Author Topic: Help with front brakes  (Read 1947 times)

Offline blueoval

Help with front brakes
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:21:09 AM »
I just installed new front brake pads and a new brake line on the 2000 k5.  They are bled and stop the bike much better.  I rode and broke them in.  They are grabbing and the front wheel is hard to turn by hand when on the stand.  It seems the brake rotor is rubbing up against the caliper (see pic).  Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Help with front brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:27:53 AM »
I had a problem like that on my CR500 turned out the pins the caliper "floats" on were gummed up.  I removed the caliper and cleaned the holes and the pins.  I put a dab of water proof grease on each pin.  If that's not it I would check that the wheel spacers are not swapped.
KX 500 Rider

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
I bled the brakes with a vacuum bleeder at the shop my girlfriend works at. I had replaced the front brake line and it needed fluid. I took the m/c new line and caliper with a old rotor to the shop to bleed. It had worn out pads. I got a good hard lever and went home. I reinstalled everything and put on new pads. The brake was locked. I removed a bit of fluid from the m/c. All better. If its not the pins or the spacers, maybe to much brake fluid. Best of luck.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
It is possible to get too much fluid in there when using a vac/press bleed.  Never experienced in on a M/C but on mountain bikes it can make the pads drag.  Yours looks more like what Danger said with the lside pins being gummed up.  Cam.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:00:33 AM »
Blue,
 The pins should be nice and smooth also.  They tend to get a groove worn in them if they are not serviced once in a while.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=28&navTitle=Brakes&webCatId=15&prodFamilyId=10999#vehicleSelect

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 05:02:56 AM »
The fluid level was ok intel I replaced the pads. It is probably the pins like danger said. I just thought I would share my learning experience.

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:06 AM »
Isn't there a threaded spacer that gets captured in the fork bottom. The axle screwes into that spacer and is captured by the pinch bolts. You may be able to loosen the pinch bolts and slide the wheel over. can we get a picture like the one you took but backed off so we can see the fork bottom, axle pinch bolts and spacer.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline blueoval

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:29 AM »
I loosened up the axle pinch bolts and moved the wheel over a few thousandths and the rotor no longer rubs on the caliber.  I rode it like this and the improvement in front braking performance (with new pads and the steel braided line) has improved dramatically. 

It is very possible that the pins are gummed up.  Havn't taken it apart as of yet.

Posted a few pics, BDI, hopefully they help.

Thanks for the replies.  B.O.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:00:28 AM by blueoval »

Offline blueoval

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »
pics