Author Topic: Rev Loc Slip  (Read 3767 times)

Offline flyingfitz

Rev Loc Slip
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
I have gotten use to the Rev Loc on my K5 but I have questions and concerns for anyone with experience.  Up until today the clutch has really performed well. My Rev Loc was installed when my motor was rebuilt. The rebuild included new steel and fibers.

1.  Since new, I have changed the oil if not every ride than every other ride.  I have what appears to be more than normal fiberous material on the drain plug every oil change.  A little metallic is present.  I originally contributed this to the new components. 

Question 1.  Is this normal with an auto clutch?

2.  Today I was riding in some pretty gnarly hills.  The clutch was performing well for most of the day.  After one particularly big hill I suspect that I overheated the clutch a little.  It felt like it was not engaging completely.  It never really went into full slip with power on, but it didnt hook up normally either.  The thought that I had ran out of clutch fiber ran through my mind.  We went back to camp and after letting things cool off I tried to abuse it pretty hard.  It seemed much better, but I am not sure it is the way it once was. When I changed the oil the same thing,  fiber and a little more metallic than normal.   

Question 2.  Has anyone here overheated the clutch and how did it act?   

Question 3.  Does anyone have any more wisdom they can share with this setup?  Adjustment for how the clutch engages etc?

Since I have gotten use to the clutch I really like it but if it is wore out already this set up is a no go.  It is a pain to disassemble to check wear with this bike.  If the clutch lets go in the woods you are pretty much stranded.  It would be very hard to tell when things are wore thin like with a normal clutch. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Fitz
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:35:31 AM by flyingfitz »

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Rev Loc Slip
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
have the guy that sold and installed it for you look at it.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
If you have been watching this forum over the last week or so you might understand why that might be complicated.

Since this is my first experience with an auto clutch, I called the Rev Loc tech guy shortly after I got the clutch.  I explained how it was engaging to verify it was set up correctly.  He said it should work fine.  So I went with it. 

Just looking for advice from users who have been through the learning curve.

Fitz

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »
I'm expecting parts to arrive at the Kawi shop soon.  When I go to pick them up I'll talk to the service manger, his son has Revlock as one of his sponsors.  Or better yet I'll get his number and you can call him.
KX 500 Rider

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:02 AM »
Perfect Danger.  Thank You.

Fitz

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:17:49 AM »
I called House of K for you to get Rons number but he is in Colorado riding.
Won't be back until next week.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:03:41 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:23 AM »
Thanks

Fitz

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:03:16 AM »
The clutch is toast...  Anyone with revloc experience please pm me with your number.  The stock clutch is going back in until I can get this sorted out. 

Thanks.

Fitz

Offline alward25

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about all the trouble.
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
The rev loc is out.  The old clutch is back in.  I forgot how hard it hooks up!   :-D

Fitz

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
I wonder if oil type is a factor?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 03:18:12 PM »
The instructions say run what the manufacturer says to run.  If that doesnt work they reccommend 5w50.  I used 10w30 and 10w40 suitable for wet clutch and Rotella 10w30.

The fiber was mostly gone.  The plates were in great shape.  The middle section of the pressure plate had contacted the inner hub and damaged both.  I am wondering if this is the expected outcome if the fibers are wore too thin, or was something else at work.  I did not install the clutch, but the install is straightforward.  I think it would be hard to get it wrong.  I called rev loc shortly after getting the set up and described how the clutch was engaging and the type of riding I was doing.  They said it all sounded good to go.  It is a shame because it really worked well for woods riding.  The workmanship of the unit is like jewelery!  It doesnt matter now.  The rev loc is toast and the stock setup is back in the bike for my plans to ride this weekend!

Fitz

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »
was that oil recommended in wet clutch

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 02:32:39 AM »
I had the Rev Loc on my K5 for two rides.  All it did was slip after about an hour or so of riding.  I took it out and I have been running the stock clutch again.  Sucks, it was nice when it worked....
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 03:08:46 AM »
Yep. it was wet clutch oil. 

Fitz