Author Topic: KX60 shifting issue  (Read 13629 times)

Offline Coop

KX60 shifting issue
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »
As some of you know, I completely rebuilt a KX60 for my nephew Nick. On the bench during re-assembly it shifted perfectly. On the first ride last week it would only shift past second if I pushed down slightly on the shifter and then shifted back up. Doing that it shifted through all the gears. I suspected a return spring problem so I pulled the clutch cover, pulled the clutch and completely re-installed the shift shaft, return spring, shifter mechanism, selector mechanism, etc. Now it won't shift past second at all, LOL. Shifting from first to neutral to second, and back down again is smooth as silk. But try to shift up from second and it's like you are in top gear.

It seems weird it would be a shift fork problem since it was basically working before I unassembled and reassembled the above mentioned parts. I am thinking maybe I botched something up. Any ideas? Tomorrow I plan to tear back into it but it's driving me nuts thinking about it and I was hoping for some ideas  :-D .
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:11:28 PM by Coop »
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

1997 CR80RB, 1993 KX60, 1988 KX125

Offline BDI

Re: KX60 shifting issue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Maybe you didn't get the shift forks in there right.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Coop

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
Maybe you didn't get the shift forks in there right.

Yeah I am starting to think I will be re-splitting the cases this week to see what the heck is going on if once I check the shifting mechanisms under the clutch cover one more time. I have too much time in it now to half-ass anything. It just seems weird to me that would be a fork because it was working and the bike only has had one slow short ride around my yard. But I am not ruling anything out.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

Offline jonny500

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
you didnt say if the engine was running or not. in my experience some gear boxs just like to be run a bit before they start shifting smoothly. i think its just everything settling in. i had a kx 250 that i rebiult before weston beach race. when i was running it in it would not go out of second, i started to panic as is was the day before race day. i just rode up and down the beach gently trying to shift in to 3rd and it just went after  while and  the bike was perfect. of course there is a chance you have put it in wrong. but before striping i would just try that, i have poped some pics in from a site i know hope they help
best regards and good luck
john
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:09:59 PM by jonny500 »

Offline jonny500

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
pic 2

Offline jonny500

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »
pic 3

Offline Coop

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »
Thanks for the pics Johnny. I have the manual and have rebuilt many bottom ends and transmissions in the past, but obviously mistakes can happen. I am having trouble tracking this issue down and I was hoping maybe it was something that happened to someone else, lol.

It was running, I only took it on one short ride around the yard. Just to exhaust all options, I may try your ride it more idea.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:38:07 AM »
you could also be quite agressive with the clutch it may just shock the afending component it to place. let us know if you get it sorted

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 04:30:43 AM »
I had the same symptoms on my 500, and unfortunately I had to split the cases to fix it. Without the clutch nut tightened (on a KX500 anyways) the shaft has enough endplay to allow shifting to occur with the shift forks mixed up. When I did the bench test with the bottom end together, it seems A-OK. However, once you put the clutch on, tighten everything up, you only get first and second gear. I hope you didn't make same mistake, because it means going back to square 1. The shift forks were mixed up.

Offline Coop

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
That's what I am afraid of. I kind of breezed through the tranny because it was so similar to my 125 I just did a few months ago.

Offline Coop

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:04 AM »
Ok so I went outside and it's definitely a mechanism issue. It will shift through all the gears, but only if you push it down a 1/2" or so to reset (for lack of a better word) the shifter. Then it up shifts smooth as silk. But you have to do that for each gear. The shift lever is returning on it's on, but doesn't seem like it comes back far enough. Think the return spring could be worn?

I guess I was frustrated yesterday and that's why I didn't realize it was still doing that and I thought it wasn't shifting past second at all.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:18:33 AM »
sound like this can be sorted without spliting the cases, just a thought but is the splined shaft bent slightly

Offline Coop

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:54:01 AM »
Someone else mentioned that also. I think I am pulling that side case back off tomorrow (my back is too bad today) and I am pulling the shaft to check for straightness.

Offline Coop

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:13:17 AM »
I've had the bike apart twice now and cannot find anything assembled incorrectly or bent so I ordered a shifter return spring. For $6.64 I figured it was worth a try. Should be here early next week (local Kawie dealer).

Offline jonny500

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
hi sorry to hear you have had no joy yet. could you post a pic of just below the clutch basket of the end of the sellector drum i think that is where the problem is maybe. i have just had aread throught the thread. and have had another think. Is the bearing on the sellector drum stiff/notchy. are the pins that locate in the drum tracks on the selector forks worn with flat parts on them and the little wheel that mounts just under the clutch basket on the out side on the selector drum, is that working as it should
just some more ideas