Author Topic: 2-Stroke engine oil?  (Read 13317 times)

Offline BDI

Re: 2-Stroke engine oil?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »
I was not pushing yamalube but I did use it for years. I use K2 now, One of my biggest problems with ams-oil is all the BS snake oil sales tacktics surrounding it. The guy ran his bike at 40:1.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcENY2-ZT5U
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BDI

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 05:41:32 AM »
You know the more I think about this It was ten years ago when the only place you could get ams oil was from the crazy old coot that kept it out back in his shed. They may actually sell a good product now. I'm sure they are makeing good money now that you can buy it in stores. I have always felt that ams oil products were not any better then anyone elses just that they were more honest about how long oil is good for.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline myklskc

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
I use Klotz 40:1  Dropped down to 32:1 for a while to see if any better wear. Same wear, too much Spooge.....

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
dont know if you can get rock oil in the states , used it since 88 never had any problems at all use synthetic 2t from them and gro in the gearbox , aledgedley supplied to vw golf owners for the gearbox !!

Offline KenV

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 02:38:14 AM »
Motul 2T oil in the mix at 42:1 on both Kawis.  Heck, on my chainsaw/hedger/weedslicer as well.  Great stuff, and I fill every 2T device from the same cans.  Keeps the mix fresh  :wink:

The clutch rides in Rotella on both the KX and the KDX.  Might try that synthetic trick to clean off the AL and fiber waste from the clutches every few fills.

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 04:29:36 AM »
i use belray h1r at 40:1. never had any problems with it. I've been riding kx 500's for 13 years now.... before h1r came out i was using belray mc1...

i also use the belray gear oil for the tranny
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline coalpilot

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:04:24 PM »
I use Motorex crosspower 2T @ 44:1 . This is recommended by KTM for their 2T bikes. Seems to work great for me, My sons 04 KX250 is still on it's original piston and rings!!!!!  and yes, he races it. I also like Rock Oil. I use ATF type F in the trans, changing it every other race. Shifts like butter, clutches last a long time...and no sticking or chatter.
If you think you can, or if you think you can't...your right!

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
I too like to run the Motorex pre-mix.  Works great, but as for the ATF in the trans.  It is designed for just that, automatic transmissions for your car.  Wont be seeing me use that.  Read up on it and many others will tell you about their experience.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline alward25

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Not long after getting my 500 I read on this forum about type F and gave it a try.  It seemed fine until a few long high speed runs and it started blowing out the countershaft sprocket seal.  It was apparently foaming and needed an escape.  It might do well on the clutch but I feel the rest of the system requires more lube. I run 25w50 Amsoil motorcycle oil.  After a lot of high speed running and not a drop lost, I am going to stay with an oil like that.  I ran Royal Purple same weight for funnzies with same result.
I might give jet engine oil a try because I can too......
Run what works for you.  We all have different styles of riding.  The same oil might not be the only solution for all riding situations.  When in doubt, run what the factory says.
I don't, but you could. :wink:
"Let there be light"

Offline coalpilot

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »
...It was apparently foaming and needed an escape...Your trans case is not vented??? I rarely do flat out long high speed runs. For what and how I ride, it works, but as was said, your needs may require different. In the heat of the summer I use motorex 75W tranny oil. No mater what you use, change it often, there are no filters in there.
If you think you can, or if you think you can't...your right!

Offline alward25

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
...It was apparently foaming and needed an escape...Your trans case is not vented??? I rarely do flat out long high speed runs. For what and how I ride, it works, but as was said, your needs may require different. In the heat of the summer I use motorex 75W tranny oil. No mater what you use, change it often, there are no filters in there.
The vent was clear too, checked it before and after.  75w is what the engine was designed to use isn't it?
"Let there be light"

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
You know the more I think about this It was ten years ago when the only place you could get ams oil was from the crazy old coot that kept it out back in his shed. They may actually sell a good product now. I'm sure they are makeing good money now that you can buy it in stores. I have always felt that ams oil products were not any better then anyone elses just that they were more honest about how long oil is good for.

Got my oil from a (crazy in a good way) old coot,,, he keeps it in a shed out back of his house. I couldn't stop thinking about this post as I completed the purchase.  :-D :-D :-D
"Endeavor to persevere."