Author Topic: KX500PF  (Read 37257 times)

Offline cutting torch

Re: KX500PF
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 07:45:16 AM »
I am a little confused to why you have to use a front headstay? I hope I can help with that!  Is it so you can get the engine in and out of the frame with the head still on? No. is it just because that is how the frame was set up for the 250 two strokes? Yes. Is it because the bottom rear of the fuel tank will not allow the use of the rear mount headstay? Yes.   I would think that it would be much easier to just fab a mounting location for the rear mount. Not for my frame! On my KXF 250-500 conversion I just moved the rear headstay mount on the frame. I hope you posted a pic!

Looks good though

I did it this way to retain the front headstay mounts on my KX 250 frame, and also to help minimize the modification of the fuel tank. I don't want to loose any more fuel capacity than I have to.

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 07:47:23 AM »
Playground sand worked good!

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:47 AM »
Now I know what you meant, ZETT.

My tank hangs a lot lower in the frame, since a 250 two stroke has a much shorter jug and head than a 250F.

I'll get a pic later today.

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 08:18:40 AM »
The tank still needs to go down about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and it is sitting on the head right now. It was much worse with the headstay there. I might still need a shorty plug, too.

torch

Offline WRXBRUMBY

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:35 AM »
Torch that is a work of art mate, well done :wink:

Rekluse Z-Start pro would be awesome as you will have the full manual override at all rpm's with the clutch. This thing will be a weapon once you have all these mods complete, keep the pics coming

Any issues with excess vibration in these frames? are you going to use any rubber in your mounting?

cheers

Dan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:37:32 AM by WRXBRUMBY »
2008 FE650 (KX500 but with manners and E-Start)
2003 KX500 Scares me! (Reminded me I couldn’t ride well)
1997 TE610 Arm chair! (Made me think I could ride)
2000 CT110 Fun!
1986 KDX200 SOLD! (But looking for another)
1970 AG100 Still makes me 😀

Offline don46

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 02:23:10 AM »
Torch,

use the shorty plug, even then you will probably have to push the tank up a bit to get clearance. If you use your heat gun, and heat a large area you can form the tank around the head so you have clearance. I used a piece of large pipe and a rubber strap, heated it, formed it how I wanted it, then used the rubber strap to hold the plastic till it cooled.

Zett, the 250F was alot cleaner at the rear of the head, but in the end the 250 2t was easier to do than the 250f.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 02:39:28 AM »
Zett, the 250F was alot cleaner at the rear of the head, but in the end the 250 2t was easier to do than the 250f.

Man, I don't know....It seems to me that the 250f is the easy'er one to do.
Easy headstay mod
No swingarm mods
Very little gas tank mod
And it looks like the tank hangs so low on the 2 strokes that it will need some modification to clear the carb,
also by using the K5 cradle I was able to keep the removable front motor mounts. Makes getting the engine in and out pretty easy (seems like I done it a  hundred times now)

Keep up the GOOD work.  I love these projects!!!
                                                                    ZETT

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 12:01:59 PM »
Torch that is a work of art mate, well done :wink:

Rekluse Z-Start pro would be awesome as you will have the full manual override at all rpm's with the clutch. This thing will be a weapon once you have all these mods complete, keep the pics coming

Any issues with excess vibration in these frames? are you going to use any rubber in your mounting?

cheers

Dan

Thank you! I have no idea on the vibes, maybe someone else knows the answer to that one. I won't use rubber to mount the engine. I asked, here I think, whether the frame helped make the engine more rigid, or if the engine made the frame more rigid. I was informed that the engine is basicly a 60 pound frame brace.

torch

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Torch,

use the shorty plug, even then you will probably have to push the tank up a bit to get clearance. If you use your heat gun, and heat a large area you can form the tank around the head so you have clearance. I used a piece of large pipe and a rubber strap, heated it, formed it how I wanted it, then used the rubber strap to hold the plastic till it cooled.

Good idea for the tank! How much clearance do you think it should have? I think a half inch should do it.

torch

Offline skippyhenry

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 01:32:33 AM »
looks good torch. :-o Reckon the vibes shouldnt be that bad, comparde to the af.

Offline don46

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:27 AM »
Torch,

Good idea for the tank! How much clearance do you think it should have? I think a half inch should do it.

torch
If you can get a half inch that would be great. Just remember to do a fairly large area and go slowly and you'll be good.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
This was from Team Green mechanics and a few key guys at Pro Circuit.  Said the trannys had problems when using those clutches.  This was back in the 1998-2002 era they made those statements. 

I view the auto clutches as this.   Makes your bike more like a kids bike.    If someone was handicapped and couldn't run a clutch lever.  Thats fine.    I prefer a clutch.  Thats just me though.   And want the bike to require a lot of user input for control.

Its nice to have options with technology.   Just doesn't mean the different setups are desired or needed by all.

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
This was from Team Green mechanics and a few key guys at Pro Circuit.  Said the trannys had problems when using those clutches.  This was back in the 1998-2002 era they made those statements. 

I view the auto clutches as this.   Makes your bike more like a kids bike.    If someone was handicapped and couldn't run a clutch lever.  Thats fine.    I prefer a clutch.  Thats just me though.   And want the bike to require a lot of user input for control.

Its nice to have options with technology.   Just doesn't mean the different setups are desired or needed by all.

Not only are you calling me handicapped in my own thread, but you still can't explain how an auto clutch can hurt the tranny. I don't care who you heard say whatever, they sound just like you: trashing on a product to make themselves feel superior. You did that with your handicapped reference.

I invite you to explain to me exactly how an auto clutch can hurt a tranny. If you can't, I invite you to leave my thread.

torch

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »
If it released like a hand clutch I don't see how it would hurt the trans.  If it went to 1000 rpm and instantly went to engage I could see that as a problem but you would see the front wheel in the air.  I like the hand clutch.  I'm in the wrong gear all the time on my automatic 250ES Big Red Honda 3 wheeler.
I am handicapped and I ride with a guy that was born missing his index, middle finger and toes on the left side.
ToomanyKaws meant no disrespect from what I read.

On the other hand I don't transport my bikes in gear because I think it is bad on the transmission. 
KX 500 Rider

Offline WRXBRUMBY

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
In regards to the Auto clutch?.?each to their own?

IMHO: They are a fantastic bit of kit especially when the going gets rough and tough. They have the ability engage, disengage and slip with a precise & controlled amount of pressure all the time every time. This is far better than any human hand could do in the nastiest of terrain due to the bumping and thrashing that the bike does in these circumstances. It inspires confidence to stand rather than sit, I know that once I am standing on a rutted out hill climb my left hand is purely there to stop me from flying off the back hehehehe (what clutch? :lol:)

You modulate the engagement pressure and speed by how hard you twist the throttle at low rpm, once engaged it is locked on as a normal clutch of not harder depending on the weight of the balls.  The quicker you pull the harder the balls fly out up the ramps and the harder it clamps on the clutch pack. The only diff really is at low rpm where it has the ability to slip near idle, it then progressively engages up to about 1200 ish rpm untill it is fully locked, basically what you would do normally anyway on a stand still take off with a manual clutch. You would think that the big K5?s gearbox could handle some low rpm slippage and probably no more punishment than a precision fanning or quick stab of standard clutch lever. If anything it doesn?t allow you to stab at the clutch too violently and blip it too hard on the Tranny.

The worst thing would be the slipping of the clutch pack if you are in too higher gear. This situation would actually limit the amount of torque given to the tranny by the slipping of the clutch pack. In this situation the tranny would be protected but the shelf life of the clutch pack will surely be diminished.

BTW I?m with Danger on that one; I don?t think he meant any disrespect??.but ?kids bike?  :-o :-o hehehehe that was a close call.

Hope you have the goods to get the Rekluse Z-Start pro going mate (bring on the best of both worlds I say with full manual override when needed one minute and ?Kids bike? the next :wink: )

Cheers

Dan
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:10:35 PM by WRXBRUMBY »
2008 FE650 (KX500 but with manners and E-Start)
2003 KX500 Scares me! (Reminded me I couldn’t ride well)
1997 TE610 Arm chair! (Made me think I could ride)
2000 CT110 Fun!
1986 KDX200 SOLD! (But looking for another)
1970 AG100 Still makes me 😀