Author Topic: k5 clutch issues  (Read 9546 times)

Offline 98kaw500rider

Re: k5 clutch issues
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »
Issue solved , I had the center nut torqued down to much with the impact . It would not let the center move freely when not in gear. Just got done putting it back together but its cold , raining , and windy here in Ohio so i'll have to wait to test ride it.
Thanks guys

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »
 98k5,
Thanks for the follow up post, and glad you got her figured out.. I'm sure there were several other guys like myself trying to think what was going on.  After reading your replies to the other Questions I was stumped... :roll:
  I know big shock...there :lol:
  Take care,
    Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline BDI

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »
Issue solved , I had the center nut torqued down to much with the impact . It would not let the center move freely when not in gear. Just got done putting it back together but its cold , raining , and windy here in Ohio so i'll have to wait to test ride it.
Thanks guys
That does not make any sense to me. It seems to me like something still not right,You should be able to tighten that bolt until you strip the threads and not cause it to stop turning.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

stewart

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 12:20:37 PM »
must be one of the three washers missinng or in the wrong order    big nut has inner splined washer under it  ,,,big washer goes beetween clutch inner basket and outer  and small  washer goes under the big outer basket

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »
Gosh . . .  I can't remember which i put where ( I do have the spline washer under the nut ), guess ill drain fluids for a thrid time tomorrow and check it . I'll be able to do this in my sleep before to long. I know if i crank down on that nut to much the inner basket will not spin freely , maybe have the thicker was in the wrong place ? I dunno  ? ? :cry: ??

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
Gosh . . .  I can't remember which i put where ( I do have the spline washer under the nut ), guess ill drain fluids for a thrid time tomorrow and check it . I'll be able to do this in my sleep before to long. I know if i crank down on that nut to much the inner basket will not spin freely , maybe have the thicker was in the wrong place ? I dunno  ? ? :cry: ??
Make sure the fuel is shut off and lay it on her side.  I have changed clutches at the races without even draining the oil.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »
antifreeze will go everywhere if i lay it down , last thing i want is for that to get into the crank case . Then ill be draining the fluids and cleaning it out at the same time .

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »
coolant shouldn't leak if the cap is tight or get into the cases if everything is torqued properly. If it does there is a problem.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline BDI

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »
If the side case is off then the coolant will have already been drained. It's times like this when I realise what a bargain a manual really is.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline don46

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 04:22:56 AM »
If the side case is off then the coolant will have already been drained. It's times like this when I realise what a bargain a manual really is.

Brian,

at times like those you realize what a bargain a good mechanic is :-D
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 05:56:51 AM »
antifreeze will go everywhere if i lay it down , last thing i want is for that to get into the crank case . Then ill be draining the fluids and cleaning it out at the same time .
My bad, I forgot to mention draining coolant.  Just didnt think it was necessary to drain the oil when it's new.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »
Yea , I figured you forgot to mention that.  :-D No biggie , I'm sure ill figure it out . Think i might have 2 of the washers swapped around , the one behind the inner basket and behind outer basket. If that were the case would it cause the center not to spin freely ? Only when i back off that center nut could i get it to spin freely , just wondering if it might have other issues i'm not aware of. This bike is new to me , i know my way around a bike but i haven't owned a dirtbike since i was 16 and that was almost 20 years ago. Mainly rode quads the last 20 years , have i couple of buddies with banshees and i want to show them whats up with this bike. Thanks again guys.

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
OK , I just took it back apart and as i thought the washers are in the correct order.  :oops: They can only go on one way , Thats what i thought ( checked with babbitts ). Anyhow  , if i crank down with the impact same issue . Inner basket does Not spin freely , if i back off the impact a half turn it spins freely.I made sure that the baskets were clean and free of any dirt as well as the washers . What do you guys think this could be ? Honestly i have changed about 4 clutches in my day and i have never had so many problems with such a simple job.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04:43 PM »
 I'm wondering that although the washers are in the right order, the large flat washer does go between the outer hub and back side of the the inner basket.  I have seen the washers in the right order, however they were BOTH inside the "basket" (stacked) right behind the large nut . 
  If you read Stewart post again about the order it might make more sense.

big nut has inner splined washer under it  ,,,big washer goes beetween clutch inner basket and outer  and small  washer goes under the big outer basket

The only other washer (thrust) is located behind the large (Outer) basket.
    So in order,  bearing in case -- thrust washer --bushing & caged needle bearing- slide on large Outer basket
(the outer basket rides on the caged needle bearing which is supported by the bushing)

Then you have the large flat washer --then slide on the inner basket.

Next up is the splined washer and then the large nut.
 Torque down the nut to 72 ft.lb.

Slide on the fibers and plates.  put in the push rod
(one end should be chamfered that goes in against the clutch arm)
  Put on the little top hat on the end of the push rod and then the last washer.

Almost done...
Slide on the pressure plate and then the springs an bolts, and tighten to 82 INCH POUNDS
 Go around and hook up your clutch cable and put it in gear and check it out... hopefully you can roll
the bike back and forth.
 Throw the rest of the junk back on ,fill up the tranny and coolant and et al.
 set up the  lever adjustment and Pray...I mean fire that thing up and Ride =)

I hope I typed all this down right, 

Please don't take offense, that's not what I'm attempting to get across.
        Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:08:01 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
Brother tuck\0/ seriously puts the most the most effort into his posts! :-)
you are awesome!
best,
big tim