Author Topic: What tire should I get?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
What tire should I get?
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
Have a 93 K5. engine has been sleeved and runs a 86.5mm piston, PC pipe and 304 silencer. Almost a stock bike. Wondering what would be the best rear tire to get. Mainly trail riding in Michigan until winter when I will ice race it. Most of the trails I ride on are sand, clay, and a little mud so I need a good all around tire. Also what's a good size to get? 
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kx666

Re: What tire should I get?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »
The Michalin starcross is a good versital tire

The kenda southwick tire may also work well

Its going to be personal preference, tires dont last very lon on a k5 anyways so you will get a chance to try out many tires

I usually take them off the k5 after a few rides and put them on a smaller bike for the remaining life of the tire

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:23 PM »
Have a 93 K5. engine has been sleeved and runs a 86.5mm piston, PC pipe and 304 silencer. Almost a stock bike. Wondering what would be the best rear tire to get. Mainly trail riding in Michigan until winter when I will ice race it. Most of the trails I ride on are sand, clay, and a little mud so I need a good all around tire. Also what's a good size to get? 

This is my personal tire of preference, the Maxxis IT. Awesome traction, awesome value, and awesome longevity. It's not a "Ricky Bubba" sponsered tire, so Maxxis's are relatively cheap money.  Many of my "Dunlop only" riding buddies have gone to the dark side, and run the Maxxis as well..

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off-road/Maxxcross-IT-Rear.aspx

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Goat

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:26:11 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I will start looking around and see who has the best deal.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »
Pirelli Mt44 has a bunch of Traction. My favorite tread pattern. It's sort of a broken paddle design that's directional. Cup-shaped nobbs. It is great when new, but doesn't last as long as KENDA tires. I use Washougal and Budd's Creek here in Indiana. They have good traction, hold up well, and are priced right. I have heard of some issues with nobbs being torn off, but have not had any on mine. Stay away from hard terrain tires, if you ride sand, clay and mud. I always look at intermediate patterns.

A local bike shop showed me a stamp on the sidewall that indicates the date of manufacture. Old tires don't last and are too hard to hook up, so you have to watch out on the "good deals".

Offline blueoval

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:17:11 AM »
I have been running the Maxxis desert IT for about 6 rides now.  It wears really well.  Last ride was a lot of sharp rocks and hills and it did tear part of a couple of knobs, but for the terrain we were on I would have expected much more tire wear.  It wasn't very expensive and I feel it is a good value for the money.  IMO
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Goat

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I was looking at the MT44. Looks like a sweet tire. I think it will throw mud like crazy. I'm always the leader :D

I was also looking at the Desert IT. Looks like it would be a hard tire to destroy and by the sounds of it, it is.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure which to try first.

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
I ran the Maxxis IT for a season and didn't like it, but we ride alot of different terrain, lots of grassy softer dirt and dirt trails, not much rocky stuff or roads.  It seemed to pack with mud especially the front and was a little sketchy when wet.  I then went to the Maxxis SI (soft intermediate) and found it way better for the riding I do.  It has the knobs spaced apart more than the IT which helps clean better I guess.  I am happy with that tire but I thought if it was good then a Maxxis SM (sand and mud) soft terrain tire would be even better but I haven't used it yet.  Just got it today in the mail.  It looks like it will throw dirt well but I am a little concerned about the ability to side hill with it.  It is pretty much a paddle tire.  I hope it works well as these Maxxis tires always seem to make my fingers bleed when I change them.  They seem to wear well and last good.  The other reason I run the Maxxis is tire size choice.  The 120/90/19 rear isn't too common these days and Maxxis has all tires availible in this size for the rear.

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 06:58:47 AM »
Maxxis Desert IT, no question.
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
For the terrain your riding A Kenda Millville 120/90/19 at 12-13psi will provide you with some arm dislocating hookup.... :evil:

Offline Goat

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
Arm Dislocating is what I prefer :D:D I had a Kenda Millville 120/100/18 on the kx250 that did pretty good. Wasn't wide enough though.

Thanks for the info. Just got another K5 today so Let the tire tryouts begin lol.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »
Ah yes, nothing like yanking your arms out of their sockets exiting a berm on a 500 on a Sunday morning....
Don't be fooled by the numbers. A 120/90/19 Millville is really wide.
The height (100) on the 18" tire takes away some of the overall width of the tire. I run those on my KDX, not nearly as wide.

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
Hi I just put the new Dunlop Geomax tires on my 500 and they seem to have awesome traction in the sand to intermediate. I cant say how durable they are because i have only 3 rides on them. I have also used the IRC-M5B this is a awesome traction tire for soft/intermediate terrain, almost like arm ripping traction, but it does wear out very fast. Hope this info helps..  :-D

Offline Goat

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Haven't gotten a tire yet but am bidding on a M12 front and rear combo as they are cheap.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
Go with whatever the local hot-shot riders use in your area (check TT if you don't know any).  Plus whatever you get the best deal on.

So far for me, that's been the Dunlops or the Maxxis IT.

I really don't know if it makes much difference on the 500 to my riding.
Although I do have Trials tires on my non-500cc bikes.  Now THAT feels different.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI