Author Topic: Milky oil in sight glass on 02 KX 65  (Read 13776 times)

Offline flynorange

Milky oil in sight glass on 02 KX 65
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:13:46 AM »
I continue to see milky oil through the side case sight glass. I change the oil after each ride and once the bike gets a few minutes run time you can see the milk. The coolant level never changes or gets low and we are not riding in water or wet weather. This also happens weather or not i wash the bike. When the oil is drained after each ride it looks fine, no milk. Any idea what else i need to check or am missing? Is it possibly the brand of oil I'm using? That's the only thing i haven't tried. :|

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Milky oil in sight glass on 02 KX 65
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 03:27:11 AM »
Replace the water pump seal, milk will be gone. :-D

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:35:02 AM »
Replace the water pump seal, milk will be gone. :-D

+1 on this
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Sapper

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
+3 on seal.

The inner seal will leak. about a $4 seal.
Also, what kind of oil are you using?  ATF Type F is a good choice or Motorex.

Offline blueoval

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
Just to throw something out there.  Is there a chance that the clutch plates could be causing the condition?   
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »
Just to throw something out there.  Is there a chance that the clutch plates could be causing the condition?   

Don't know how it could.

Usually see an increase of fluid in the sight glass also.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:00:34 PM »
 If anyone is wondering,
 what I think  BlueO might be refering to is the irredescent silver found in the drain oil in bikes with aluminum clutch plates.
   The aluminum wears off from the friction and leaves the silvery/mercury colored mixture in the top of the oil.
 When and if the clutch is replaced with steel aftermarket plates there is a reduction of the substance as the case gets rinsed out with subsequent oil changes. 
   There is a difference in the appearance and texture between the two, I think the reason it would throw someone off who has seen coolant in the oil of an automotive engine is possibly the aluminum from the clutchplates.

What I'm wondering is flynorange states that when he drains the oil it looks fine....
 and the fact that he says the fluid levels don't change in either the coolant or the trans.

If you have the silvery stuff in the drain pan, what you might be seeing is that substance from the side.
  (What Blue O is reffering to) clinging to the sight glass.
   If I remember correctly,  you can take a bright light and peak at the sight glass you will see the shiney silver stuff usually found in drained oil. 
   Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:05:08 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline blueoval

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
Thanks Tuck for the explanation!  Your knowledge and insight is always appreciated.  B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
 Oy,
You are too Kind Sir,  :oops:
  I am certainly no-one special.   I do find there are members around that forgot more than will ever know,
They will jump in when I put the Ka bosh on something.    Stick around, it happens quite often, you can usually tell  by how many times I have to modify the post... :-o     
  I guarantee I would be totally lost at an auto / machine/ marine/ diesel shop... 
      Keep The Faith!
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline flynorange

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »
Thanks to all for your input. I have the seals and will replace them tonight. What about water pump bearings? i have replaced these on 50' in the past yet never been concerned about them on the big bikes. Is this something to consider doing while i'm replacing the seals?

I've been running just regular 5w-30 motor oil. Again use to run type F in the auto clutch 50's but never gave a thought to it in the bigger bikes. Will the type F still give the protection on the internal gears? I imagine it would probably make the clutch work smoother opposed to the motor oil.

Thanks again for everyone's help.