Author Topic: Clutch Malfunction  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Clutch Malfunction
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:59:08 AM »
  Last few Climbs of the season, I had an issue with my clutch on the ol' KDX. Figured it out, but thought I'd share my experience and get some opinions. The clutch is always an easy pull on the kdx, but after a seriously rough ride, it decided not to work. The lever was bound up and not disengaging. After rolling down the return trail in neutral, it started working just fine. I thought it might have been a fluke until it did it again. I chased the cable around, and it was kinda pinched between the pipe and head. I re-routed it, so it was clear of any pinching being careful that it did not bind while turning the bars. Seemed to do the trick. Then right before I went to race it again, it jammed up again. Then after a few squeezes, it worked again.
  I was told it was probably a broken disk or I figured the cable was toast. I was kinda worried that it was gonna require that I order parts, after taking it apart to find out what was broke, but since I had 3 weekends in a row of racing to finish off the season, I rode it without pulling it apart. I managed to live through it, but its only a 200. I'm sure I'd be laid up somewhere, if I tried that with the 500.  :lol:
  Turned out to be the big nut of the clutch basket had backed off. Since the clutch release arm is on the same side of the motor as the clutch basket, the nut would get turned back on while I was pumping the lever of the malfunctioning clutch. After taking it apart and inspecting it, I found that it did not have the special washer that has the inside cut-out to fit the end of the crank. Someone had used 2 normal washers to assemble it. The spacing was right, but no asterik-shaped cut washer in there. Is that washer critical to keeping the nut tight?

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Clutch Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:03:12 AM »
YES

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 06:40:42 AM »
Thanks

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 01:20:12 AM »
After looking at the micro-fish again, its looking like they did not have the special washer deal until '87-'88. They show two typical washers on the '86 basket and then show a little window above it with the changed part numbers for the 86-87 models. When on the 86 search the special washer is not in the parts list below. I had to switch the search to the 87 to be able to order that deal.
  My question now would be, if i order that and install it to ensure the nut stays tight, what are the chances the output shaft is made the way it needs to be?

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:55:57 AM »
After looking at the micro-fish again, its looking like they did not have the special washer deal until '87-'88. They show two typical washers on the '86 basket and then show a little window above it with the changed part numbers for the 86-87 models. When on the 86 search the special washer is not in the parts list below. I had to switch the search to the 87 to be able to order that deal.
  My question now would be, if i order that and install it to ensure the nut stays tight, what are the chances the output shaft is made the way it needs to be?
Check the part numbers for the shaft it goes on and you may need the nut also because it may be cut out on the mateing side to clear the splined portion of the shaft.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:34 AM »
Good point. Looks like the later model washer also shows a different part number for the nut. Well, that'll have to be one of those things that need double-checked. Thanks for the tip. Should those older style hub nuts get peened like my 250 to help set it, or would loctite help?