Author Topic: cooking with smoke  (Read 21887 times)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
Re: cooking with smoke
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
One of the worst best things I did was brine and smoke cure rib steaks. Good thing they were not big cause I ate four within an hour of pulling them out! I felt bad for eating so many, was stuffed from eating so many, but I could not stop until I was busting. Unreal flavor. Tender. For great beans make up your usual mix, put them in a flat cake pan (very shallow, long and wide) so they are spread out, and run a half hour or more of smoke over them. Yummers. Dang! Now I am hungry!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Motorrad

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
Smoked Bread Pudding?!?!? Now THAT made my stomach start to grumble! The pressure cooking is to soften the floater bones so they don?t even get noticed. I do not trim out the bones or the ?red line?. Just fillet and continue. I started trying recipes on carp after I cleaned one fish and got 5# of fillets out of it. Just could not see wasting that much fish. Deep frying is supposed to get rid of the bones as well, but the stuff I did still had a few.
Unless someone wants something else I use Tillamook sharp cheddar and 30 minutes of hickory or apple smoke. I tried mesquite but I was the only one that liked it? Too much smoke flavor. Since my smoker is direct, during the summer, I use a muffin tin with stainless steel safety wire hooks to make a dozen muffin ice blocks and hang them on the rack below the cheese. That way the temp never gets over 85 degrees in the smoker for the 30 minute smoke time. You get up to around 90-100 and you have melted cheese.

what kind of smoker you running?    bradley?  Masterbuilt?  are the two that come to mind with "racks" that are electric

Love my MODIFIED treager

I always brine my Pork Butt, Chicken, turkey, Pork Ribs (takes the porkyness out)................... Only thing I dont brine is my Brisket...

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
Bradley original with an aftermarket controller (Auber?). Lots of good smokers out there, but I have settled on the Bradley. The pellet ones would be good for me as well. I like the "Set it and forget it" smoking these days.

Motorrad

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »
Bradley original with an aftermarket controller (Auber?). Lots of good smokers out there, but I have settled on the Bradley. The pellet ones would be good for me as well. I like the "Set it and forget it" smoking these days.

I have to agree with you.... with the controllers on mine... I can set it.. and it will hold within half a degree.. ALL DAY... I can start with 30deg outside temp.. and it can go to 100deg outside temp... and Ill be within half a dgree the entire time..       thanks to the PID controller doing the "thinking" the entire time...

I used to babysit a water smoker... and a stick burner..     NO MORE for me...    lots of wasted time..

I really like being able to toss on some brisket... and then go run errands for HOURS... come back... and everything is 100% as I left it...

Heck..

I have even hooked mine up to a lamp timer... so I can leave for work... and it kicks on hour or so later....

come home from work to perfectly cooked ribs  :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Mine is built onto the shop with a wood box. Holds close like that as well with the Auber PID. Did some Sous Vide last summer with it. Fun to try, but over all not worth the effort for me. I just stuck a large stainless kettle in the smoker, put the probe in the water, and it held within a half degree. Built a rack, vacuum sealed with cook in bags, and went at it.Tested it first to see if it would hold, then tried a few different things. I prefer the 'Low and Slow' method of smoker cooking. Hot wings has been one of my favorites. I'll make a big batch vacuuseal and freeze. That way when I want some they are ready. Reminds me I need to get some wings! I am out! The Auber PID has six time sets. If I want to delay the start I just do 0 degrees for how ever long I want the delay to be. Nothing better then coming home from work and pulling finished smoked stuff out ready to eat. Well, actually that is a bad thing, but good.  :-P
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:54:52 PM by Brute »

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
Mine on the wall.

Offline turdle

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
Smoked cheese , oh that sounds awesome. What kind  O' cheese

& Alward25 thats just mean, showing off all that "fresh" tasty vac pak'd delicacy. I priced a slab of halibut off the sysco truck $500 for 50lbs, enjoy what you got there

Motorrad slip up to anaheim, bottom of the old disney hotel, used to be granville's now its steakhouse 55. They have a signature rub bone in ribeye, the best I've ever had. If you can copy that ... ummm d**n. Not salt based like most are, all seasoning non cajun. It will give you a food high. While your there dont pass on the cremebrule'   

I make any kind of smoked cheese you can toss on a smoker....

I also make the most bad ass cremebrule you have ever had...

Hmm.. Perhapse Ill make my signature SMOKED bread pudding tomarrow as well..
i had some smoked gouda one time, it was flipping AWESOME!!!!!. i havent found anything close since. :-( :-( :-(

Motorrad

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »
Just pulled the prime Rib from the smoker..

Put on rub last night....   and as usual when I do prime rib... I pulled it out of fridge right before I went to bed... to get internal temp  to room temp... so it will cook more even..

tossed on smoker at 8am..     at 225F....  oak and cherry ...

just pulled it off right now at 11:30.   internal temp at 128F   should coast to 135...

currently sitting "resting"..    and heck.. In just 25min.. Ill be eating LUNCH!

Angle makes it look small... its a 3 bone Prime rib...

Motorrad

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
ladys and gentlemen...

LUNCH

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »
ladys and gentlemen...

LUNCH

ive just had tea and now im hungy again seeing that!!

Motorrad

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
Got a 12LB brisket on deck for tomarrows "easter dinner"..   from my math.. should run about 17hours on the smoker..

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
Just bought a bunch of wings to make hot wings. Yummy!

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
Yummmmm Smoked brisket makes me think of stubbs in austin tx. Like Homer drooling out doohhhnut's. We really need a drooling emotocon. I'm actually having corned beef brisket thats been in the crock pot all day, but its not smoked  :cry:
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Motorrad

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
16 LBS of pork butts   (pulled pork for those non smokers)...     2.5hrs into a 17hr smoke..

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »
STOP this now your killing me. :-D