Author Topic: 93 K5 complete rebuild from the ground up  (Read 11288 times)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: 93 K5 complete rebuild from the ground up
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »
 Hey G,
   I wish I had some of your "Get up and get r done" ,  My get up & go is going almost as fast as your bike build!+ :lol:
 Actually not getting all the high speed stuff right now will give you a good baseline on what she'll do stock/fresh.
    It will take a little time to get used to what you have now anyway.   After snooping around Destry Abbot's forum He stated more than once the engines built by Varner are surprisingly stock.
    Now I can't vouch for what "stock" is in  Mr. Varners shop.  But I do know that a DNF in those race series is alot worse than not having a bike wound tighter than a watch spring.
   Anyways it looks to be a great job you can enjoy for quite some time.
   Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 05:04:04 AM »
Lol my get r done motivation comes from having nothing to do all winter.

I'm not looking to squeeze ever bit of power out of the bike. I just want reliable and fun. All my friends have a hard time keeping up with me no matter what bike I am on. They have always told me I should race for a living. I have reaction time like a cat. Also treat traffic lights like christmas trees. Green means punch it and get out of my way lol.

Hopefully I can get the bike running and get some videos made this weekend. I'll post some links up on here for everyone to see.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:17 AM »
Mail finally showed up and hour later than normal. Got my head back from JFab already! Looks excellent. Pics will be up tonight.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 05:49:44 AM »
Here's the pics from yesterday. JFabs work is excellent and well worth the money. Everything went together very smooth. Going to get new motor mount bolts today as the ones I got with the bike are wore out or stripped. Just need the cap for the carburetor and it's about ready to fire up. Will get the tank and seat on today after the engine is bolted in properly.

Offline Goat

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
Just added up everything I had to get to completely rebuild the bike and the cost of the bike. Grand total minus coolant and trans oil that I haven't bought yet $2107.06. There were a lot of parts I had to get that I shouldn't have had to like cases, and cylinder. But I basically have a brand new bike that will last many years to come. I'm happy.

Ordered a spare carb off ebay for cheap yesterday and should be here either Thurs. or Fri. Then I can fire the bike up. Bolting the exhaust on tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to do it today. I will get pics of the bike all together tomorrow as well. This weekend I hope to get some video of me tearing sh!t up :-D

Offline Goat

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
My carb will be here tomorrow according to UPS tracking. Have the bike completely together except the carb cap/slide. Got some pics. Should have some video of it running tomorrow after the carb gets here.

Offline Goat

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 08:21:01 AM »
Got my spare carb today. Just needed the cap the cable goes through. But was cheaper to get a used carb from ebay than to go buy a new cap from Kawasaki. New cap = $50ish. Used complete carb = $62 shipped.

Going to get coolant and some tranny oil. Then it's time to fire it up. Hopefully my marks are lined up properly for the timing and it runs. Cross your fingers. Will post progress tonight.

Offline Goat

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
Great news. Bike fired up after 6 kicks. Runs great sounds really strong. Got that big fmf grunt that I like.

Tomorrow is test day. Going up to M61 truck trails with both K5's. Should be fun. Weather channel is calling for rain afternoon sometime. Just means it wont be so dusty :-D

I want to say Thank You: Watercross for the bike, ZETTNORCAL for the subframe and brake assembly I needed for the 46mm forks I had, Stewart for the cylinder, and JFab for doing the head work and compression release. I also want to thank KXRIDERS and it's moderators for the excellent site and priceless knowledge it contains.

Will get some videos this weekend if I can and post them on here in the rides section. Prolly put the link here as well.

Offline Goat

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
Didn't get video when LoveYouChunk and I went to M61 truck trails. He fell on his a$$ lol. I did get some Sunday though as I was re-jetting my bike. It was loading up at low speed and a little rich on top end. Think I got it right where I want it and still idles. Here are the links to the 2 videos I did get thanks to my girlfriend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZfkNhG7DC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVeZiwwjfNM

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
 Man I know it's a great feeling when your plan finally comes together and you get to burn some pre-mix!  :-D
   Please keep an eye on Chunky.  :-)
  Glad your G.F. willing to go out and at least hang with you guys a little while.
Maybe you can find her an old kdx or xr in the 200cc or so range to learn to ride on.  My wife and anything sharp or mechanical are not a good combination... :-o
   Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Goat

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
My G.F. wants a quad to tool around on. She isn't a fan of 2 wheels :P I've been looking for a 97ish 4x4 Polaris sportsman 800. It's something I can plow with and haul wood or whatever but yet she can ride without hurting herself or the quad. Also a bonus is it's automatic.

She can follow Chunk and I with a gas can on the back in case I run out. I have a heavy arm lol. I ran a tank of gas through the bike already. Chunk ran about a 1/4 tank.

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
I just sold a 95 polaris scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke last week , would have been perfect. Pretty quick for a 4x4 , well it was on demand 4x4. ( only engage when needed ) I could beat 400ex's and 250 dirtbikes out the hole with it but then they would pass me at about 30 mph.  :-(   Decent running machine tho , i owned it for years and never did anything to it. Heres a picture of it  .. . .
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/unpure_photo/polaris.jpg

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
This bike was a full automatic and a fresh top end , I live in Toledo, Ohio . I had it on craigslist for a day and sold it to some guy that drove from Tecumseh , Michigan to buy it. I just wanted to add that because i seen that you are from michigan.

Offline Goat

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:57 PM »
I love polaris quads. I used to work for the dealer up here. I got to use the demo sportsman with a plow quite a few times to plow my parents driveway and pond. True 4x4. Scramblers are fun too. Took a used one for a weekend and played in the trails. Had a blast.

Offline Goat

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
Figured I'd give an update. Bike runs excellent. I'm very happy with it. I've ran almost 2 tanks of fuel through it so far. Only thing that has gone wrong was the radiator hose clamp behind the expansion chamber broke and sprayed coolant everywhere. Luckily I smelled it right away. I pulled off the trail and let it cool down for 30 minutes or so. I was only a mile from the truck so I fired it up and flew back before it got too hot and leaked the rest of the coolant out. Everything else was ok. I checked inside the cylinder when I removed the pipe still looks like new. I also still had about a quart of coolant left in the system.

On a side note. I was bored today so I decided to cut out my own reed spacer. I had some aluminum laying around. Also have extra gaskets and longer bolts so I figured why not. I don't necessarily need more power but I do need a project. I'm thinking about buying another bike to rebuild lol I will get pics up tomorrow. Wont be able to try it out until I either go to my parents or Chunk and I go to some trail system in this state.