Author Topic: cooking with smoke  (Read 21869 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: cooking with smoke
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
Never had prairie dog,,, are they good smoked.?
real funny chris! thats kind of like eating carp fish or eating skunk. i think only bear grylls would eat prairie dog. i'm off to start up the smoker to cook supper!

Motorrad

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Spent some time Modifying my smoker some more.  :roll:

As everyone already says to me... "you really need More controls?"

Test run this weekend...

Motorrad

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Did 50 Lbs of Local caught Lake trout... (caught by me and a buddy) today... (see fish recipe on page 2)...

Except, since dove and quail season is around the corner..

I changed it up a bit..

Instead of just hot smoking it..

I can run my smoker as a food dehydrator... (fan and low heat)

SO I turned all of it into Trout Jerky..   makes for a TASTEY snack while out hoofing it 15+ miles chasing quail..

Offline alward25

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 05:52:25 PM »
This is what a subsistence fishing license can get you in Alaska.  2 days of fishing 12 halibut, all bigger than 50lbs and 50 Red (sockeye) salmon.  Best fishing trip ever!!!
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »
Just pulled a 14.5lb brisket off the smoker..    19hours and 20min cook time!!   LOW AND SLOW..

Pics to come. ;)

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 02:48:36 AM »
Golly that's awesome alward!

Motorrad

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
Anyone have a Dry Rub recipe they swear by?    Im not happy with mine..

My local BEST BBQ joint has a VERY simple one.. and I cant hit it no matter how I try..     

Offline turdle

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 12:35:10 AM »
Anyone have a Dry Rub recipe they swear by?    Im not happy with mine..

My local BEST BBQ joint has a VERY simple one.. and I cant hit it no matter how I try..     

we use butt rub. it has a pig on the label. we use it on everthing!!   sometimes a little lowrys and garlic salt too!!

Motorrad

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D I have a Prime rib On deck for tomarrow    :-D :-D :-D

I got away from using Bad Byrons Butt rub...    tad on the salty side for me

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »
I have gone through the gamut on smokers over the years. Wood, charcoal, propane, electric. Have settled on digital electric for my last one, and if it died I would get another just like it to replace it. I am getting lazy! Do not want to baby sit a smoker any more. I use apple, hickory or mesquite. I smoked some carp that was all gone in less then half an hour at work! They would not believe it was carp. I even told them before they ate it! The key for carp is filet, brine, then pressure cook for 90 minutes, then smoke/cook. Came out great. I bowfish, and wanted to see if I could make it edible. Seems to have worked. I do a lot of cheese to bring to work. Guys seem to really like that.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Motorrad

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »
I have gone through the gamut on smokers over the years. Wood, charcoal, propane, electric. Have settled on digital electric for my last one, and if it died I would get another just like it to replace it. I am getting lazy! Do not want to baby sit a smoker any more. I use apple, hickory or mesquite. I smoked some carp that was all gone in less then half an hour at work! They would not believe it was carp. I even told them before they ate it! The key for carp is filet, brine, then pressure cook for 90 minutes, then smoke/cook. Came out great. I bowfish, and wanted to see if I could make it edible. Seems to have worked. I do a lot of cheese to bring to work. Guys seem to really like that.

look back in this thread.. you will see a snap shot of the controll panel of my smoker   :evil: :evil:

there is also a KILLER brine recipe for Trout I posted up...    

I never heard of Pressure cooking carp?

I change my wood from time to time..

My current blend is 75% oak 25% cherry...

blend before now I was Pecan and cherry
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:11:18 PM by Motorrad »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
Smoked cheese , oh that sounds awesome. What kind  O' cheese

& Alward25 thats just mean, showing off all that "fresh" tasty vac pak'd delicacy. I priced a slab of halibut off the sysco truck $500 for 50lbs, enjoy what you got there

Motorrad slip up to anaheim, bottom of the old disney hotel, used to be granville's now its steakhouse 55. They have a signature rub bone in ribeye, the best I've ever had. If you can copy that ... ummm d**n. Not salt based like most are, all seasoning non cajun. It will give you a food high. While your there dont pass on the cremebrule'   
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Motorrad

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
Smoked cheese , oh that sounds awesome. What kind  O' cheese

& Alward25 thats just mean, showing off all that "fresh" tasty vac pak'd delicacy. I priced a slab of halibut off the sysco truck $500 for 50lbs, enjoy what you got there

Motorrad slip up to anaheim, bottom of the old disney hotel, used to be granville's now its steakhouse 55. They have a signature rub bone in ribeye, the best I've ever had. If you can copy that ... ummm d**n. Not salt based like most are, all seasoning non cajun. It will give you a food high. While your there dont pass on the cremebrule'   

I make any kind of smoked cheese you can toss on a smoker....

I also make the most bad ass cremebrule you have ever had...

Hmm.. Perhapse Ill make my signature SMOKED bread pudding tomarrow as well..

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
Dont doubt it people who are anal are generally anal about everything  :-D If your up that way though, I love food, good food. Really need to play with a smoker more though. Got a decent one I just BBQ in it though
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »
Smoked Bread Pudding?!?!? Now THAT made my stomach start to grumble! The pressure cooking is to soften the floater bones so they don?t even get noticed. I do not trim out the bones or the ?red line?. Just fillet and continue. I started trying recipes on carp after I cleaned one fish and got 5# of fillets out of it. Just could not see wasting that much fish. Deep frying is supposed to get rid of the bones as well, but the stuff I did still had a few.
Unless someone wants something else I use Tillamook sharp cheddar and 30 minutes of hickory or apple smoke. I tried mesquite but I was the only one that liked it? Too much smoke flavor. Since my smoker is direct, during the summer, I use a muffin tin with stainless steel safety wire hooks to make a dozen muffin ice blocks and hang them on the rack below the cheese. That way the temp never gets over 85 degrees in the smoker for the 30 minute smoke time. You get up to around 90-100 and you have melted cheese.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...