Author Topic: Busted Pipe Mount.  (Read 3322 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Busted Pipe Mount.
« on: February 14, 2004, 04:31:38 PM »
:x Arrg, I busted the top pipe mount at the frame. I am guessing I need to weld it, but have no clue. Has anybody busted the same mount, does anyubody got pictures of their rigs? I hope I hav enot  totally screwed up.  :(

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »
That things a given to break, not if but when. I got a piece of steel strapping from Home Depot and welded that right up. If you leave it and run it, it will mess up the exhaust port.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 05:15:29 PM »
Do you happen to have a picture of the weld job? My welder wants to see a picture so he can duplicate (?) it.

Thanks Paul,

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 05:21:09 PM »
I'll take a pic and get it posted as soon as I can

DTRUBEY

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:04:21 AM »
Did anyone ever come up with a picture of this? I need to get it done to my bike before it breaks.

mikesmith

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 02:27:49 PM »
Theres a picture if you go to the "gallery" page 4,and click on "Dans resurected KX500".

Offline GreenMachine

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 02:53:20 AM »
I made some mounts that work on the same principle as the radiator mounts. I will try to get some pics this week end if any one is interested. They have the same mounting distance as the stock and provide about the same amount(maybe slightly less) play as stock mounts. Made 3 sets 2 years ago and still working today.

Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 03:42:00 AM »
Quote from: GreenMachine
I made some mounts that work on the same principle as the radiator mounts. I will try to get some pics this week end if any one is interested. They have the same mounting distance as the stock and provide about the same amount(maybe slightly less) play as stock mounts. Made 3 sets 2 years ago and still working today.

Jody
I'd like to see them, I'd like to find a way to keep them from busting.  :)

Rick

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 03:55:43 AM »
I agree.  Pics would be great.

DTRUBEY

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 12:04:20 PM »
Anyone ever come up with some pictures?

Offline GreenMachine

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 04:10:09 AM »
Ok guys, I am sorry, but I forgot about this post. My new job is eating my free time. So I don’t have a picture. But I will try to give a Rick description on how to make the mounts.

Materials needed (for each mount.)

1 6mm bolt 1.5 inches long
2 rubber washers .375 thick x 1.0 od x .300 id (more on how to make later)
2 6mm nuts
1 piece of flat steel .125 thick
2 6mm fender washers 1.0 od
1 piece of  steel tubing .750 long x .250 id x .325 od

Ok first lets make the backing plate. I used 500 series stainless for this, but that might be hard for people without access to the proper tools to work with. If you have an old broken mount (every one probably does)
Use the mount to trace the shape of the backing plate. Then saw cut grind or file the piece into shape. Once it is done take the old mount and use it to line up to drill the holes. You will need to drill  a .250 hole in either end. One will be oblong the other will be a nice round hole. Or at least it should be. The end with the oblong hole it to mount to the frame the other is where we will be building the rubber mount. I drilled 2 holes right next to each other then used a pencil die grinder to remove the material between them.  Once you have the holes drilled, install the bolt into the round hole and screw a nut on it. I then tack welded the head of the bolt to the steel to keep it from ever being able to turn. The nut was kind of an accident cause it was originally just to hold the bolt  for the tack welds.  But it worked out great as my spacer. Now install a fender washer onto the bolt  then the piece of tubing. Now onto the rubber washers. I don’t really know where to get the rubber matting, I get it from work. But this is how I make the washers. I  Take a piece of  tubing with and id of about an inch grind around the end of it at a 45 degree angle till it comes to a sharp edge on the end. Using this like a cookie cutter I place the rubber on a nice sturdy piece of wood and hammer the tubing through the rubber till it sticks into the wood just a bit. Then knock out the piece and you have a nice round piece of rubber. For the hole in the middle I use a piece of the .325 od tubing and the same method as before. Once you have completed your rubber washers. Then install one over the tubing  butted up against the fender washer.  You should have the mount on your bike at this time. I don’t remember if I hade to enlarge the holes in the mount on the pipe its self, but you might have to. Install your pipe onto the mount. It should slide over the end of the tubing and rest against the rubber washer. Then install the other rubber washer on the out side of the pipe mount. Then the last fender washer then the nut. Tighten the nut up till the fender washer it snug against the piece of tubing. The tubing is the spacer that controls how tight your mount is. The longer the tubing the looser the mount is on the pipe. The shorter the tubing the tighter the mount on the pipe.

Ok, I have done this all pretty much from memory while at work. But it should give you the basic idea of how it works. I will try to get some pictures. But will be out of town for a while, so it will be at least a week  
Before I get too. Hope this helps out.

Later,
Jody

Offline GreenMachine

Busted Pipe Mount.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 11:58:08 AM »
Ok, here is a pic to help out, not a very good one, but maybe it will help out a bit. The mount on the pipe is in between the rubber washers at the arrow.

Later,
Jody