Author Topic: Please help identify FMF pipe?  (Read 4814 times)

Offline NZ500

Please help identify FMF pipe?
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:10:27 PM »
I've just spent ages looking at google to find out what model my pipe is. (FMF gold series with no gnarly or fatty written on it) I suspect it's the same as an oem pipe with the FMF coating and stamp? I do like the look of it. There is a pic at http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7585.0.html

On the mounting bracket it has k-15 kx and 297 below it

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: Please help identify FMF pipe?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »
Not sure which pipe you want id'ing, but your KX500 pipe has the same cone kink as the FMF gnarly torque.the gnarly desert doesn't have the slight kink in the convergence cone.Can't be sure about the fatty pipe, could be one of those, but is isame shape as torque pipe. The ktm pipe looks like a fatty or a rev type pipe.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:47:56 PM by kwakman »
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline NZ500

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
Sorry, I meant the KX one, ktm has a fatty on it. Thanks. I guess it doesn't have a name like gnarly stamped on it because they only sell the gnarly pipe now.  From what I've read on here it sounds like the gnarly pipe isn't much good compared to the others? I still haven't been able to ride the bike since I brought it because crank is being rebuilt, but I guess it will still make crazy power any way. I'm just used to riding really revvy bikes, going to take some adjusting

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:59 PM »
you can still get hold of the desert pipe, just do a worldwide ebay search,they are available.being in N.Z won't help but its not impossible. the pro circuit pipes that enable a good revving 'band are the works/platinum pipes(same cones, different finish), and the pc platinum2 is a good overall compromise, tractors well low down without signing off too early as per the gnarly torque.hth.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »
As Kwak mentioned, it looks to be the "original" FMF bottom-end pipe.  Before the Gnarly & Fatty.  Remember both of these 2 pipes come in a low-mid & mid-top style.  I believe on the older pipes you could find a "D" at the end showing a Desert pipe.  (K-15D) 
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with either pipe as long as you buy the one that suits your riding.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »
Could it be a "Burley" Pipe?

Fitz

Offline NZ500

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. It doesn't have a D after the K-15 so must be a standard one. We don't have deserts here any way and I'm probably to much of a pussy to hold a 500 pinned like I can on the 200 lol. I guess it will be good for climbing hills and towing blown up four strokes on trail rides  :-D

I haven't been able to ride it since I brought the bike and sooo badly want to have a go on it. I've only been on a 500 once, my mates early 90s CR500 and it was great fun on shingle roads. Just waiting for prices on parts from the local dealer (full rebuild) but I think it will be cheaper to get my bits through mrcycles.com in america. I've found a few other cheap places that freight international (has to be USPS or not economical) but they seem to be the cheapest? We really get screwed on OEM motorbike parts here

Offline oic0

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:47:24 AM »
Ive got a Burley that was on mine when I bought it, pretty sure it says "Burley" right on the pipe though.
It was torquey but fell flat on top.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 05:49:27 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
If its your first time out on it you want that pipe as you just shortshift and use the torque curve, NOTHING will pass you on tight stuff, as cracking it open a smidge down low the onslaught is perfect.For parts, search the 'parts identification help' thread.There was a company mentioned by purpletj that was v.good pricewise.K.

Offline NZ500

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »
Cool, thanks very much :)