Author Topic: Quick help with V-Force 3  (Read 8496 times)

Offline kawi4ever

Quick help with V-Force 3
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
Hi I just got my cylinder back from plating and my new V-Force 3 in, and when I install the V-force it is very snug in the cylinder, like the reed stops and too wide for the opening in the cylinder and when installed they actually are squeezed a little. Is this NORMAL with V-3 ? Please anybody that has installed these please let me know. Thanks ERIC  :?

stewart

Re: Quick help with V-Force 3
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
they do fit snug ..if there to tight sanding roll on a die grinder till some slight clearnce should do fine but rinse very good to remove grit

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
Thank you, i am going sand a little to give some space. Thank You  :-D

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »
Just got done sanding and grinding, what a joke just to get them snug and not super tight.. I hope this was worth it over the Rad Valve I already had in the engine before rebuild...

stewart

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »
it s worth it

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
I got the rad valve on my kx and 2 cr500's. is the v force better or just what you have installed? just asking

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »
rad valves suck. v-force is a major improvement in technoligy.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »
Brian
Your right the rad valve for the kx 500 is a great midrange cage with a 38mm carb. Back in the mid 90's when v-force was making there cages out of billet aluminum and good carbon base stock reeds, they were king. Know there plastic cages with poor carbon base stock.

The rad valve is a 250 design

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »
Because the v-force has twice the reed peddal tip area it only has to move half as far as any other reed to flow the same amount. It has a super high Frequency response. I would say it has twice the frequency response of any other reed. that is what they were trying to accomplish with the dual stage reeds like the rad valve but what you get is a reed that is a compromise.

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
you have any comparison to each other some numbers maybe. I dont know my kx revs fast and has serious low grunt and has great responce overall, The cr is a little different it lost some bottom end but sure picked it up in the mid and top. also my kx has good over rev.   The rad valve is made of billet and the vforce is plastic. give some reasons that it is so much better you guys arent giving very much. Ive had it on for over 5 years now with no problems.

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 04:45:29 PM »
you have any comparison to each other some numbers maybe. I dont know my kx revs fast and has serious low grunt and has great responce overall, The cr is a little different it lost some bottom end but sure picked it up in the mid and top. also my kx has good over rev.   The rad valve is made of billet and the vforce is plastic. give some reasons that it is so much better you guys arent giving very much. Ive had it on for over 5 years now with no problems.
Do you understand how reeds work as far as stiff versus soft and why the reeds ability to respond to engine pulses is so important. Also I know stewart has dyno tested the s**t out of the different reeds. perhaps he could give you some numbers. by the way do you wan't to get rid of your rad valve. I want one to cut up to make something out of.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »
The over the shelf reed cages are at there limits for more power and torque.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:35:11 PM »
I've tried a few reed types over the years from original Boyeseen's back in the day to more recent Carbon Techs to V-Force (The V-Force's on a buddies bike, not mine ), and didn't notice any substantial difference other than slightly crisper throttle response in the mid. IMO reeds are just another wallet bait gimmick, but then again maybe on a mod engine and a dyno there is in fact more power to be extracted by tuning...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:37:07 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
i know the rad valve was designed to correct flow due to having a kink in the inlet tract to fit the shock.(not an issue on 86)is the v force 3 to improve mid range throttle response, or top end? and will they fit an 86 cyl? I was just going to get boyesen pro reeds, any thoughts?
Thanx, K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »
 Also I know stewart has dyno tested the s**t out of the different reeds. perhaps he could give you some numbers. [/quote]
 :-D Thats what I thought...  It's apparently about the reed petal tip area...

I used to have a Boysen. There is something to be said for the long life of the billet intake they have and would kinda be cool for Boysen to make that intake for the big 41-44mm carbs. The Boysen, I had, came with my purchase of the bike, so no way for me to know what stock ones are like. I read about Stewart testing all of the reeds. Testing with a dyno, not trying to guess at anything. His findings on the Vforce impressed him. He said "the "RAD" valve must stand for Release At Dumpster, because its the only safe place for it." That info kinda stuck with me. The man of few words had some good ones there. :lol: I did question the plastic construction, and if it would stand up to race gas. It does. Cutting the tabs off flush on a brand new intake boot was more sketchy than any of it. Hopefully the V3i will continue to be developed. The "i" stands for Intake. They have an intake kinda like the Boysen design. I think they are only available for new Yamahas and Suzukis.
  Vforce II's helped my bike's tuneability. When you change a carb setting, you can tell. 8 bikes in the shop, 8 sets of Vforce, v2 or v3, in them. They work well....