Author Topic: vibration  (Read 4527 times)

Offline rocco

vibration
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
Hi all, My K5 had just a tad more vibration than I am used to.  What have you all done to soften things up a bit.  I have renthal bars with stock mounts on my K5 as I type...

Offline 3Razors

Re: vibration
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
Get some oversize alum bars without a crossbar (pro-taper style) and a bar-snake.  No more vibes for me with this setup.

http://barsnake.com/

Offline dave916

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:13:49 AM »
it may also be worth checking your main bearing,
Check the flywheel for any play ,up-down and in-out

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
WOW, Barsnake, what a good idea.  I must be living under a rock.  Never had a clue this existed.

Now, the next question:  Why didn't one of us think of that! 
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline rocco

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:17:51 AM »
wow, Barsnake,  never even heard of it...looks great though..thanks for the idea

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
Ya, def check if you have up/down play on the crankshaft, Barsnake won't help that too much.  Barsnake been around few decades and works great, one tip on the install is to use lots of WD40 instead of dishsoap to get it through.  Makes it TONS easier.  Also the handlebars without a crossbar makes a huge improvement.

Offline rocco

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »
thanks for the motor tips too all....

Offline greencannon

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
Like Dave said, checkyour crank bearings. All the little add-on fixes wont do anything if your crankshaft has any play. Not to mention the extra vibes will cause excesive wear in other places.
 Last timeI replaced the crank bearings, I had my machine shop "true" up the crank webs then weld. machinist told me he was able to get it about .003in better than it was from factory. Doesn't sound like alot but it made a huge difference in the engine vibes.  This may be more extensive than what your looking to do. But if your an engine nut like me, it's a great mod to do when the motor is already torn apart.

Offline diesel

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:43:22 AM »
Someone I rode with once told me to shoot the bars full of expanding foam insulation...cheaper than a bar snake, but definitely has the potential to be a messy install.  I haven't got around to trying it yet.

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
I have a retired Team Green 2004 KX500 that has a balanced motor, and after a few hours of desert riding, my hands would go numb. I got some vibranators, and this helped tremendously. I can't imagine how bad the vibration must get on an unbalanced motor, especially after some good wear.

Offline rocco

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
i am pretty sure my motor is all good since it just had a rebuild...it very well may just be that I am used to a 125 and a 250..not really riden a 500 for a long period of time.

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:47:20 AM »
I have heard that there is a company that has 10 balled crank bearings instead of 8 balled which have more play has anyone heard of this??

Offline NZ500

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »
I have heard that there is a company that has 10 balled crank bearings instead of 8 balled which have more play has anyone heard of this??

There shouldn't be play in the bearings any way? Personally I'd sooner have a high quality standard bearing and make sure the crank is as true as possible.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
Inject your handlebars full of silicone. Just press the caulking gun tube thru the little hole in the end of your grips.   Keep pumping it in till it comes out the other side (it'll also push back thru the feed-in hole too once it meets with the resistance of the other grip covering the exit hole.  A noticeable change. Don't know if it's as dramatic a change as these anti-vibe devices though.
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »
also have your flywheel balanced