Author Topic: Best sprocket for big bikes, decent price  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Sapper

Best sprocket for big bikes, decent price
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »
I have a 05 KX250 and been out of bikes for 20+ yrs. Other than the kids minis for the past 3 yrs. I know Sidewinder is good and thats what we used back in the day, but I can't afford $350 right now. We run Renthal on the minis but I have Renthal on the 250 now. That's what it came with and was about a month old when I got it. There's not much ride time on it and the rear is knubbs. I lliked the lok of the Supersprox but didn't care for their "fine print" lifetime guarantee policy. I can't afford to wait 10-14 days for a replacement in the middle of race season.

I'm looking at Tag, they seem to have some good reviews on Motosport. I'd like Protaper but they got some bad reviews. I figure since there's alot of K5 guys on here, A set that holds up to a 500 will easily hold a 250.

The chain I'm looking at is either the ERT2 gold or an O-ring of sorts.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Best sprocket for big bikes, decent price
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »

Sapper,
  I've always used steel rear sprockets, with no problems.  Tusk,Moose etc.  nothing fancy.
    Chains have been Highest tensile strength I could afford.  That not necessarily being the case on the 250 the other guys may be able to give you a better recommendation.   I do like the X-ring  Idea and just put one on my KX500.  The conventional chains  take more time to maintain, and the Ringed chains you have to be more careful maintaining.
    Are you Racing or Pleasure riding?    And What kind of terrain are you spending most of your time on.  This might make a difference to someone else giving out some Ideas.
   Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
I suggest trying the Ironman Sprockets.  I've had one last all season on the kx500, and that season included 21 races, mostly hare scrambles.  I'm an A rider too so its not like I'm taking it easy.  Its worth the price of them. 
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »
Iron man here also back that up high tensile strength chain and it lasts for a very very long time.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:09:06 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Sapper

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »
Our terrain and style is good ol' Kintuckee clay/dirt mix. We race mx and see very little trail other than heading back home to Pa. once a year. My son will be racing it this year. I'm gettin a little old and have some aches and pains so I don't race anymore.

I forgot about Ironman. Thanks fellas. I'll let you know what I go with or have anymore Q's.