Author Topic: Bird Dog  (Read 5648 times)

Motorrad

Bird Dog
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
 Looking at getting a furry hunting companion.
I do all Upland game (long hikes, rough SoCal terain) so long haired breeds are out, as lots of thorns briars etc to get stuck in long coats.. But this isnt a MUST... will make some exceptions.

Must be a good family dog, as that will be Job #1, hunting is just a reward and for fun on the weekends.. Good with kids etc...

Plan on raising (her) prefer females as they dont pee on my motorcycle and car wheels... from a pup..

I have a few breeds in mind. Curious as to what everyone elses input is (if there are any other bird hunters out there)...

That and it will be nice to have a light chat going with the nastieness going on in other threads...

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: Bird Dog
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
My one year old Pitbull is all that and he eats my wifes chickens...does that make him a bird dog?
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »
My one year old Pitbull is all that and he eats my wifes chickens...does that make him a bird dog?

Sure does..

I had a "Cheese hound" once...  german shepard Charpe  Mix

Dog knew the sound of a cheese wrapper from half an acre away. (kraft singles)..

Funny, Stubborn dog, acted as if she didnt hear you anytime you gave a command though.. 

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »
Motorad,
My companion (besides the wife) is a yellow lab, English (he has the Fat Head), and covers everything you just mentioned with priority given to "Family Dog". I am not a hunter (take it easy on me guys) but do take trail hikes with him & he loves it. As a puppy he would sit & watch the birds fly over head while ignoring cats, squirrels, etc as his dad is certified in all that fancy lingo stuff. We originally got him for my son, but he likes hanging out with the Old Guy and is always with me (laying beside me now). The English Breed Lab is alot stockier in build (he is about 110 lbs) versus the American Breed & can not run a marathon (I can't either) but have plenty of endurance to outlast what ever I can do. This dog has also been very easy to train & does not have an aggresive attitude towards other dogs, although if someone comes to our house he Sounds as he is going to Eat Their A__ up, he will lick them to death (don't tell anyone). I have been around dogs for many years and my last two for almost 30 years combined and surely would recommend this breed.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:47 AM »
I recently had a Brittney that was an amazing hunter.  The problem was that was all she wanted to do.  She ignored everyone most of the time unless we were hunting.  She just ran around the yard hunting birds constantly.  She was real good with people when she was inside, but outside she was hunting.  If I took her out, I had to pay special attention to her or she'd hunt herself miles away.

I won't own another Brittney as a family dog unless we're settled down and doing a lot of hunting, fwiw...

I'd vote lab, probably.  How about labradoodle? :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
Im glad to hear that about the Brittany. I had considered one, but had heard similar things from other owners.. so they are now out.

The few I have been considering are the following in no specific order

-Llewellin Setter

-Irish Red Setter (bred for hunting, had one as a kid, special place in my heart)

-Labs (yellow black green etc)

-Golden retrievers, (If you can find one that isnt bred out)

-Other????

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
Hopefully your new companion is not "Furry" :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kx560

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »
We have not done too much hunting the last several years but I would have to suggest a chesapeake bay retriever. My family had several growing up and they were great family dogs and could really hunt as well. Not only that but they were good watch dogs. Only problem would be the wet dog smell but you get used to it. I will get another but I have rescued a 110 pound pittbull named Rambo, so another dog is out for a while.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:35:35 AM »
OH YA, now your talkin my language. my vote would be on chesapeake bay retrievers. they have all the qualities you are looking for and are SUPER loyal to the owners. i have owned 3 chessies and they have all been top notch dogs. we have a 1 1/2 year old female now that we invested alot of money in to start our chesapeake breeding kennel. we hope to find a top quality male in the spring. the new dog knew from instinct how to hunt! i don't have alot of time to train her, but last summer i took my youngest son hunting in the mountains for the usual stuff and that dog flushed for us and pointed all on her own with very little commands. one thing that i find is a good plus is that they can be aggressive with strangers if they are acting shady. very good protective dogs, although a little hard headed. feel free to contact me if your interested in talking about chesapeakes. send me a pm. 

MADDOGGY               

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »
Well. Decided on a Llewellin setter.
Direct decendent of
"Hank" from the TV show "hunting with hank"
And "Dash" from "Dash in the uplands", "Upland days with Dez and Dash"

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:13:19 PM »
Dogs are just another mouth to feed,another body to make a mess and then they die and break your hart. f**k having a dog :x
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 03:31:03 AM »
Dogs are just another mouth to feed,another body to make a mess and then they die and break your hart. f**k having a dog :x
looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

did your mom not hug you enough as a kid?

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
No  :x I had a german shepherd named sherry that I loved and the d**n thing died. It was the first thing ever to die in my life.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:56 PM »
Quick update 
Here she is (Dixie)... been a great pup thus far... VERY SHARP!.. Runs around with her nose... and picks up on traning right away...