Author Topic: Fuel tank Questions  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Fuel tank Questions
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:49:38 AM »
After putting a whole bunch of money into my 93 K5. Found out the tank had a leak. I patched it with a whole tube of epoxy. Thought that fixed it until I put it in the garage after another ride. I think it either sprung another leak or the epoxy cracked. It's not leaking nearly as bad as it was but it's still leaking.

Since I'm looking for a new tank I might as well get an oversize one. My question is which one would be better Clark or IMS? I mainly woods ride. I like my PC pipe and not looking to make my bike look like a 250 so the Davis IMS is out. I did search for an answer but didn't find what I was looking for. Cost asside which is a better tank overall? Pros vs cons.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline blueoval

Re: Fuel tank Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:58:56 AM »
Hey Goat, take a look at the picture of my 2000 k5.  I just bought that 3.6 gallon IMS tank.  I have used it several rides now and love it.  Doesn't look like a 250.  It looks good.  I can still get to the spark plug with the tank in place.  The pipe doesn't burn the tank.  Fits perfectly.  I have a ProCircuit pipe.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6649.0.html

B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »
goat, you could patch the tank with a hot iron by melt/stitching the crack to get you by till a new tank arrives. just do the obvious first, drain the tank- remove from the bike- fill with water and rinse it out. do all this before you apply any heat.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
Looks good B.O. I haven't had to change a plug yet but I don't want to be on the trail and have to pull the tank to do so. That was one of my concerns with the clark tank. Looks pretty tight from the pics I found on google. Thanks

Maddoggy thanks for the advise. But the underside of my tank looks like it was drug across a gravel road for a few miles. I seriously used an entire tube of 2 part epoxy.

In a couple weeks I'll be working again and wont have much time to ride. I'll just save my pennies and get a new tank. It's not leaking real bad. I'd say I've lost maybe 3 ounces in the last week of sitting in the garage.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
IMS quality and looks are much better hands down. For the $30 or $40 price difference, IMS is the better IMO. 8-)
"Let there be light"