Author Topic: 95 Rebuild  (Read 11288 times)

Offline flyingfitz

95 Rebuild
« on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:59 AM »
Have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Pretty much committed to the project at this point!

Fitz

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: 95 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:47:01 AM »
 Hey,
 Mine kind'a looked like that when I bought it too!  Well except my engine was in a few boxes of it's own...
   Just like Home Depot... You can do it, We can help!
     Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline blueoval

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:05:21 AM »
Flyingfitz, looks like quite a job ahead.  One benefit is that you can do everything right from the get go and you will have an awesome looking and dead reliable machine to enjoy.  Keep us posted of your progress with lots of details and pics.   B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:08:07 AM »
Nice project. Keep us posted on the progress. Is that a YZ426F on the trailer?
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
Thanks for the support.  Dropped off the frame, subframe, swing arm and misc hardware at the powdercoater today.  Will post periodic updates.

Have purchased bearings for front and rear wheels, swing arm, shock linkage, rear shock upper and lower, steering neck, and bushings and seals for the front fork.  That should tighten it up for another 15 years!

You have a keen eye.  It is a 2001 WR426. Gotta have that kickstand for chasing my 9 year old around the woods!  I'm looking for a  reasonably priced kickstand for the K-5.  Would like a bolt on, but do not want to spend 150 at moto billet.  Looking for something designed like the WR.

Fitz

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:05 AM »
Progress from the powdercoater.  Will pick it up Monday.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:41:26 AM »
One more.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »
Can't wait to see it finished. Coming along great. thanks.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
While rebuilding the forks today I had an interesting find:  The short rod just under the top clicker on the left fork tube is different from the right.  Also there was an additional nut threaded on the main rod at the top of the stack just under where the top cap threads onto the rod.  I removed the extra nut to make the spring tension the same.  Upon reassemby it was obvious that the rebound rate was significantly different between the two tubes. 

Any takers ?????

Fitz

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »
Powdercoat looks great. Curious how much that cost? I'm thinking about getting both of mine done now lol
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
While rebuilding the forks today I had an interesting find:  The short rod just under the top clicker on the left fork tube is different from the right.  Also there was an additional nut threaded on the main rod at the top of the stack just under where the top cap threads onto the rod.  I removed the extra nut to make the spring tension the same.  Upon reassemby it was obvious that the rebound rate was significantly different between the two tubes. 

Any takers ?????

Fitz

Fits,
Racetech sold Cartridge Rod Stiffners back in the day which was equivalent to about 2-3 of the nuts in thickness (I still have a set some where will post pics if you need). If the rebound is softer in one leg it could be a couple of things. You stated rebuilding the forks, did you check the valve body stack for any debris & bleed the cartridges? It probably is the cartridge rod bushing causing the lack of rebound and if you "Stroke" the cartridge rod while assembled (with no spring) you should have equal amount of rebound per leg.
Hope some of this helps.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Powdercoat was $175.  Included prep and coat of the Frame, Subframe, Swing Arm, Upper/Lower Clamp and Bar Hardware.  T&M Powdercoating in Alton, IL. (Down Near St. Louis). Quick Turnaround. The guy is a motorcycle rider and is familiar with making sure that the coating does not go in bearing recesses or threaded areas.  I am very happy whith the job.  If anyone is interested he has a website.

Fitz

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
DoldGuy.  Thanks for the post. I think that I have those stiffeners plus maybe the oem nut too in the one side.  Cartridges were bled.  Can't figure out the difference in the short rod.  Clymer shows 1 part for 1990 on. Will research a oem diagram online soon.

We figured out something was goofy when we tore the second tube apart.  We just did damage control on the top trying to figure things out without a taking tube 1 totally apart again.  I think that I need to disassemble both tubes completely and compare them side by side to see what I really have and then start over. 

Fitz
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:56:37 PM by flyingfitz »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
Powdercoat was $175.  Included prep and coat of the Frame, Subframe, Swing Arm, Upper/Lower Clamp and Bar Hardware.  T&M Powdercoating in Alton, IL. (Down Near St. Louis). Quick Turnaround. The guy is a motorcycle rider and is familiar with making sure that the coating does not go in bearing recesses or threaded areas.  I am very happy whith the job.  If anyone is interested he has a website.

Fitz

Sounds like a great deal. I thought it would be more than that. Now I'm going to look into it. Thanks.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
Another surprise.... Piston worn and minor scoring on cyl wall....  Was hoping for the cosmetic frame and bearing resto this year and the engine next.  Looks like it will be all happen at once.