Got to know the carb and air boot real well....
Anything can happen when the electronics are dying....I think mine varied with temperature too. Drove me nuts for weeks. Hope you get yours buttoned up and back on the trail soon.
Sharc

kawdude

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2004, 10:52:48 AM »
Hope that fixes the issue.

So are they checking resistance of the coil or output.  Does the service manual talk about the output???  Unfortunately, I guess I need to look at mine since it exhibits similar issues.

Gowen, just so it's clear.  Is the problem you're having at the low end with idle and response or top end.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2004, 01:28:38 PM »
Quote from: kawdude
Hope that fixes the issue.

Gowen, just so it's clear.  Is the problem you're having at the low end with idle and response or top end.

Low end and response. Top end was fine, except after awhile it got to the point of complete falling flat on its face in the top end. The last few days of testing. And I don't know why. I'm assuming the stator was just going bad.

Rick

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2004, 04:16:28 AM »
Yup, I agree that a bad stator could be the problem.  The stator is nothing more than magnet wire wound around an iron core.  The wire is small, and wraps more than 1000 times, so if you get a bare spot inside the winding, the result could well be low output.  Are they installing a new stock stator plate or just an after market stator coil?  Kawasaki does not sell the stator coil or CDI trigger separately, so you have to purchase the entire plate and components as one unit.  Unfortunately, kawasaki is real proud of their unit, and I think it retails at around $300.

Also, I have used the aftermarket stator coils, and was not impressed.  I eventually opted for an entire new plate (I think Kawdude now has my old plate), which fixed an intermitent failure.  In my case, I beleive the CDI trigger was bad.  

Fainally, make sure you get your hands on the old stator coil, as you can use it to make a lighting coil for less than $20.  The iron core is hard to find, so a stock stator makes a great start.

Hope this fixes the problem.

Rick

kawdude

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2004, 05:05:38 AM »

(I think Kawdude now has my old plate),

Yep! and I'm very proud of it too!  It was so shiny and bright!!! :D

In general wouldn't the problem with the stator be more apt to show up at the higher rpms?  It seems to me that the bike ran fine in the mid and upper range until the jetting was changed.  Those changes could have effected the entire range but I would expect that this issue would shown up at the higher rpms first...

hmmm, higher rpm's = more juice thru the coil = better spark...ok I'm good.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2004, 05:54:39 AM »
Mine jetting for iceracer:

Main 230 (homedrilled)
pilot 60
outbored carb... 40mm and so on  8)
different needle than stock.
But don?t install that, you don?t have the grunch in your bikes  :lol:  :lol:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2004, 07:29:09 AM »
Quote from: doordie
Mine jetting for iceracer:

Main 230 (homedrilled)
pilot 60
outbored carb... 40mm and so on  8)
different needle than stock.
But don?t install that, you don?t have the grunch in your bikes  :lol:  :lol:

//doordie

:shock: