Author Topic: Throttle cable "c" clip  (Read 4012 times)

Offline blueoval

Throttle cable "c" clip
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:34:41 AM »
Hello.  I am wondering if I could get some help with where to get the "c" clip that holds the throttle cable in the top of the carburator.  I have done a search and cannot find any information on this site.  When I go to the local Kawasaki dealer they look at me like I am from another planet and have no idea what I'm talking about.  I bought a 2000 KX500 and the throttle cable is in terrible shape and the throttle would not snap back, so I was changing it and......well, the clip went flying 20 ft across the garage and I can't find it.:cry:         Does anyone safety wire the cable to the carburator?  Any help would be much appreciated.  ted
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:37:18 AM by blueoval »
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline blueoval

Re: Throttle cable "c" clip
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »
Thank you very much.  That was useful.  What a fast response.  Really appreciate the information.  ted

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:14:49 AM »
You know what,,, I appreciate that you tried to help your local dealer out trying to get parts there. This economy is going to weed a lot of them out unfortunatly. You should print off that page and take it into them and show them where they are loosing business. I like my dealer for the expertise,,, that I don't have the time or money to get,,,therefore I'm willing to pay more,,, sometimes for parts and equiptment.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:31:39 AM »
I sold auto parts for a long time in a mom and pop type store. We took great pride in trying to find all sorts of parts not even related to auto. Most part stores can get almost anything that they try to get. After I quit selling and became a normal mortal I became very frustrated just trying to fine the semple stuff. All that is going to be left someday is Autozones and if you ever tried to get something that wasn't in the computer you know what I mean. I to try to buy from dealers and do not mind paying for service but when I do I expect service. I think it has something to with the fact that the people working in the stores/dealers aren't smart enough to know that the bill on a cap goes to the front and that underwear are just that, underwear.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:17:27 AM »
I to try to buy from dealers and do not mind paying for service but when I do I expect service. I think it has something to with the fact that the people working in the stores/dealers aren't smart enough to know that the bill on a cap goes to the front and that underwear are just that, underwear.

Amen, brother.
I hate that the guys working at dealerships here think they know the part from memory, and bring back something thats not even close to the part I asked for.  Somehow they get to work in a cool place and probably ride a bike, so then a week later they are experts. They will "order" it for you, but only if you pre-pay and drive back up there to pick it up. Its hard to support that. I agree, its worth it to order parts through good people in the business and support those who support off-road interests. Some dealerships are only interested in selling you a new motorcycle, and that is frustrating. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:21:00 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
amen again, most dealerships don't spend nearly enough time or energy to help the customer get what they are looking for. i know at the biggest local shop were i live, you could wander around in ther for an hour before someone asked if they could help find something for you. i think even then they are just annoyed that your still there and want to get rid of you so they can go back to b.s.ing with their buddies or texting their hommies. i have had to prove to them that the part i'm looking for actually exists. now i try to get all my bike stuff from the local honda dealer, they treat me like gold and always have from day one.

Offline Spider

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
For "C" clips, cir-clips, "O" rings and other odd stuff I like to go to the local hardware store. It's usually cheaper and I can get one size larger and one size smaller if i am unsure.

Dale

Offline blueoval

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »
OK since the issue with the clip the local Yamaha dealer told me about a small Kawasaki dealership in the next town - Tulare, CA -  They new exactly what I was talking about and had them in stock.  They also had clips for the needle jet in stock.  I am fortunate to have found a dealership (15 miles away from my hometown Kawasaki dealership), but it is WELL WORTH THE DRIVE.  It is just great to know there are still businesses out there who care about customer service.  They have earned my business and I will gladly do the drive to deal with competent, caring people.  BO

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
And to answer your original question, it is quite common to lockwire the throttle cable to the carb on any bike that doesn't have a locking mechanism.  It only needs to come out ONCE for you to do it on every bike that you own.  A puckering experience. Cam.