Author Topic: HID Lighting?  (Read 7213 times)

Offline BDI

Re: HID Lighting?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 06:50:13 AM »
 :? :? :? Yes? I don't understand.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:28:22 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »
Wasnt Service Honda working on a new ignition and lighting coil for the KX500? Any word on that?
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline bob larry

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:02:34 AM »
I can't wait to put a light on mine.....may the light God's make it happen.

Right now the best option is a quad Battery in your backpack and bulb on the number plate.   Two wire plug connectors on the
wire to the backpack incase you take a spill...... :mrgreen:
2001 KX500

Offline BDI

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »
I had an epiphany about the lighting coil the other day. As soon as my foot starts to feel good enough to get around with out falling on my head I may do a post about it. If what I'm thinking will work I could do a post about it so anyone can build there own. I'm not an electronics genius but my dad is. I'm going to have him come over and take a look at the parts and coils I have collected and find out what he thinks. I am trying to wait before I do this until I find out what others are doing because I don't want to step on any toes. I am getting tired of this being such a great need with no real cure. I know people say they are working on it  :| I'm getting impatient and I think that building your own coil at home may not be that hard at all.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:12:29 AM by BDI »

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »
it cant be to hard. i would wind my own R/C motors as a kid.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline alward25

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »
The engineer at Electrosport is working on it but it seems they are moving facilities and and is harder to get a hold of than a lard soaked pig.  We have discussed 3 different ideas and we are waiting to see what he comes up with.

I had an epiphany about the lighting coil the other day. As soon as my foot starts to feel good enough to get around with out falling on my head I may do a post about it. If what I'm thinking will work I could do a post about it so anyone can build there own. I'm not an electronics genius but my dad is. I'm going to have him come over and take a look at the parts and coils I have collected and find out what he thinks. I am trying to wait before I do this until I find out what others are doing because I don't want to step on any toes. I am getting tired of this being such a great need with no real cure. I know people say they are working on it  :| I'm getting impatient and I think that building your own coil at home may not be that hard at all.
"Let there be light"

Offline BDI

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I have been looking at this idea for two days. The whole thing is very frustraiting. I have looked at tons of coils on line and have found quite a few that would fit behind the stock flywheel and put out 80 to 100 watts of power and they are moderately wound. There is no reason that someone who was in a good position to do so could not build a decent coil for the kx500. The E-line coil was the same coil from bike to bike just moded to fit. We need a coil that is made just for the kx500. after all the head scratching I have done I'm almost think a whole new ignition system would be the best way to go. The system that AJ from service honda had offered up would be the very best way to go in my opinion. We need to be thinking HID or LED as for a light source so theres no need for a big 200 + watt coil. If You want to run a halogen light on your offroad bike you are way out of the loop. There is no reason to develope a super high power coil for this, 100 to 150 watts max in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:36:40 AM by BDI »

Offline alward25

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
That is what we are working on.
Alex

I have been looking at this idea for two days. The whole thing is very frustraiting. I have looked at tons of coils on line and have found quite a few that would fit behind the stock flywheel and put out 80 to 100 watts of power and they are moderately wound. There is no reason that someone who was in a good position to do so could not build a decent coil for the kx500. The E-line coil was the same coil from bike to bike just moded to fit. We need a coil that is made just for the kx500. after all the head scratching I have done I'm almost think a whole new ignition system would be the best way to go. The system that AJ from service honda had offered up would be the very best way to go in my opinion. We need to be thinking HID or LED as for a light source so theres no need for a big 200 + watt coil. If You want to run a halogen light on your offroad bike you are way out of the loop. There is no reason to develope a super high power coil for this in my opinion, 100 to 150 watts max in my opinion.
"Let there be light"

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm ready guys.  I want to street plate my Service Honda K5AF.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »
I just want to be able to night ride like I used to do with my XR back in the day.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »
I borrowed a light set up a few days ago for a night race. Its the single 8" hid with mounted lipo battery, clamps to the forks lasted for over 4 hrs then we switched to the other spare pack. its from baja designs I liked it because I dont have to keep it on. very bright and weighs hardly nothing.