Author Topic: Need new pipe-want more RPM  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Need new pipe-want more RPM
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
 My Gnarly Woods pipe has seen better days and needs to be replaced. I would like a little more upper RPM power as I like to ride at high RPM. Should I get another Gnarly Woods pipe and remove the reed spacer ? OR should I get a Gnarly Desert pipe and leave reed spacer in place ?  I do not race, I only trail ride, mostly wide track and sometimes tight single track.
  I hope someone has tried both the Desert and Woods pipes and is willing to share thier opinion. I am open to all suggestions at this point.
Thanks for your replies. John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Need new pipe-want more RPM
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
John,

Stewart has testing shows the PC pipe with the strongest #'s up top (don't know if he tried the Desert Fatty).

I have the FMF Gnarly & feel it is the best Bottom & Mid pipe, but agree if you want more up top there are better pipes.

Blue Oval is using the Desert Fatty maybe he can give some input.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline amra500

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
i run a p/c pipe and stock silencer it seems to pull hard everywhere but i havnt run a desert fatty just a fmf gnarley and i like the pull all the way through top end on the p/c plus i run a rad valve so it all works together well

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
I have always heard the Pro circuit pipes are for top end. I use a Gnarly myself.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
Ok, without much research , I have decided to remove the Gnarly Woods pipe and install the Gnarly Desesrt pipe.  I am guessing the low RPM power will decrease and the high RPM and power will increase. I have always liked the Gnarly Woods pipe, but didnt like the absence of high RPM, compared to the stock pipe.

John
Its almost warm and dry enough to ride in Michigan. ( if the rain holds off )
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:32:51 PM »
I have a pc works pipe, and both my friends have fmf desert pipes they dont have the upper end rpm I got but i still have the low grunt too its kind of the best of both. just my opnion

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
It would also be worth considering getting a bigger carb if you want more rpm.

I think stewart and a few others are running a sudco 41mm, which sounds like the goods.

I have a fmf gnarly desert on mine, but one of the biggest differences i noticed up top was when i played around with a lectron 44mm carb on the bike.
It screamed and had a top end surge like a 250. But then a piston pin spring clip broke in half and destroyed my top end and i havent had the time to put the lectron back on yet since the rebuild  :oops:

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »
It would also be worth considering getting a bigger carb if you want more rpm.

I think stewart and a few others are running a sudco 41mm, which sounds like the goods.

I have a fmf gnarly desert on mine, but one of the biggest differences i noticed up top was when i played around with a lectron 44mm carb on the bike.
It screamed and had a top end surge like a 250. But then a piston pin spring clip broke in half and destroyed my top end and i havent had the time to put the lectron back on yet since the rebuild   

How was the low and mid with the lectron setup?
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
When I had the brand new original stock pipe on, I had upper RPM power, then when I switched to the Gnarly Woods pipe the bottom end power went up, but lost RPM. In other words the pipe moved the power to a lower RPM.  I was hoping someone has tried both the Gnarly Woods pipe and the Gnarly Desert pipe, and could comment on the difference. I have already ordered the Gnarly Desert pipe and will post my  seat of the pants "butt dyno" results here in a few weeks.  I am guessing the Desert pipe is designed for higher RPM and the Woods pipe is designed for lower RPM.
 As far as installing a Lectron and destroying the upper end, I will leave those modifications for someone else who is more skilled than I am.
 John
 2004 KX500 E16

Offline junk man

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »
So why not put the stock pipe back on  ?

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 12:14:26 AM »
  The original pipe was damaged in a crash or I would try that again. The Gnarly Desert should be here in a week or two and we will try that and report back.  When the April rain stops the trails will dry out and I can get out riding again.
  Has anyone tried the Dunlop MX31 sand/soft tires yet ?  The Dunlop 733 tire has been dsicontinued so something else must be used.
 John
 2004 KX500 E16

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
How was the low and mid with the lectron setup?

Sorry cant really remember mate, i was only concerned with more top end at the time, so i didnt really pay attention to much else. Also i didnt have much ride time at all befor the piston pin clip broke on me.

As far as installing a Lectron and destroying the upper end, I will leave those modifications for someone else who is more skilled than I am.
 John

:roll: The top end wasnt destroyed as a result of the carby, it was just unlucky that a piston pin clip broke.
I havent even heard of this happening to anyone else    :x

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
  I usually only make one change at a time, but this time I changed a bunch of stuff. I took off the  D773 tires and changed to MX31 tires, I took off the reed spacer, I installed the  V-Force 3 reed cage, I removed the Gnarly Woods pipe and changed to the Gnarly Desert pipe.
   I lost a small amount of torque at off idle/ low rpm, but the mid and upper rpm have improved greatly. It was raining today and I was unable to ride the bike to its full potential but the power gains were great.
  The Gnarly Desert pipe fit much better than the Gnarly woods pipe. On both pipes I had to grind and file the gasket surface to get the pipe to hang by the springs in correct position, then I bend or shim all mounts to secure the pipe without adding any tension. The Desert pipe fit a lot better than the woods pipe.
  John
 2004 KX500 E16

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 01:17:53 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention, that with the Gnarly Desert pipe I was able to move my kickstarter back to the original position, with the Gnarly Woods pipe, I had to move my kickstarter a spline or two to prevent it from hitting the pipe. I was very happy to be able to put it back in the correct position.
 John
 2004 KX500 E16

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
try a p.c. woks pipe. lots of topend great desert pipe. just looks ugly after a while.