Author Topic: was at the mx track last weekend  (Read 3787 times)

Offline godswrath

was at the mx track last weekend
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:41:46 AM »
well i was walking around and low and behold a 93kx 500 for sale. i was sitting in the stands just looking at it. one of the things i have heard from different forums was starting a kx5 was or could be a problem. a few hours went buy and the owner went over turned the gas on in in 2 pretty seemly easy kicks fired right up. well i was talking to his brother and he said everything on the bike was orginal even the piston and all eternals. seemed to look like it had really been riden. then he said it dosnt ride like normal kx5s that it was as snappy. kinda lost interest at that point seems most from what i hear are k5s are a beast and that everything on it had not ever been changed so i shunned away from it. any ideas why it would be so easy to kick over and would you be leary if you came across the same bike? i have seen youtube vids where guys are pretty much killing themselves to start one. had no mods at all.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:57:34 AM by Danger4u2 »

Offline snoopjonnyjon

Re: was at the mx track last weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:35:57 AM »
Mine was always nice and easy to start. Compression was per spec in the service manual. Any other 500s I lined up against were pretty much neck and neck, so I don't think it was too tired. However, it is being rebuilt now, so I will see if it still starts this easy.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/snoopjonnyjon/?action=view&current=PB110109.flv

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:51:16 AM »
smooth or snappy it does both, ask any real kX500 lover, it's all in the throttle hand.
If you know the starting ritual then it's easy to start one hot or cold. I still find it easier to fire than a 450

Offline blueoval

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
My 2000 k5 has stock compression - around 150 psi.  When starting it cold I have learned that putting it in gear, rocking it a little to turn the engine over a little will draw fuel into the cylinder and then it almost always starts first kick.  It is not all that difficult to kick over, but it does take a good strong kick. 
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline godswrath

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
well being that he said even the piston was stock made me wonder. i have pretty much seen in other areas where the top end is pretty much done every year.  it sounded good and all but i havnt been in dirt bikes long enough to know what to really look for.so i am on alot of forums

Offline blueoval

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
godswrath, this is a really super forum.  I have learned a lot.  One thing is that all k5's are used and some more than others.  With a little paitience a pretty good one can be had for a very reasonable price.  What usually works for me is just knowing if I buy an older bike I try to have a little extra money to put into it because I know it will need it.  I have found that the k5 is a pretty easy bike to work on.  B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline 500freak

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:41 AM »
starting a k5 with socks on..... it got to have a compression release or its shot. ive went through 4 pairs of boots kicking mine!

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/snoopjonnyjon/?action=view&current=PB110109.flv
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
starting a k5 with socks on..... it got to have a compression release or its shot. ive went through 4 pairs of boots kicking mine!

Then you spend way too much time kicking. After you learn a few tricks, and how to use more of your body. and not just your right leg to kick, even a skinny 155 lb old bald guy like myself can start a KX500 fairly easily with 2-3 kicks cold, 1 kick hot....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »
mine was easy to start when i first got it 142 psi, then piston, hi-per gasket, little head work its boots only 193 psi. :evil:
i can start it within 3 kicks

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »
Did I understand you correctly ? you are going to shy away from a K5 because it starts easy ?
 Mine always starts easy, two or three kicks cold and first kick warm or hot. And mine has full power, ask anyone who has felt my roost. Seems that easy starting should make you want it more.
 If it does have low compression, new rings are a quick and easy fix, this is not expensive like a four stroke rebuild.
  But I may have misunderstood you.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline godswrath

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »
no i bought a 2003 but just thought i would ask a question thats all. i get enough greif from hare scramble riders they are telling me a kx5 is big. ha i say

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »

Just rebuilt this weekend with new crank seals, new piston and replated cylinder. Still starts easy for me.

Offline bob larry

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 06:08:55 AM »
Mine starts 3 cold and 1 hot! Should be easy start once you get your "kick" down pat...

"new rings are a quick and easy fix, this is not expensive like a four stroke rebuild"

Thank the heavens for 2 strokes!   Recycle your 4stroke aluminum today!!
2001 KX500