Author Topic: Forks  (Read 45415 times)

Offline KXDINO

Re: Forks
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2015, 06:06:59 AM »
Slip forks and wheel in and rode it , just as that guy who won the 2 stroke race thing in usa , sean colliers , than mxa magazine tested it, our forks were fully gold valve as well , they were off my sons 15 450 , sadly they had to go on the 15 bike , as it up for sale to be replaced by a 16 , I did not worry about measurements , std k5 triple clamps , whole 15 front brake as well , one day I will switch to this front end when they become more available , at the moment I saw a set for 1k , to much for me , I wait and get a roller with a stuffed engine . We tested this set up at my own track against the 01 framed k5 to see how it went , the front showed no signs of washing out , held its line well and stayed up in the stroke better , impressed.

Motorrad

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2015, 06:36:24 AM »
I'd be interested to measure those forks. May go to the dealer this week to figure up their offset... I'd bet they do change the offset a positive amount, but it's less noticeable than mine due to running the stock tripple.  Which I couldn't do....  Even mine took a while to really notice... But once I did.. It drive me crazy.  

I also need to measure a later model set of k5 forks..   I'd bet they are different than my blue leg ones...  And kawi never bothered to update the trail information in the paperwork, since it would have been a small change (+2mm axle offset if I had to guess

which If that is the case.  a change to the later model 2015 forks from the later model K5 forks in stock triple clamps, would in all accounts feel like it handles the same, as it would only be a +1mm change in offset.

somone needs to measure axle offset on late model K5 forks, so everyone in the future knows what they are dealing with, when they just plug in a late model set of forks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:23:16 AM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »
Fork length............

Okay. at first I thought I had an issue.   Since my 450 forks were so much longer than my blue leg forks....

So I called up MR Sandblaster to dig through his junk piles and measure some K5 forks for me.

Hmm.   all his measure the same as my 450 forks...   even his blue leg ones.  :|

Being my forks were off one of wards bikes.   Perhapse there is some team green magic in them to make them shorter for short jeff ward................

speaking of short.  

Ive decided to remove the Emig dogbone in the rear of mine, to lower it  back down (too d**n tall for me)....     re-install the stocker.   but to compensate, suck the forks up in the triple clamps.

The "FIX" that Procirciut  originally made those bones for, was to fix the KX buck that you got due too too agressive of a linkage rise (emig link makes rear softer).    But this was for stock suspension, all mine has been revalved etc, to do away with that issue already, so all the emig link is doing for me is raising the rear for better turning.... somthing I can achieve with fork hight.

Poking around the 450 forums The 450 guys seem to like 10-12mm up in the clamps (stock is 6ish)..     so Im going to go for 12mm, and run a bit more sag in the rear.as I like my bikes with a wee bit more sag.. (will probaly run 105ish.mm in rear).  If its twitchy, Ill lower the forks.   But since I run a scotts damper.   I bet its fine.

thoughts?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:02:40 AM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »
The bike feels a mile and a half lower.    holy Cow.........

its like sitting on my nephews KX65.  :lol:

Offline reklessj

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
The bike feels a mile and a half lower.    holy Cow.........

its like sitting on my nephews KX65.  :lol:
Just your size then!!!  :wink:
When are we gonna get the families together and ride?
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Motorrad

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »
Just measured the 2015 fork...  Same offset as my 08..  (Rough measurement)...    So the 2015 fork would change geometry. Based on my blue leg fork measurements....     Now my theory of kawi changing things with the later forks and never updating their propaganda still may hold true...   Which of why perhaps no difference was noticed going from late forks to 2015...  But mine was going from blue to 2008.....

Motorrad

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2015, 04:32:42 AM »
rode the bike this weekend.    couldnt do the full high speed desert stuff as normal (its 108F out there right now)...

but low speed, trails etc.    its MILES BETTER.    holy hell.  it handles awesome!!!!..  time will tell with the 5th gear WOT sand wash stuff....

current setting.

20mm offset clamps.
forks are 10mm up in the clamps (measured from top of fork, not cap).
Rear race sag set at 104.75mm
90/100 mx71 front  with tubliss running 8psi
maxxis desert IT rear running ZERO PSI tubliss.

somone still needs to measure axle offset of the later KX500 forks for future peoples information......

Motorrad

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
To give you an idea of how it sits now..

Before with emig bones.

After

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »
Looks good, wish I had that kind of riding area.
KX 500 Rider