Author Topic: Sand drag bike  (Read 3778 times)

Offline BDI

Sand drag bike
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:35:04 AM »
I have a queation for all of you sand drag guys. sand draging Is something I have always wanted to do but around here sand draging bikes does not seam to be very popular. I have gone to the drags a couple of times to check it out and there were a bunch of quads in the so called motorcycle class but no motorcycles. What I have been wondering is do people use custom built frames? If you did would that put you in some other sort of class. I would like to build a sand drag bike with a frame much like a prostock drag bike.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline cbxracer30

Re: Sand drag bike
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:19:20 AM »
The rules regarding frame mods is different at almost every track, except for the handful of tracks around the country that use the rules from our track. Alot of tracks are adopting our rules , we have between 350 to 400 entries a race(usually around 25 in each of  the 500 & 750 gas classes). Modified frames have to run in the semi-pro or  pro classes.The biggest drawback to the prostock look is the heavy body. But raked frames and extented swingarms work.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:49:30 AM »
What I want to build would look like a dirt bike. It would use fuel tank and plastics and wheels. What I want is a full tube frame with no rear shock, the frame and swingarm would be all one piece. The lack of a rear shock would mean you would have a strait shot at the engine. this would open up a big door to building some very cool intake stuff.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:09 AM »
Some people like to run a strut  and depending on track conditions it may suit.  Personally I like using a shock as this is a good tuning device to dial in your traction.
Sounds like a cool idea having a 500 motor in a pro-stock setup.  I'd lean towards a chromoly frame as some of the banshees I've seen you can d**n near buck off the rider by lifting the back end.   :-D
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 07:51:56 AM »
Roost and I had buddy with a CR5 he first tried a real short shock turned the wishbone at the back into a upside down t then made a custom intake with 2 -28mm carbs, then he changed it again moved the shock to the right side and had the frame all on the right also this gave him alot more room for the 44tron carb and big K&N filter this was the mod he stuck with. The twin carb setup hat the intake opening[much bigger]  from a snowmobile cylinder graphed on the cr. CBX

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
I think if you built the chassie right it would hook just fine. You would need a well preped track but I think it's one of those things that once figured out would be very fast.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:57:30 AM by BDI »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »
i say go unlimited class, put 2 k5 engines in that badboy!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:35:15 AM »
I think if you built the chassie right it would hook just fine. You would need a well preped track but I think it's one of those things that once figured out would be very fast.
Track prep is key, the Top Fuel & Top Gas bikes always go first then the pro bikes so by the time the 5's get to take the track you get whats left and you have to ride thru it.
i say go unlimited class, put 2 k5 engines in that badboy!!!!! :evil: :evil:
My brother had this thought he was torn between mating the cranks side by side or running the motors front to back. The harsh reality is the bikes in the top bikes in the unlimited class GS or Harley are all up around 2000cc and runing alcohol or nitro. CBX

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »
I'd lean towards a chromoly frame as some of the banshees I've seen you can d**n near buck off the rider by lifting the back end.   :-D
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking of. It would be super light and if built right with flex it would hook up in much the same way as the dragsters do that have no suspension. I'm sure it would be another class of bike. I bet it would be faster then hell.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »
Brian   There are acouple cool carb set up you could use. With the right tuned length of induction system wih bad to the bone reed cage, carb, airbox.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
I'd lean towards a chromoly frame as some of the banshees I've seen you can d**n near buck off the rider by lifting the back end.   :-D
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking of. It would be super light and if built right with flex it would hook up in much the same way as the dragsters do that have no suspension. I'm sure it would be another class of bike. I bet it would be faster then hell.
I'm thinking that our thought process is right along the same lines.  :wink:
Would be a good concept.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.