Author Topic: cylinder ?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline pc500rider

cylinder ?
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:30:27 PM »
i have an 86 kx500 the cylinder has no scoring and measures stock readings but has discolaration lighter in some spots and darker in others does it need to be replated or will it be fine to run like to find out befor i buy new piston thanks

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: cylinder ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
PC,
  What have you tried to clean the cyl up with?
              I don't remember seeing any significant discoloration other than flaking of the Nikasil.  There is a distinct color difference in plating when it first gets chipped off.
 If it was run a while with flaking It will tend to blend in where oil has burnt past flaked off lining.  Can you catch a fingernail or pick in the transition from light to dark?
      Something You may consider is a ball hone or scotchbrite to clean up the old girl.
 I have repaired an old Jonsereds chainsaw from the early eighties that had been in a flooded basement 15 yrs ago.
   After scrubbing up the cyl. it was still in great shape. Unfortunately w/out a good photo most guys won't want to give you a bum steer and have a melt down.
    You may be able to get an honest answer from a machine shop, sorry PC.
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
Pictures would help. Could be oil glazing or plating flaking off as friar tuck stated.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:37:19 AM »
  PC,
 Is there anything in this thread that looks familiar ?

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6890.msg52529/topicseen.html#new

Or can you find some pics that do resemble your situation?
 Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline pc500rider

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:11 AM »
PC,
  What have you tried to clean the cyl up with?
              I don't remember seeing any significant discoloration other than flaking of the Nikasil.  There is a distinct color difference in plating when it first gets chipped off.
 If it was run a while with flaking It will tend to blend in where oil has burnt past flaked off lining.  Can you catch a fingernail or pick in the transition from light to dark?
      Something You may consider is a ball hone or scotchbrite to clean up the old girl.
 I have repaired an old Jonsereds chainsaw from the early eighties that had been in a flooded basement 15 yrs ago.
   After scrubbing up the cyl. it was still in great shape. Unfortunately w/out a good photo most guys won't want to give you a bum steer and have a melt down.
    You may be able to get an honest answer from a machine shop, sorry PC.
thanks for the reply i cant catch any thing with my fingernail i used a ball hone helped alot  still a little discoloration but not bad thanks for the advice

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:04 AM »
Sounds to me like it's just the glazing on the sleeve.  Cant see it being Nikasil flaking, as you said it is an  '86.  I'd just give it a hone before installing the new piston and you should be set.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:51:54 AM »
the 86's are nikasil and they do flake. :evil:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:03:49 AM »
the 86's are nikasil and they do flake. :evil:
Interesting.  I guess you do learn something new everyday.  I thought the '86s were sleeved, sorry for the mis-information.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:39:12 AM »
i think the 85 model was too, not sure, but the 86's definitely are,mine is.hth.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:00:16 AM »
85 is also nikasil plated
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.