Author Topic: tusk D-flex mounting  (Read 3010 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
tusk D-flex mounting
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
well, i mounted up the new tusk D-flex handguards that i wrote about in the "wipeout" post. they are really strong, and they look great. when i was mounting them though i got a little crazy and overtightened the right one on the bar end. it stretched the bar a little bit and i can feel the throttle tube dragging on it on the inside, not good. anyone have a suggestion for a fix? i thought about using a scotchbrite style buffing pad on my diegrinder to shave a little off the diameter where the throttle tube sits, but i'm not sure if thats a good idea or not. i'll think on it before doing that. i wish i could take the bars to work and shrink them slightly in the hose crimp press. any other ideas? i'm all ears.

maddoggy

Offline BDI

Re: tusk D-flex mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
Are these steel or aluminum handlebars?
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
i would use emory cloth and just be patient.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:31:28 AM »
they are aluminum bars. i am a little hesitant to trim the diameter down by any method. i would rather shrink them down by some method of crimping.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »
Thats crazy that you were able to stretch them in the first place. You almost need some sort of sizing die. If you could find something with a 7/8 inner to hammer on to the bars but then you will pay hell getting it back off. You might just consider buying new bars.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
use a wheel cylinder hone on the throttle tube.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
Thats crazy that you were able to stretch them in the first place. You almost need some sort of sizing die. If you could find something with a 7/8 inner to hammer on to the bars but then you will pay hell getting it back off. You might just consider buying new bars.
yah, i think the die crimping is the only way to go so the integrity of the bars won't be a question. i really don't like the idea of taking material off by any method even though i only need .030 or .040 probably. i'll let you guys know what i decide to do and whether or not it worked. i did think about new bars, but other than this little problem, they are in perfect condition. i'll try a fix before replacing them.
                                                                              maddoggy

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:19:33 AM »
I like the hose crimper idea myself. I've done that before with great results on aluminum and steel with a Gates crimper. I have not done it on bars, but I don't see the harm in doing it out at the end.

torch

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
these are only a couple bucks :| maybe you could squeeze it back.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 04:25:26 AM »
i was in the garage last night, looking at stuff i cant due now that my wrist is broke, and i took a good hard look at the new handguards. i cant believe i didnt see it before, but the end of the throttle tube was touching the dang handguard. very slightly but it was touching. so i took a bare hacksaw blade and twenty lefthanded minutes later KABOOM, everything is golden now. i swore what i felt was drag on the inner part of the tube. now i feel like an idiot for not giving the problem the proper diagnostics. sorry guys but thanks for your input.

maddoggy