Author Topic: Rear shock oil change on my KX500 - how to  (Read 4814 times)

woodsy

Rear shock oil change on my KX500 - how to
« on: March 01, 2004, 06:28:41 PM »
Hello Again:
Just thinking about swapping the rear shock oil out on my 5.  Is there a REAL simple way of doing this without removing the shock from the bike?  Can I just release the prressure from the Nitrogen blatter and pull the cap that is holding the top "clicker" in and drain the  oil from this hole?  If so, how do I insure that I have no air in the system..  The bikes shock has NEVER been serviced and I would really like to do so!  I have a feeling that the factory oil is shot - any suggestion of oil and weight of oil for the refill (I ride woods LOTS).  
AM I even CLOSE to a doable idea??
THanks again!
Woodsy

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 07:22:24 PM »
Rick has a good post on shock service,pull the shock to clean and inspect it.I dont see how you could do it right in the frame.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 12:54:29 AM »
Here you go:
Shock Service

Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 04:49:53 AM »
Nope, it is not possible to change the oil with the shock in the frame.  Take a look at the shock service post and let us know if you have any questions.  

As for oil weight, I just serviced my shock and used 10 weight Bell Ray Suspension fluid.  You CAN NOT use fork oil in the shock, no matter what the guy at the motorcycle shop tells you.  Use the right fluid and you will be a happy guy.  Use the wrong fluid, and your shock will fade after the first 1/2 mile as the oil foams from the heat.  Your shock then becomes a pogo stick. Better have a good helmet... :shock:

Rick

kawdude

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 01:42:12 PM »
What is recommended wt. to use.  I assume that the heavy oil slows the shocks reaction?!?

woodsy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 12:39:17 PM »
Hey thanks a zillion guys!!  Rick, that post about shock rebuild is perfect!  I will let you know how I come out with this thing!!
Thanks again!
Woodsy

FastKX500

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 03:28:58 PM »
woodsy are you the woodsy from woods riders in PA?

woodsy

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 05:36:42 PM »
Sorry but no, I am from Michigan.  IS there another Woodsy who woods rides a KX500??

FastKX500

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »
haha i dont know what he rides but he owns woodsriders in pa and they call him woodsy  8)