Author Topic: Help needed again, KIPS.  (Read 4051 times)

Offline IcemanK5

Help needed again, KIPS.
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »
I was checking the KIPs set up on the 90 KX500.
When I pulled the cap off the rod that open and closes the exhaust valves was loose. Looks like the srew that holds the assem. together had come loose. The rod was loose in it's housing.
With it being loose I think that the right side valve may have rotated out of sync.
The bike has good powe, but you dont feel the power jump from the power valves.
I did check to make sure that the rod was working with the motor running, checked out fine.
I know there is a window in the head to veiw the power valves and that it is hard to get to behind the fram of the bike.

Question:
If I where to pull the motor and look into the veiw port can the valves be put back into sync. without pulling the head???

Also can a head on a 90 be bored out for a new piston??

Thanks for your help.

Kurt
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:10:33 PM by Danger4u2 »
The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Help needed again, KIPS.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »
take some pictures and post them o, here so we can see if any parts are missing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:12:02 PM by Danger4u2 »

Offline dave916

Re: Help needed again, KIPS.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:19 AM »
remove the exhaust , with the exhaust off look up the exhaust port with a small torch to check the valves, manually move your kips rod by hand to see if all three valves are moving freely , the two outer valves will be in similar position if timing is correct [ when you pull the kips rod fully  the centre valve should raise and the two outer valve should expose the exhaust sub ports
if you have problem with valves the engine cylinder will have to be removed ,
you may be able to retime  the clutch side valve by removing the kips rod bush       

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »
 Some of these may give you an Idea of how it should be put together.
 (Be advised the previous poster may be referencing a "Flashlight"  not a propane type "torch".)
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Friar-Tuck/KX%20500/Kips%20Valve/

http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=259&pos=5

Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:50:57 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
Having bikes with low hours I have never totally taken apart a K5 motor, until today.  A few weeks ago I blew out one of the fork seals on my AF bike.  I've been saving for a re- valve and spring change for my weight and riding style.  I removed the forks and shock and as I stood there looking at the bike I decided to remove the motor.  I had talked to Stewart a few months back about "fresh'n'ing" the motor.  So today was the day.  Having Stewart give me the 101 on motor dismantle I feel I learned allot.

IcemanK5,
I would think if the KIPS valves are installed properly and they are not worn they can't get out of time.  If I'm wrong you guys can chime in.  I learned what I thought was an inspection port, I think your calling it a view port,  is a cover for the 2 bolts of the KIPS valve.  If we are talking about the same thing it's the plate with 2 bolts above the exhaust pipe hole.
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
The best way to veiw the valves and their timing would be to pull the pipe and the little plastic cover that covers the kips linkage on the side. Open the valve manualy and look in the exhaust port with a light to see if every thing opens and closes as it should.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline IcemanK5

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:25:09 AM »
remove the exhaust , with the exhaust off look up the exhaust port with a small torch to check the valves, manually move your kips rod by hand to see if all three valves are moving freely , the two outer valves will be in similar position if timing is correct [ when you pull the kips rod fully  the centre valve should raise and the two outer valve should expose the exhaust sub ports

I do understand what your said here Dave I'll give it a try.

Thanks guy's for the link to the pic's. Gives me a good idea what a pain this little problem may or may not be.
Really looks like I'm going to have to pull the head. Just want to make sure that everything is in good shape and not broken.

It least with the help I have gotten from you folk's gives me a clear pic. of what I'm looking at.

Kurt

The Nature of Man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in as many times as we can!

Ca. is like a chicken:
Put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.

Offline grywache

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:15 AM »
I am going through the same problem, my valves were so carboned up that they would not open so I took the pipe off and sprayed some carb cleaner on it untill I could get it to move again. They move freely now but I was wondering how do you tell if it is worn or out of time?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:08:23 AM »
Is this a correct statement?

If the KIPS valves are installed properly and they are not worn they can't get out of time.
KX 500 Rider

stewart

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »

If the KIPS valves are installed properly and they are not worn they can't get out of time.
yes

Offline dave916

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:02:33 AM »

it may be  possible that they go out off time if the kips rod holding screw   you spoke about in your first post was missing ,  this over time would cause bush to wear in the barrel,  the clutch side kips valve may then go out off time ,
worn teeth may also be reason
remove exhaust and check  as i said above

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:06:12 AM by dave916 »

stewart

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 03:39:53 AM »
if the screw is missing then the kips  system is not properly  installed

Offline dave916

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »

yes
as Steward said YES is the answer to the statement , but over time from 1hr  1day or 1year things go wrong so the statement does not mean alot
sorry stewart i though it was Icemank5 made the statement  [ there profile pic looks similar]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:28:09 AM by dave916 »

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 11:05:52 AM »
My statement holds true,  they only get out of time if there worn out.
KX 500 Rider

Offline dave916

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 08:23:14 AM »
Having bikes with low hours I have never totally taken apart a K5 motor, until today.  A few weeks ago I blew out one of the fork seals on my AF bike.  I've been saving for a re- valve and spring change for my weight and riding style.  I removed the forks and shock and as I stood there looking at the bike I decided to remove the motor.  I had talked to Stewart a few months back about "fresh'n'ing" the motor.  So today was the day.  Having Stewart give me the 101 on motor dismantle I feel I learned allot.

IcemanK5,
I would think if the KIPS valves are installed properly and they are not worn they can't get out of time.  If I'm wrong you guys can chime in.  I learned what I thought was an inspection port, I think your calling it a view port,  is a cover for the 2 bolts of the KIPS valve.  If we are talking about the same thing it's the plate with 2 bolts above the exhaust pipe hole.

sorry but the orginal statement was advisiing IcemanK5 on his problem [top of page]