Author Topic: Yet another weird ass kawdude question?  (Read 3392 times)

kawdude

Yet another weird ass kawdude question?
« on: February 26, 2004, 03:46:53 PM »
Ok, here's another one of my wacko questions...

I am rebuilding my 5 and I'm currently in the process of switching out the bearings in the lower end.  Below summerizes the problem and the question I sent to dealer regarding a recent bearing order I rec'd.  The bearing that I have an issue with is the right case clutch shaft bearing...right under the basket.

Here's my problem...
One of the bearings, appears to be mis-packaged.  The part number in question is 92045-1134.  The package has the correct number.  However, the new bearing has the number NTN 63/22c3 engraved on it whereas, the old bearing has the number NTN 63/22c4.  Visually the bearings appear to be the same size but the new bearing has a plastic ball carriage and the old bearing is metal.  

I'm concerned that this is not the same bearing and the new one, because of the plastic ball carriage, is a lighter duty bearing.  Because this bearing is in the center of the engine this number change is not something that I can ignore.  Can you contact Kawasaki and find out if this is correct or if this bearing is mis-packaged?  Again, if I put the wrong bearing in the engine and it fails it will cause catastrophic damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or anything on this?  I'm stumped.  It could be that Kaw is just cheapening the parts but this is too critical an area to screw around with.

Rick

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 02:16:37 AM »
Wow, now there's a toughy.  Unfortunately, I have never had to change ANY bearing in the tranny, so don't have any actual knowledge.  However, I think you are certainly prudent to ensure your question is answered before you slap everything back together...

Rick

kawdude

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 06:07:43 AM »
This is the response I rec'd from NTN America which explains the difference but doesn't help me fix the problem.
larger. Larger clearances are needed with higher temperatures.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 06:46:21 AM »
It tells me that it may bind under high temps. I would attempt to find the C4 designation BEFORE dropping that bearing in there. The clutch basket area sees lots of heat and stress and if that bearing binds due to the closer tolerances you will have a problem on your hands. Not to mention the OE part is a riveted steel cage, not too sure that plastic stuff will hold up.

DanH1

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 05:04:15 AM »
Wasn't there another post from someone, that explained that the C4 rating, like Paul said, is for higher temps/RPM than the C3? Same goes for crank bearings etc. I sure would find one with a metal ball carrier rather than trust plastic!

Dan

kawdude

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 12:23:29 PM »
Quote from: DanH1
I sure would find one with a metal ball carrier rather than trust plastic!
Dan

The local bearing distributor stated that the cage doesn't make difference???

This is what the dealer has said...

Ok,
here is what i have been told by 3 different people.
these bearings are just from different manufactures (different batches)
they are the same quality and strength and yes you do have the correct one.
if you have any other questions you can contact our parts dept  ask for dave in parts at
772-464-6385

DanH1

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 02:28:14 PM »
Interesting. I'll have to look further into that one.

Dan