Author Topic: Recommended engine builder in New England? Big Bore  (Read 3622 times)

Offline 93cbra

Recommended engine builder in New England? Big Bore
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »
Looking to get a big bore kit for my K5, anyone have recommendation for a place that could do it in the Mass/NH/ Maine area?

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: Recommended engine builder in New England? Big Bore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
IF you want to keep your engine local, in the New England area, maybe check with the Pinsonnaults.  They are big into hill climbing and have done some KX500's.  Never had anything done by them, but they did help me and CBX with 44 Megatron carb set-up. 
Todd can be found on here every once in a while, I believe his name is GREENKAW24.
Here are some of their links:
RPM MFG. & Racing Services - Books

www.rpmmfg2.com

Pinsonnault Racing

www.pinsonnaultracing.com
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
why not send your cylinder to max power and have them bore it to 88 mm and replate then its a big bore

Offline streetsweeper

Re: engine builder in so cal
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »
Hi Stewart,  do you know anybody in southern California that specializes in engine rebuilding kx5s?  thanks  ss

Offline kx560

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
Stay away from the sleeves, they are garbage. Been there and dune that.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:18:44 AM »
Now if you would like some options outside your area, You can send it to any cylinder plating shop to have it bored and plated.  You can supply the piston or they will for you.  My advice, Power Seal because they are probably closer and cheaper for you.  If you would like a complete top-end upgrade you could send it to Eric Gorr.  More money involved, but if you look at his Big Bore Package and break down what everything would cost seperate, this would probably be your best bang for buck.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:10:25 AM »
You don't have to sleeve the cylinder to use the La sleeve 88.4 or 88.6 mm piston. All 4 that we have done were bored out and re-nikasiled, if you go with the sleeve it just gives you the option to from 88.4 to 88.6 after the 88.4 is worn out. All I do is purchase the piston from La Sleeve , I dont like their gasket kit, all though it is Cometic it comes with a 43thousands head gasket and paper base. I run a custom order 10thousands head with the newer factory metal base. If this is something you might be interested in let me know I have some extras of the head gasket or I can hook you up with the custom part number and you can order it direct from Cometic. You may also be able to call Power Seal and have them order the piston they may get a better price and get a package deal going. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
Just remember, the 88mm Piston is a little more available than the bigger 88.4
88mm can be ordered from numerous places where as the bigger only come from LA Sleeve (i believe).

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:32:15 AM »
Looking to get a big bore kit for my K5, anyone have recommendation for a place that could do it in the Mass/NH/ Maine area?

Just curious why are you looking for a Big Bore?
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
by end of april you can 91mm if you want from  www.pinsonnaultracing.com.

Offline 93cbra

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:48 AM »

Just curious why are you looking for a Big Bore?
DoldGuy

I broke a piston (well the guy I bought it from did) and now the cyclinder has some gouges. I figured if I have to repair the cyclinder why not go for something a  bit different.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, this will get me going.