Author Topic: ASV Unbreakable levers  (Read 5605 times)

toddwunsch

ASV Unbreakable levers
« on: March 16, 2004, 04:40:30 AM »
I know alot of you ride in the woods and run brush guards or lever guards on your bikes.  However, if you're just running brush guards, or nothing at all like me, the ASV unbreakable levers are something to consider.  Since I spend more time picking myself and my bike up off of the ground, I purchased the clutch lever right away after I got the bike.  Cost for the shorty universal lever was $75.  Two days later I cased a pumpkin patch out at Borrego and wiped out big time.  The clutch lever was fine, the break lever was destroyed.  A few days later I purchased the brake lever.

Now a few weeks later I have learned a few things about ASV and these levers.  The clutch levers come in standard universal mount or pro perch.  I bought the standard universal and later wanted to buy the nylon bushing that goes inside the clamp to allow lateral movement of the lever in a crash.  ASV does not make those for the standard universal mount.  Only the pro perch has those bushings.  The nice thing was that they sent me a pro perch for my existing lever assembly and simply charged me the difference between the two.  I think it was $50.  The pro perch runs $125 complete with brake lever, etc...  Additionally, ASV makes a billet bottom clamp for the brake lever assembly that also includes the nylon sleeve.  That runs $25.  Since the master cylinder is incorporated into the brake lever assembly, when you purchase the ASV brake lever, you just get the lever, spring, etc.. and actually replace just the lever portion of your brake asssembly.

In short, if you are considering going this route, do yourself a favor and spring for the pro perch clutch with the nylon insert which allows for lateral movement of the clutch lever assembly.  Also, spring for the brake lever assembly bottom clamp with nylon sleeve to do the same for the brake side.  They guarantee these levers not to break for like 3 or 5 years.  However, who gives a *$%# about a guarantee when you're in the middle of the desert or woods with no clutch.

Rick

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:11:44 AM »
Interesting.  I have never heard of these folks, but will doing a little research.

As a note, I have carried a spare clutch and brake lever in my fanny pack for years.  I found that when you break a lever, even in a race, you are better off replacing the lever instead of riding with the broken lever.  You ride faster, and it's a lot safer.

Rick

mikesmith

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 08:58:01 PM »
Theres the cheaper ones with a 1 year guarantee or the better ones with a 5 year.They've been around for a few years actually,started off as a differnt comany but had a falling out with there partner and formed ASV.They have a veary nice on the fly clutch lever/perch for less than $100.00 from Motosport,cant beat it.Im running one even with hand guards because I broke a lever last summer.

kawdude

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »
Isn't the other company ASR or something like that.  Seems like I've two levers with similar names.

mikesmith

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 06:05:49 AM »
ARC is the other company,they had there lever with with a Axis perch for $229.95.

Sharc

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 09:56:20 AM »
I run Acerbis Rally hand guards - plastic version of Bark Busters. Saves lots of levers...I dropped it on both sides last weekend in the rocks and all was fine...

mikesmith

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 07:27:09 PM »
I also run the Rally guards and 99% of the time it saves me from braking things,but I have broken a brake lever on a tree and it wasnt because the guard slipped.Just a very hard hit,it shattered a 3" manzanita tree!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »
I think I will invest in hand guards. I am prone to smashing perchs and levers. I remember one time I flooded my previous YZ and decided to lay it on its side to drain the carb and get some fuel into the carb and I was soo pissed at it that I let it fall and busted the perch. Stupid move as it ended my day of riding. Now I keep a perch on hand. I've learned the hard way (I.D.I.O.T.) unfortunately.

kawdude

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 05:00:53 PM »
Get the cycra pro bars.  they mount to the triple clamp and the end of the bar.  It's a great piece of armor.

NVR-FNSH

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 05:29:28 PM »
Friend of mine dropped her YZ250F and bent the ASV lever about 5 minutes after installing it......

Brian

kawdude

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »
Nothings fool proof.  That's for sure!  Was it the lever that bent or the pivot?

mikesmith

ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 07:46:57 PM »
Even if it was the cheaper lever its guaranteed for a year,the better one 5 years.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
ASV Unbreakable levers
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 12:33:51 AM »
Here's my .02 ... I put Acerbis Pally Pro's on the bike the day I rolled it out of the dealership (Dec. 2000) and I've never broke a leaver. Beat the heck outta them bashguards but I still have the stock levers ;)