Author Topic: 86 crank rebuild  (Read 1752 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
86 crank rebuild
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:57:24 AM »
got the lump out for a teardown/refresh and have discovered one of the big end thrust washers is stuck (welded but not visually deformed) to its fly weight, which has turned blue from the heat where the crankpin goes through it. do i need to worry about having blued flyweights, ie will the heat have weakened them? the plan was a new rod kit/crankpin/thrust washers, but should I get new flyweights? your thoughts gratefully received, kwakman..... :x
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: 86 crank rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:33:33 AM »
got the lump out for a teardown/refresh and have discovered one of the big end thrust washers is stuck (welded but not visually deformed) to its fly weight, which has turned blue from the heat where the crankpin goes through it. do i need to worry about having blued flyweights, ie will the heat have weakened them? the plan was a new rod kit/crankpin/thrust washers, but should I get new flyweights? your thoughts gratefully received, kwakman..... :x

I've rebuilt a few cranks with the same issue with no issues. You'll need new rod kit and crank pin. Stewart on here rebuilds crank. I would get with him for rebuild.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: 86 crank rebuild
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:49:59 AM »
cheers mate, that sighing sound is my wallet not pooing itself. :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....