Author Topic: battery ideas  (Read 3125 times)

Offline JustinSB

battery ideas
« on: June 13, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
By the end of the week I will have my HID set up for my 500 completed. Its a 7" HID powered by Li-Ion batteries and mounted to the forks. The batteries last 3 hours and 20 min.

The whole set up is about $300. I'll post details once I get my system dialed.

Offline Rd

Re: battery ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »
Justin SB
Looking forward to the details.

Offline slow600

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
looking to mount a real battery on my 500. i dont want a trail-tech or similar tiny battery pack. thinking about something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CRF-250X-CRF250X-YTX5LBS-YTX5L-BS-Battery-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e00c26ebQQitemZ360241178347QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

my next issue is where to mount it. my only two ideas so far is fab a battery box somewhere in the rear fender or in a tool pouch on top of the fender. any thoughts or ideas?

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
Thats what is in my crf450x and I plan to use it on my lighting kit on my kx500. It's almost to small for a bike with an electric start and probably a touch big for a bike with out an electric start. In my book perfect
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
Dont run the batteries dead.  I have used Lithium ion packs in a different application. They work great but there is a stop load voltage of about 3.45 volts per cell under a 1 amp load on the cells I use.  If you run it below this you risk damaging the cells.  If you run it dead it is toast.  Find out the operation limits of the cells you are going to use.

questions:  How many Mah are the cells rated for? 

What is the pack voltage?

Is there a charge safe circuit built into the pack?

How are you planning to charge them?

Fitz

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
Off the top of my head I cant answer those questions. I'm preping for two big races this weekend, but once I get done with that I'll post all desired information.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
I ran a battery like that on my 500. I fabbed a mount that was solidly mounted to the sub frame. I don't have a use for it anymore and will sell it to you for the cost of materials. I will also post details about it if anyone is interested.

You can kind of see what it is here.

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
I made one from Lithium-ion cel's from a notebook.
Light and very powerfull. Also you can make it in a shape that you whant.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:49:56 PM by Lawnmowerman »

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:25:56 PM »
I'm finishing it up tonight. I'm racing with it tomorrow night so I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
Looks like an aircraft landing light!

Fitz

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
I got the light lit up tonight. Hopefully all will go well tomorrow. I'll post the details when I recover next week.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »
The light worked well this weekend. We won our class and I didn't have any real issues with the light.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
I'm working on a write up. What do people want to know about how to build a set up for themselves?

It is this light, which is available from a variety of places online for different prices. Mine was about $120 to my door from a guy I found selling them on dezertrangers.com.
http://www.sidebysidesports.com/7hidoflica.html

The light is powered by two of these batteries in parallel. You will also need the smart charger with those batteries. Total for about $130.
http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-6600mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-Protection/dp/B001JE6PXC

I made my own mount out of 3/4" box steel tubing mounted to the forks using 2.5" U-bolts covered in shrink wrap to protect the forks.

What else do people want to know in a detailed write up?