Author Topic: Suspension settings  (Read 2998 times)

Offline cbmoor

Suspension settings
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
Does anyone know what the standard compression and rebound settings are for the front forks and rear shock for a 2001 kx5. I have just serviced the front forks and rear shock and installed the correct springs for my size.
I have used the search funtion but had no luck there I just want to make sure I start from the start and adjust from there as when I got the bike at first all the adjusters for rebound and compression were all the way in!!!. I have been playing about with it but I would live to know where they were set to from the factory.

Offline greencannon

Re: Suspension settings
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
Seeing how you re-sprung as i did once. just put all the clickers at the halfway point and start from there.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
Yes thats what I done but sometimes you end up going round in circles and I was hoping some one would know what the original setting were as I do not have a manual for it and would like to start from when the bike came from the factory

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »
Does anyone know what the standard compression and rebound settings are for the front forks and rear shock for a 2001 kx5. I have just serviced the front forks and rear shock and installed the correct springs for my size.
I have used the search funtion but had no luck there I just want to make sure I start from the start and adjust from there as when I got the bike at first all the adjusters for rebound and compression were all the way in!!!. I have been playing about with it but I would live to know where they were set to from the factory.

2001 K5, Clymer manual.

Fork 10 clicks on rebound, 10 clicks on compression.
The manual says to turn the clickers "IN"  counter clockwise and then make the adjustment.

Shock Rebound 11, compression 10. The manual says to turn IN the clickers clockwise, then turn out Counter Cockwise until you get the standard 11 for rebound, 10 for comp.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:46:11 AM »

The #1 thing a rider needs to understand is that fork and shock dempening clickers do NOT adjust "harshness" or "softness" within your suspension. The job of the clickers is to fine tune the speed at which your forks/shock reacts to absorbing bumps.  You commented you have re-sprung your suspension so that means that most likely the factory setting will no longer work. Also the factory setting are based upon a 170 lb intermediate level rider.  Like others commented start with your clickers approx 8-10 clicks out across the board. Then systematically start with the shock, then the forks. I recommend beginners make adjustments in incraments of 2 clicks as some riders might not feel a difference with a single click adjustment to make sure you are moving in a positive direction. A sweet suspension is simply the perfect compramise of bump absorption and chassis control. Here's some great basic setup info:

http://www.factoryconnection.com/index2.htm

BTW  FC revalved and resprung my '07 YZ450F and what an absolutely AMAZING difference in my bike's suspension after FC ! 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:51:49 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Cheers Guys