Author Topic: New tires that are 6 years old ain't new...  (Read 5265 times)

teamgreen500

New tires that are 6 years old ain't new...
« on: February 29, 2004, 06:01:07 PM »
I wanted to touch on something here.

Tires dry out and "go bad".

I broke in a new motor today and decided to run a set of wheels/tires that have been sitting since November '98. Actually, the rear had been run a little in '99-'00.

Man, the stock 695/490 combo ain't all that bad....well, at-least when they're still new enough to work.

The tires I rode on today were scary! Especially when it started to rain...that's when I realized how bad they were. You see, I knew they'd be stiff and non-responsive (Tires/Knobbies "Flexing" is one VERY Important feature in the "Hard-Packed" environment that these tires are designed for) on hard-packed; But, I was gonna be on damp trails and Fresh "Loam"...no problem...right?

NOT!

They were fine in the loam...but, on the afore-mentioned "Damp" trails...Ice-Racing without Studs! :oops:

I'm taking the time to type all this to remind you that these are Really Demanding Powerful bikes...and I was breaking-in a really GOOD Motor...they REQUIRE good rubber.

Don't skimp. Get your money's worth by not trying to make your money go TOO FAR!

Tires, and most other rubber products (Don't worry, your KX intake boot is polymerized like vinyl...) dry out. Think of a thin petroleum type solvent/oil evaporating. That's what happens to tires that sit around. Ever seen grips that have been sitting for a few years?

The only thing I got to practice today was "Throttle Control" :lol:

Learn from my Stupidity...please,

Manny

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 08:16:44 PM »
On my last set of tires I thought Id make my wife happy by getting the Maxxis IT's(cheap),the rears decent for the money but the front tire is definitly what you pay for!OK for trail putting,but not for going fast!Any one try a Dunlop 742?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 02:51:41 AM »
I still love, and pay for, a fresh S12 up front but that I/T on the rear is pretty d**n good :wink:

mikesmith

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 06:54:05 PM »
Do you only run a s12 on the front(not a m12)?I just wonder how it is in mud/sand to hard pack/rocks?Never ran one,but need a do it all tire and wonder how well it works?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 12:50:51 AM »
The S12 doesn't last as long as the M12 in the Sonoran Desert - not much mud though :lol:. I can tell you it's a good tire in sand, hardpack and rocks. For the gription this tire has I pay the extra to pop one on more often.

I am lined up to try a set of Kenda Millville's and will report back on thier performance.

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 09:01:59 PM »
So if theres mud run a s12, a m12 in the dry,and the m12 last longer?Ever compare it to a Dunlop 756?Let me know if its better than a 756 as far as wear/traction.And how the Millvilles work,someone wrote here they liked the rear,wonder how the front is?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 06:41:23 AM »
I like the S12 way better than the 756. But then again I haven't found a Dunflop I like yet...

kawdude

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 03:34:18 PM »
Anybody use the Maxxis H/T?  I'm in need of new rear and looking at the Maxxis or IRC.

FastKX500

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 10:35:09 PM »
Yea I definately need a new rear tire, I have like no traction, when I roll on the gas and its just a little bit wet, the tire will just spin, I know it wants to grip but it cant...just too much torque. Anyone know a good wide tire that will give me alot of traction in fields and trails?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 12:57:11 AM »
Maxxis I/T is a great all around REAR tire ;) Avoid the Maxxis front like the plague though

mikesmith

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 07:48:24 AM »
The IRC MB5 I hear is THE tire for mud/soft and holds up well in dry/rocks.Like Paul wrote about the Maxxis, I have a Maxxis IT's on and the rear is a good do it all tire,and yes I dont think I'll get another one for the front.I havent heard anything on the HT's,but I have heard the C6001 rear is good for dry/hard/rocky terrain.

teamgreen500

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 04:41:40 PM »
Mike,

Up at the Dam and at places like Hollister it's a VE32 (IRC) Front ($32.99 + tx + $6 Ship from Chaparral OR $38 tx at Lee's...they just got me one) and Kenda Carlsbad Rear (120/90-19 for me, $38.99 + tx + $6 Ship/Chaparral-Right at $50 delivered!). The S-12 is a good tire up there when it rains...you know...that kinda Rain. Do you beleive that just west if us is catagorized as "Rain-Forrest"?

Try mine, you'll see!

Manny

mikesmith

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 09:42:25 PM »
Thats funny you listed those tires,I put them on my parts list a couple weeks ago and just havent made up my mind to place the order.I think the cheapo Maxxis front tire has me gun shy on another cheap front,but I hear the VE32's pretty good.

sdkx500

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 06:51:55 AM »
Paul,
Did u ever get a chance to try the Millvilles?  Any news?

Thanks,
Titus

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 07:52:16 AM »
Sorry, Uncle Sam has had me busier than a one legged man in a ass kicking contest. Haven't done much riding at all  :roll: