Author Topic: Forks  (Read 45452 times)

Motorrad

Re: Forks
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »
I have installed the entire front end off a 2008 kx450f. 

Had emig racing make me a steering stem. So everything just bolted on.  Easy as pie. 

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:10 AM »
Motorrad could you post some pictures of the new front end

Do the tripple tree stops still work

and have you had a chance to ride the bike if so how does it feel turning wise and stability.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:30:16 AM by cbmoor »

Motorrad

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
Motorrad could you post some pictures of the new front end

Do the tripple tree stops still work

and have you had a chance to ride the bike if so how does it feel turning wise and stability.

Had to make a new steering stop... very simple, tucks under the original... if I ever choose to go back to stock, or? I can take the bolts out, and it works as original (no wider than stock)

(note picture is before I welded it on)

Havnt ridden yet, All the suspension (forks and shock) are at Precision concepts being revalved and sprung for desert racing. and to play nice with eachother (work with eachother)... 

I figure it should turn better, and stability should be fine with the steering stabilizer... as destry abbott said, they ran 23mm and the pro-circiut  rear link... so 24mm should be very similar... If not, Ill get a set of 2009 triples (23mm)...

Here are the only two pictures I have at the moment in mock up stage...  Ill take more when I get it all back and put together for good.  Sorry they are taken with my phone

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:52:31 PM by Motorrad »

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
Cheers for that it looks really good, Thats a good idea with the stops. Look forward to hearing how it rides and turns

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:12 AM »
hay motorrad, how much did the steam cost?

Motorrad

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 06:34:32 AM »
Stem was 150.  Bushing for top clamp he wanted 30. I made my own bushing.. Easy if you have a lathe..

Motorrad

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
picked my suspension up today... Forks feel great (off the bike, bounce test)...

Front end is On for good (need brake pad Pin.. dumb part)..

Need to mount my Baja Designs Dual sport kit.  (Yes, Dual sport Kit. (evil laugh))

Rout all cables wires etc etc..

plastics just hung on for end of night motivation...

Wow The different colored wheels Bothers me... Need to do somthing about that ASAP...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:34:25 PM by Motorrad »

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
Looking really good must get something done with mine now. But I must admit not sure I want to just yet as I have just got my frame powder coated and it would be a shame to start welding on the front of it just now. I wonder how hard it would be to get an enginering firm to make new tripple clamps that you could just install the kx5 stem. As for the wheels I thought the front wheel was interchangable with the Kxf. it is with my 2001 kx5. But the Blacks wheels look great on the bike I made a set up with excel rims with stainless spokes on the standard kx5 hubs.

Motorrad

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 04:30:17 AM »
Emig racing was going to make me clamps for $800...   thats clamps/stem all pretty billit... 

The way this is welded on, you can cut it off, and never know it was done...

Motorrad

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Forgot to add..
For the Record.
We decided to go with the following springs

Front (stock 2008 Kx450) .47kg
Rear. 5.6 Eibach

Will update how it feels as soon as I get it out to ride it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:32:17 PM by Motorrad »

Offline joko

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
 Motorad,  How does the new front end ride?

Motorrad

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2011, 07:19:13 AM »
Motorad,  How does the new front end ride?

Rides good...
The front is setup to kx450 desert race valving. and it is CLOSE.. very very Close..  tHE REAR... he did lots of magic on to make it keep up with kx450 front end goodies.. (helps when you have a good friend that runs a division of precision concepts).. 

Last trip out I hit a DITCH at about 65mph... and If it was stock KX suspension I would have been on the ground bleeding... instead I just bottomed out and kept on going..

Ill give a better indepth of how it works what I want to change etc after this weekend.. as I will be able to get some HOURS on the bike... (No more 2 gal motor wonders)

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
I think I have forks done by ZR1 racing but I'm not sure. I can't get it to bottom at all. I've flat landed 4th gear triple jumps and dropped off ledges that would've blown up my old 99 CR250 forks. I've said on a number of occasions that my k5 handling murders my old cr- by a long shot.

My problem is in the shock. It's fine for beginning type rides- like me after short hiatus, but once I start getting more comfortable and pick up the speed, there's a point when it starts to buck. If I were to hit a ditch at 65 it would buck me straight over the bars with authority and there's nothing I could do about it.

I'm happy with my forks per se, for my skill level, but I hate my shock.

Motorrad

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
Bump to the top for JOKO

Offline conbread

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
i was wondering if you was able to run the k5 front wheel and brake setup, or did u have to run the 08 450 stuff???