Author Topic: YAY! KDX Build  (Read 24882 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: YAY! KDX Build
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
At first it was difficult to get through the fresh snow but once I had a path it went pretty well. Tried with holeshots on it and got stuck right away lol. I think I prefer straight paddles over the sand shark angled ones. My next set will be straight paddles for the 500. Thinking 10's would do well. 8's aren't enough at least for the 500.

Gonna try to pull the ol lady on a saucer Thursday. Hopefully I can talk someone into taking video of it.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline CR480R

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
You settle on 12/42 sprockets? How are the vibes?  Thinking about doin one for my wife. Have had the chassis sitting here since the zuki engine puked in '07.   I have some early kx250 engines that I had thought about swapping in, but decided I want to save them to use in bikes. Plus I know the vibration would be intimidating for her. A 200 might be perfect.

Offline Goat

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
I changed to a 14/42 for the ol lady. This is her first 2 stroke and it revs out really fast with the 12 on the front. There is very little vibration. A good set of grips and mx gloves and you don't feel any in the bars. Everyone that rides the KDX4 wants me to build them one. It is a ton of fun without the worry of doing a wheelie. It takes weight placement, clutch and throttle control to get a good wheelie out of it. It's very easy to ride wreckless on it :P Sliding around every curve, doing donuts ect. It is also easy to control and ride conservative. 87 TRX250X rear shock is the best mod I've done for handling. It lowered seat height almost 2 inches and made the suspension work together way better than the tiny suzuki rear shock. There is really no going back to the stock shock once the honda shock has been bolted on. The bolts that go through the mounts are 12mm or 14mm where as the factory suzuki bolts are I believe a 10mm. So both the linkage and swingarm need drilled out to fit the honda shock. Expansion chamber needs very little tweeking to fit on the outside of frame or you can do a little cutting and welding and put it through the frame with a little bending. If you need any pics of mounts or whatever just let me know and I will get some taken. Also any questions feel free to ask. :D
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline CR480R

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
It is a ton of fun without the worry of doing a wheelie. It takes weight placement, clutch and throttle control to get a good wheelie out of it.

I can see that. Before mine puked the zuki 250 it was built pretty stout and I only remember it pulling the front when on sand w/ paddles..  Stock swingarm is pretty long on these..

There is very little vibration.

That's reassuring, as I've committed to buying an engine from a member on another site. I know the vibration of the 250 stuff that I have would intimidate a new rider. I figured the 200 will be easier to kickstart as well.

Expansion chamber needs very little tweeking to fit on the outside of frame or you can do a little cutting and welding and put it through the frame with a little bending.

I will definitely be running it inside the frame. I paid alot for the plastics and it's the main reason I have kept the chassis around.  Does the pipe have good clearance to the fuel petcock? A 95 and newer pipe is a lowboy style, but not sure if it'll clear the early cylinders PV cover... I don't have any exhaust yet, might come down to what I can get best deal on.  What silencer did you use?

If you need any pics of mounts or whatever just let me know and I will get some taken. Also any questions feel free to ask. :D

I wouldn't mind seeing some more videos of yours riding. :)

Offline Goat

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 05:56:32 AM »
It is very easy to start. The stock steel kick lever that is on mine clears the foot peg and frame with room to spare.

The exhaust clears the petcock by about an inch without modifying it. If I modded it to fit inside the frame it would have cleared with a lot more room. I was trying to keep it stock so if I decided to put the engine back in the bike frame I could without buying another pipe.

I'm running a FMF Turbine Core silencer. It is a long silencer which puts it just short of being even with the rear grab bar. I've recently been thinking about cutting it down a few inches just in case it gets flipped over backwards it doesn't damage the silencer or bend the stinger on the pipe when it makes contact with the ground.

I'm running the Holeshot style Sedona tires front and rear and couldn't be happier. They were about $50 a tire and work just as well as the $100 a tire holeshots. They also wear better than the holeshots. Also have a set of sand sharks for playing in the snow. As long as it is less than a foot deep it goes through the snow with ease. Anything deeper and it's just too much work getting unstuck and moving again.

We've had a busy year and didn't really get to ride. We had 1 trip up to the track/trails and the rest of the time it was just a quick half hour or so up and down the road in front of the house. Things have finally slowed down and my buddy bought a house with a couple acres so the quads are now over there so we can tear his property up any time we want. I'll get some video next time we can ride and it's not super cold.

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
The kdx looks pretty good. Sounds good too. I'm still working on mine between a few surgeries and not working. But it's coming along. I'll post a current pic in my post here soon. :-D