Author Topic: 2-Stroke engine oil?  (Read 13315 times)

Offline kawi4life

2-Stroke engine oil?
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
Hey, guys I recently purchased an 01 KX250 and have fallen in love with 2 strokes once again. I am running 32:1 premix ratio. And I am unsure on which engine oil/gear oil to run. I guess any 2T 10w 30/40? Correct me if im wrong.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: 2-Stroke engine oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
 Kawi,
  Here's a readers digest according to me.. so you get what you pay for! :lol:

I think it would actually be difficult to find a "Bad" pre-mix oil anymore.  I would look for something readily available, motorcycle specific & stick with it.

Are there any bike shops nearby?  Check out what they carry,  Or it may be just as easy to order in from one of the shops online.
 Personally I like synthetics, and something made to be used with an engine with a power valve.  (Not that it has to be...)

As far as Ratio,
    It seems to be half the guys run what the oil manufacturer recommends,  10% run what they like, and the remaining 10% run what the equipment manufacturer recommends.

This is by no means a scientific study, just what it appears to me...  Personally I have experimented with all kinds of stuff and ratio's.   Now I just run 40:1 in everything two stroke...
  Bikes,chainsaws,& weed whackers.   
  Now I am Old and slow, and rarely even get into 5th on my kx.
If you are hard on the engine you may need to run 32:1,  the guys making big power use it, but then again they do more maintenance I think than the average trailrider... 
As far as trans oil, the bike specific stuff is great, I can't afford it...I've also run everything from ATF to Heavy Duty equipment trans fluid for wet clutch tractors and synthetic 10/40 and 20/50....
  I ended up with Shell Rotella T 10-40   It can be found on sale as low as $11.00 a gallon and has worked great.  Every once in a while I'll run ATF for a few rides and go back to the rotella.
 (the ATF is High detergent and seems to get alot more of the clutch fibers and aluminium plate junk out)

O.K.,   That's my readers digest.  If you snoop around a bit you'll see lots of bloody noses from heated debate on these subjects....
    Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:50:46 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:35:33 AM »
I run this in the K5
Bel Ray HR1 synthetic @ 40:1
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=1242
All bike shops have it.

Valvoline 10W-40
All Wal-Mart's have it.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »
 :-D  I shoulda' just put this link up
  "Cam22: Good oil"
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,1347.0.html

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Coop

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
I use YamahaLube 2R (not 2S) mixed 32:1 in all my two strokes.

I generally run ATF in the trans, but if I don't have that 10w-40 is cheap too. I don't buy bike specific trans oils, too expensive.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

1997 CR80RB, 1993 KX60, 1988 KX125

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
Royal purple tcw3 two  stroke racing oil 40:1

Royal purple syncro-max in the trans

bike parts are too expensive to cheap out on oil

Offline Hman636

• 00 kx 250, 02 yamaha warrior 1700, 06 yz 250
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 02:05:38 AM »
In my 00 KX 250 I run Maxima Castor 927 32:1 and in the bottom end I use cheap 20w 50

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
YUM YUM,   Love the smell of that Castor 927!!!    I even feed that stuff to my Dixie Chopper grass cutter.
Puts a little fun in cutting the grass :-D
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »
When I do ride,I use Shell Rotella in the crankcase and 93 Octane with Blenzoil green label at 32:1 ,That really smells terrific, the neighbors love it!!!

Offline skibum

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:02:09 AM »
I run Opti-2 at 80/1 with av gas. The av gas is great for riding above 10,000 ft.  I never heard of using ATF in the tranny, I may have to give it a try.

Offline Sapper

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:12:53 AM »
Well, this isn't because I am a dealer but I have run Amsoil long before that. We run dominator @ 40:1. (beware, theres a dominator racing oil for cars and one for 2 stroke)
 Internals are always clean and we alway's get great time out of our topends, @ 75 hrs or so. This is hard racing and riding. My boy is brutal.
If you choose this, you can become a preferred customer and pay cost and have it delivered to your door or find a local dealer and see if he stocks. Most don't, they will order for you and have it sent to you. Eventually if you see a need, you can become a dealer. Theres good money in it. and here's a  link to a comparison. http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx
Click on the other oils to see how they match up.

As for the tranny, I run just plain ol' ATF type F. I could run Amsoil m/c 10/40 or supershift. But my wife is a manager of an Advance Auto parts so a discount there helps. I have been running type F since I was a kid in the 70's and 80's.
Here's a pic of my sons kx100 clutch during a rebuild. Then some of the 112 during the build.

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 04:16:40 AM »
I maintained a bike for a guy who ran nothing but ams oil. We would do his top end every twenty hours and the top end and exhauste valve was horribly sludged and carboned. Yamalube way out performed it in this aspect and yamalube is not known for being the cleanest burning stuff in the world.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
I use YamahaLube 2R (not 2S) mixed 32:1 in all my two strokes.

I generally run ATF in the trans, but if I don't have that 10w-40 is cheap too. I don't buy bike specific trans oils, too expensive.

I also run Yamalube 2R the cleanest oil I have ever ran. 32:1 in all bikes / ATF Type F has never let me down in a 2-stroke tranny.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Sapper

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:21:04 AM »
I maintained a bike for a guy who ran nothing but ams oil. We would do his top end every twenty hours and the top end and exhauste valve was horribly sludged and carboned. Yamalube way out performed it in this aspect and yamalube is not known for being the cleanest burning stuff in the world.

Thats really wierd. All of ours is clean. Slight carbon across the top of the piston and PV's clean. What did he mix it at? Dominator or interceptor should be no thicker than 40:1. I used to run 50 but concience got the best of me. Mike Leavitt riding Project 250 is running 100:1 with Amsoil. Granted, the motor has alot of special internal work and machining but they have not had an engine or internal part failure or premature wear yet.

But oils are a personal preference.

Offline don46

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
I've ran Amsoil, I can't say anything bad about it nor can I say anything exceptional about it. you can run most oils at 100:1, the damage is not on the front end it's on the back end, so if your motor would last 100 hours at 40:1 then maybe at 100:1 it would only last 20 hours. On a race bike wear isn't a big issue, durability is because most mikes get torn down frequently. we put pistons in our 125 race bike monthly, it was only raced never practiced so we didn't really care about wear.

many years ago there was test of some of the 2t oils such as bel ray, maxima, golden spectro, castrol you get the idea, the worst oil tested was yamalube, and of course thats what I ran in my snowmobile, which I did notice signifcant carbon buildup. after the article no more yamalube.

Now for my .02, I think any good oil rated TCW 3 is the ticket, I believe this classification is ashless and burns very clean. I have also used redline and swear by it, it is very expensive so I don't use it for play riding but good stuff.  Tranny oil Rotella T only for me.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come