Author Topic: 500AF project  (Read 31493 times)

Offline kxpegger

Re: 500AF project
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
I like the cross spar you added on the frame rails below where the pipe will go! Nice touch.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
Nice setup.   Also like that cross spar on the frame.    Hoping to have mine done in a month or so.  Finally ordered the rest of the parts I need.  And sent the motor out to be rebuilt by a member on here.

Offline trim

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 05:48:41 AM »
Thanks thought some extra support could not hurt.Might add one on the bottom just under the bottom engine mount might be a little overkill. Just waiting for the rest of my parts to show up exel wheels,gaskets,Kx 500 left side rad,plus a few nicnacs should be done soon!!!!!

Offline Starky307

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »
Thanks thought some extra support could not hurt.Might add one on the bottom just under the bottom engine mount might be a little overkill. Just waiting for the rest of my parts to show up exel wheels,gaskets,Kx 500 left side rad,plus a few nicnacs should be done soon!!!!!

Any updates on your progress?
I'm interested on how you managed the air box to carb boot installation. Did you use a CR or KX 250 boot?

Offline trim

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
I ended up using a 02 KX 250 with an 1/8" adapter ring  boot worked good the shock touches on the top 1" or so of the boot. Went with a Boyseen rad valve 1/4" homemade reed spacer.Started it up tonight to check the rads could not wait to hear it . I ran my hoses the same as the 500 changed all the outlets to fit 3/4" hose.Ended up using a 450 rad on the right side and a 500 on the left. Had to machine a couple .250 spacers on the right rad and make a relocation bracket for the left.I ended up mounting my CDI box on the left behind the rad wing bracket and the coil behind the right one.Polished the swingarm to a mirror finish the frame I wetsanded with scotchbrite I fiqured it's not a show bike want to ride the dam thing when it's done!!!!. Almost finished got to go on holidays in a few days to keep the rest of the family happy( Happy wife HAPPY life ) it's been a fun project so far. The best thing of all was having my eight year old son helping me he's more excited putting it together than I am :-D. I will try post some pictures before I leave.  Cheers Glynn
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:47:06 PM by trim »

Offline Starky307

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
Cheers for the info Glynn, I've just ordered the air boot like you said. I'm keen to see the pics when you get time.

Cheers
Brad

Offline trim

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 07:05:56 AM »
Well got back from holidays finished the bike off( thought I was done ) everything went good ran it up putted around bit.Went out to the pits for a ride everything seemed good untill it seized lightly.I putted home took it apart seized lightly on the exhuast side normally thats caused by lack of lubrication or lean jetting/low octane fuel. The fuel I used was sitting in my garage while I was away 3 weeks.After I noticed the cap on my racecan was cracked,also put a inline fuel filter on when I blew through it was restricting the fuel flow so I guess I'm my own worst enemy??? Other than all that wonderfull stuff the bike seemed to handle good considering I have no idea what's in it for suspension just rebuilt the forks new glide bushings and seals.Got the cylinder back from the machine shop yesterday putting it back together tonight hopefully no more problems.I will take some pics tonight as I reassemble it.

Offline trim

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »
Got it all back together after machining it ended up 511cc runs nice forgot how scary and fun a 500 can be. I think my bro described my old 500 best the perpetual  motion machine.The AF 511 is so much nicer to ride compared to the old steely 5hund I will try post some pictures(from work) my home computer gives me grief every time I post pics.Also made a deal on a 2010 Kawi 250F roller for a KX 295 AF anyone have a Kx250 motor around for sale???

Motorrad

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
Got it all back together after machining it ended up 511cc runs nice forgot how scary and fun a 500 can be. I think my bro described my old 500 best the perpetual  motion machine.The AF 511 is so much nicer to ride compared to the old steely 5hund I will try post some pictures(from work) my home computer gives me grief every time I post pics.Also made a deal on a 2010 Kawi 250F roller for a KX 295 AF anyone have a Kx250 motor around for sale???

If you want.. Ill post them for ya. just email the pics to me.... my email is in my profile..   Id love to see the bike!

Offline trim

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 04:21:02 AM »

If you want.. Ill post them for ya. just email the pics to me.... my email is in my profile..   Id love to see the bike!
Sent you a PM

Motorrad

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 04:50:14 AM »
Just got your emails...    power was out all yesterday...  :roll:

pics up asap.

Offline trim

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 04:58:37 AM »
That's funny I work at a Generating station all our units were runnning :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
Pics Pics Pics...

I must say... it looks AWESOME!...

GREAT WORK.

Offline trim

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2011, 02:14:28 AM »
Thanks a bunch Motorrad you can see I did things a bit different than the norm the cdi and coil mounts are unique to my bike.I ended up using a 500 rad on the left and a 450 on the right ran the hoses the same as a 500 3/4" hoses are easy to find where I live( In the bush ) so I went that route. I have to thank everyone on this site for the inspiration and a big thanks to TRANSCANADA MOTORSPORTS In Brandon Manitoba for all the parts and pieces my brother Marty for running around Winnipeg for bits and pieces.Jfab for the rails and Motorrad for posting my pics ( I'm a welder not a computer guy ) also my buddy Chuck for getting some stuff from e bay and my boss for letting me work on the bike at work.I still have too get some decals made up from Image Plus I will post some pictures( With the help of Motorrad I hope ) once again thanks to everyone on to the next project
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:23:24 AM by trim »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2011, 02:51:13 AM »

Another Project Well Done!  Looks great Trim, Hope She will..
..Love You Long Time!! :lol:
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"