Author Topic: 500AF project  (Read 31514 times)

Offline kxpegger

Re: 500AF project
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
China=Crap!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline trim

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 03:49:40 AM »
Yes China does = Crap I run a Bike/ATV/Snowmobile repair shop @ home, if someone shows up with a China Bike/Quad/Genorator I send them packing. That S_ _ _  is a waste of time. Spending the extra cash = no problems.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:51:52 AM by trim »

Offline azracer19

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »
thanks for the china crap, they advertise american made !!!!!!!!!!! ill stay away from that. So I have the forks now, gas tank, seat. Its moving along ( the parts list )

Offline alward25

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »
Not to be unpatriotic, but the U.S. makes some crap too, it just is not made with lead.
"Let there be light"

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »
Not to be unpatriotic, but the U.S. makes some crap too, it just is not made with lead.

My Grandfather trying to stay alive and survive on a fixed income by eating dogfood died because he got a hold of some of the imported dog food from China. The same stuff that a lot of people's pets were dying from a couple of years ago! Can you honestly say anyone here has died from eating USA made dog food?

It's a joke!
North Las Vegas

Offline alward25

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »

My Grandfather trying to stay alive and survive on a fixed income by eating dogfood died because he got a hold of some of the imported dog food from China. The same stuff that a lot of people's pets were dying from a couple of years ago! Can you honestly say anyone here has died from eating USA made dog food?

Everyone knows the Chinese put lead in their dogfood, sorry about your Grandfathers misfortune.  I personally stay away from California spinach, it is laced with poop.  They say they fixed the problem, it is also known to the state of California to cause cancer. :-D

It's a joke!
"Let there be light"

Offline azracer19

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
I am just trying to build this bike with the best parts I can,,,,we ll I can affford I am in no rush so everyones input is welcome

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 03:21:59 PM »
I am just trying to build this bike with the best parts I can,,,,we ll I can affford I am in no rush so everyones input is welcome

AZracer,

I own a Service Honda 500AF. I can tell you what they did right and what they did wrong especially where clearance issues are concerned. They stuffed the motor in a 2008 frame. You got any questions let me know. I can also provide pictures for visual aid. Good luck with your project and I did not mean to highjack your thread.

That being said, China still=crap!
North Las Vegas

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
I used an 06 frame.    Probably going to build a second one using an 06 frame.   Buddy of mine is eyeing a used 06 bike that has decent suspension and parts on it.     We can sell the motor for a good $800 or so and get half of his outlay for the 06 back.   

Offline trim

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 03:05:11 AM »

AZracer,

I own a Service Honda 500AF. I can tell you what they did right and what they did wrong especially where clearance issues are concerned. They stuffed the motor in a 2008 frame. You got any questions let me know. I can also provide pictures for visual aid. Good luck with your project and I did not mean to highjack your thread.

That being said, China still=crap!
What sort of clearance issues did the have?? I am bending my lower frame cradle tubes to add a little extra clearance think that might help??

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 05:45:35 AM »
Radiator hose rubbing up against the sharp edge coil mount.
Radiator hose rubbing against left radiator tubes.
Left radiator lower tank started to rub against top of frame rail.
Coil lead is pulled very tight and just makes it to the spark plug.
Air box boot flange bolt rubbing on the top of the rear shock gouging about 1/8" of material. Glad I caught that one when I did because it was just about through the shock bladder housing.
Air box boot also rubbing on the top of rear shock and minor rubbing against left frame spar.
Fuel line was to short and kept popping off the carb.
Exhaust silencer rubbing against rear fender.
Kick starter rubs and gouges swingarm/frame engine bolt housing.

Except for the bolded one I considered most of these minor issues and I've found solutions for all of them. Overall SH did a decent job!
North Las Vegas

Offline azracer19

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
tHANKS FOR THE INFO. THE PROBLEMS SEEM MINOR BUT NOT FOR A 13,000 BIKE. OH WELL IM SURE TO BUILD BIKES LIKE HE DOES ITS NOT LIKE A JAP FACTORY WITH ALL THE R AND D. HIS BIKES LOOK AWESOME. ANY AND ALL PICS AND SOLUTIONS YOU HAVE WOULD BE GREAT AND APPRECIATED. GOING WITH THE WARP 9 WHEELS, IF THERE CHEAPLY BUILT AND BEND OR WHATEVER, THERE IS A WARRANTY ON THEM. SO FAR NO MODS HAVE BEEN DONE BUT LOOKING AT THIS OHLINS SHOCK IS KILLING ME

Offline azracer19

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:29 AM »
OK this is a long process but its taking place.....The parts I have acquired are NEW ohlins shock and spring...07 450f frame...pro circuit suspension "dog bones " ....rear suspension Linkage.. Tush foot pegs 08 pro circuit built ( not kitted ) forks. Stock triple clamps. Aluminum radiators.... All new bearings for the rear linkage.... steering stering stem bearings...New step seat ( maybe I wont fly off the back or have to hang on so tight when gassing it ) CR250 complete airbox and boot.....KX450f airbox and boot....used but looks new FMF CR 500 pipe...... have KX 500 FMF pipe .... V 3 GPR steering dampener.... ( not new got it from a local offroader here in AZ )Protaper bars....sunline flex levers and perches.... KX 500 engine from MY 2001. Parts are new were I could get them, other parts will be cleaned,anodized and all new bearings to chassis everywhere.....   new chain guide,,,,, and new rummber thingie on swingarm....polished swingarm..... rubber chain rollers...thinking about adding zerk fittings. EXCLUDING THE PRICE OF THE 500...so far I bought all parts for 1550.00 including shipping. I need to talk to Jerry to get frame rails, Carb spacer. Talk to AJ about hoses for colling system. Does anyone know if Jfabs compression release will work on an AF ( enough room ).

Offline trim

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »
Just got started on my 500 project bent up a set of engine cradle tubes have the engine out of the doner. Making up a jig for the engine mounts in the K5 frame to transfer over to the 450f frame.... So far so good    :-D :-D

Offline azracer19

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 07:35:27 AM »
been a while since I have been on, broke the plate in my elboe and then a bone infection set in, anyway I have aqquired almost all the parts for my conversion, ordering frame rails from jerry, found a good alluminum guy. Poder coating frame orange bike will have all black plastic with orange graphics by PG grahics