Author Topic: spokes  (Read 6716 times)

Offline greenstreak

spokes
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:27:09 AM »
I am thinking of lacing an 18 rear rim to the front hub of my 2003 KX500 for SuperMoto.  I have a spare rear rim and want to know if anyone has done this before.  I would need to know where they got the spokes from. I would try and fit the biggest and stickiest 18 inch tires on these wheels.   I am trying to get into Supermoto as cheap as possible, since I am not really sure how I will like it.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Larry Wiechman

Re: spokes
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »

Don't waste your time and money on old tech 18 inch rims and tires.
A modern 17 inch sport tire is better than the race tires of decades gone by. A soft compound slick or rain tire will make you rethink what is possible.
 A 3.50-17 rim may cost a few bucks more now, but you can't put a price tag on a good time. In the long run it will save you money in medical bills!

Larry

Offline greenstreak

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
I am thinking you are right with this one.  I don't want to give up that much to the newer bikes anyway.  I will keep my eyes open for some rims.  I know how to lace them so that will save me some cash.  Plus I do have the offer to ride my friend's KTM 525 on the track to see if that kind of racing is for me.  Thanks for the push in the right direction. 

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:02 AM »
Any rim of a Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki would work If you ask me.
If Im right Honda has 30 spoke instead of 32 at the rear. (something like that)
Maybe somebody else disagrees me, please let us know.

Dutch

Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
Any rim of a Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki would work If you ask me.
If Im right Honda has 30 spoke instead of 32 at the rear. (something like that)
Maybe somebody else disagrees me, please let us know.

Dutch

Honda runs 32 spokes in just the rear, all the others are typically 36. The Excel pro series modulars are odd in that they are 32 front and rear if I remember.

I suggest going to SuperMotoJunkie and watching the for sale boards if you are in the states. Europe has equivalent boards if you look.

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:11:53 AM »
Also I recommend a 16.5in front (depending on local race rules) instead of the 17x3.5. On the rear try to run a 17x5 if it will fit.

The 16.5 fights chatter better than the 17, and the 5 wide rear with a 160-170 tire will give you far better traction for a 500 than any 4.25 150 combo. Most of the 250f riders are not even wasting their time on the smaller 4.25 rim anymore.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
I've rode the 17's and I can tell you that with the right tires they will freak you out.
You lean to what you think is as far as you can go, then you discover that you can go further, and further.
You crank it harder and harder out of the turns and it seems that there is no end (there is).
If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in my shop project I would never have sold it  :cry:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »
Oh yeah, these guys can get you just about any size spokes that you need
http://www.procycle.us/gofiche/gofiche_home.htm
They do all my custom stuff.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
Bumping an old thread. What size tires are you guys using on the 3.5X17? Gathering bits to motard the KX500 and plate it. Thanks!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Just got my front hub today. "Good condition" the guy said. "Spoke holes good", the guys said. "Rotor good", the guy said. I open the box and the rotor is dished BADLY. Spoke holes are OBLONG, and so thin between a couple they were chipped out between them! Not to mention worn down into the wheel where the spoke head sits. What the?!?!?!? Geez! He is taking it back. I doubt he even looked at it.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
Got hubs out of the rims this weekend. Kind of snuck them in between working on the wife?s bike, which she is getting anxious for. They both look good! Could take the front apart, so I saved a set of 21? spokes, but had to cut the rear apart. Got to call the place putting on the 17?s as the rear bearings are bad. May need to change them before sending it in. Getting excited!