Author Topic: Race Fuel  (Read 2267 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Race Fuel
« on: March 02, 2004, 12:24:27 PM »
Well, over this weekend, I took my kx out to a local strip (bucklebearies (aka Glamis of the east coast)). I decided I'd pick up a barrel of C12 to see if any diffrenece was made.

Well, after dumping a new car's worth of money into a toy I thought I'd give it a shot. Well, I filled the tank with 93 pump mixed with Bel-Ray MC1. Warmed it up and took a few drags (1/2 mile dirt strip), oh yeah, it's fast with that new pipe, it's got quite a load of bottom end, but the top-end screams. So, during a drag, getting to the load of 5th gear, I noticed alot of spark knocking and pinging. After I clutched and started to slow down I noticed it surged a bit and was keeping a not-very noticeable rev. So, after running about 5 more runs and a few trail rides I thought I'd try a tank of C12 mixed /w Klotz Super Tech @ 36:1. Fired up and took it out to the strip. Lined beside a few supermodded Banshee's, Raptors, 400exs, XR650, a few 250's and 450's and a KTM 520. Well, time came and the KX hooked up keeping side by side with the 520, and about an 1/8th way through the drag my KX quite left everything in the dust. *not too bad for a 14 year old bike. The only bike remotely was the XR. But, I beat him by about an 1/10th mile. Fun fun. Anyway, the C12 made a huge diffrence in the top-end, no spark or pinging, and no reving or surging after a drag. But, was it still worth $9.5 a gallon? For a few weekends, yes, but not for everyday trailing. Good for WFO riding, but worthless for trails.

Just my experience.  :shock:

mikesmith

Race Fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 08:52:38 PM »
Hey the way the price of pump gas is going it may not that bad of a deal!

toddwunsch

Race Fuel
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 08:56:34 AM »
I run the VP 110 or Unocal 110 Octane fuel with the same results.  Runs about $30 for 5 gallons over here in CA.

bazza

Race Fuel
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 01:42:34 AM »
I'm dead jealous of you guys over there in the States. Over here in the UK, we've only got the choice of crappy 95 or 98 octane unleaded (break out the pro boost!!). To get anything better i've got to travel some miles to an airfield and buy Avgas (110 octane) - but it's only a matter of time before some jobsworth starts complaining that i've not got a bloody Cessna airplane to put it in!!!