Author Topic: Piston-cylinder clearance  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Pvo

• OlesenMoto
Piston-cylinder clearance
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:15 AM »
I just had my cylinder re niked, new rings, and piston and am ready to put the motor back together.  I have an 86 500 and in the factory service manual the standard clearance between the piston and cylinder is .002-.003.  I measured my clearance to be .005 by slipping a feeler gauge between the piston and cylinder.  I've built a few motors and this seems a bit loose to me.  The shop I bought the parts from said it's normal and to run it but I'd like some opinions. Thanks.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Piston-cylinder clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:35:09 AM »
what piston do you have.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
what piston do you have.

Exactly..
Stock cast pistons run a tighter clearance than Forged....   But they should have asked you this before they plated it.....

Offline Pvo

• OlesenMoto
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
I have a Pro-X piston.  I don't have the box with me but the dennis kirk description describes it as being a cast piston.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »
that is loose for a cast piston

Offline madmick

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:07:25 AM »
correct me if i am wrong but can you not get an a/b/c and d size pistons,and pvo just get a matching size for what his size bore has measured after plating.?.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
 The pistons should be avail in the alphabetic enumarations from the OEM, but I'm just curious about the way to measure the piston to wall clearance... I was under the impression you had to use bore (snap) gauges and a mike.
  the feeler gauges are used to measure the ring end gap after pushing the ring down in the cyl squarely.
         When I send my stuff out the the machine shop I send them the piston and rings also,
                Tuck \o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
Divide that by 2...because you're only measuring 1 side. Think about it. You're running clearance is .0025...within spec according to your manual.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
Divide that by 2...because you're only measuring 1 side. Think about it. You're running clearance is .0025...within spec according to your manual.

He needs to measure the right way.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
 I apologize for not being able to figure out how to line the pages up in order..
  You can find the following pages in this batch of pics. (click on the thumbnail for a larger pic)

and here:
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Friar-Tuck/service%20repair%20maitenance/?start=20

And here:
 Tuck\o/

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:29:44 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Rd

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »
Speedway 73 is correct.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »
im talking about he needs to use the right tools to measure the piston and cylinder. and he didnt say where on the piston he measured it at.

Offline Pvo

• OlesenMoto
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
im talking about he needs to use the right tools to measure the piston and cylinder. and he didnt say where on the piston he measured it at.

I agree with this and will when I get home.  I was in a hurry to get it somewhat assembled before I left for Bonneville.

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »

wouldnt you multiply by 2 instead?  if it was .005 on one side, would not both sides added together equal .010?

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »
think of the piston being centered in the bore not against one side.that being the case then u would divide his measurement by half(2).but where the piston is measured makes a world of difference since pistons are tapered..imo